Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #5,657 of 9,207
Quote:
Kinda have to agree on the HD800 being crap on almost any low/mid-fi gear. Unless we're talking syrupy OTL tube amps, but that's about it. 

The LCD 2.2 is definitely more forgiving with a lesser chain than the HD800 is, but the LCD 2 also hits a wall when talking about scaling up. I keep hearing the HD800 get better and better as amp technology pushes further and further. 

+1

i feel as if my hd 800 are still not showing me what they're capable of, as if despite the fact that the WA6-SE and WA2 are already decent amps, theres much more to be resolved, with better amps, they still are holding back...

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #5,658 of 9,207
Theres been a few times when I've thought...Right I'm gonna try the HD800's, sell some gear and just go for it. But then I think my gear is just not up to task for them. Matching is so important whether its low end or high end. I'm soo happy with the K701's on my current set up that it has removed the urge for the HD800's for now.

The LCD2's are imo an exception to the rule in regards to amping and source. They are a high end hp that really does play well with lower end gear, as well as high end ofcourse.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #5,659 of 9,207
Quote:
Theres been a few times when I've thought...Right I'm gonna try the HD800's, sell some gear and just go for it. But then I think my gear is just not up to task for them. Matching is so important whether its low end or high end. I'm soo happy with the K701's on my current set up that it has removed the urge for the HD800's for now.

The LCD2's are imo an exception to the rule in regards to amping and source. They are a high end hp that really does play well with lower end gear, as well as high end ofcourse.  

Hence, the Bifrost/Asgard combo should do well with the LCD 2.2 ?

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #5,661 of 9,207
Quote:
Absolutely. I would look at the Asgard2 though

Thanks. Actually, I have the Asgard 1 (got it one week before Asgard 2 was launched 
mad.gif
). I am planning to get the A2 anyway.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #5,662 of 9,207
I agree that the LCD2 does play well with lower end gear, but boy was I in for a surprise when I inserted the M51 into my rig. It literally transformed my LCD2.2! The difference in clarity, detail and soundstaging was remarkable. I gained everything that I thought was missing from the LCD2.2. It really succeeded in making my HD800 expendable. Don't get me wrong, the HD800 also yielded some nice improvements, though mostly it just sounded a little smoother and more refined. To these ears at least, the LCD2.2 is like a whole new beast with the M51. YMMV.

EDIT: Fyi, this was coming from a Bifrost. I also tried a BDA-1 which was a nice upgrade from the Bifrost as well, but the M51 eventually won out with much better balance top to bottom.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,663 of 9,207
You make it seem as if the changes were night and day...
Quote:
I agree that the LCD2 does play well with lower end gear, but boy was I in for a surprise when I inserted the M51 into my rig. It literally transformed my LCD2.2! The difference in clarity, detail and soundstaging was remarkable. I gained everything that I thought was missing from the LCD2.2. It really succeeded in making my HD800 expendable. Don't get me wrong, the HD800 also yielded some nice improvements, though mostly it just sounded a little smoother and more refined. To these ears at least, the LCD2.2 is like a whole new beast with the M51. YMMV.

EDIT: Fyi, this was coming from a Bifrost. I also tried a BDA-1 which was a nice upgrade from the Bifrost as well, but the M51 eventually won out with much better balance top to bottom.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5,665 of 9,207
Night and day? Maybe not...

I mean, obviously it still sounded like an LCD2. So, if I could draw some sort parallel here, I'd say kind of similar to going from an LCD2 to an LCD3.

And it only cost more than actually going from a LCD-2 to a an LCD-3.

LCD-2 $1000
LCD-3 $2000

Bifrost $350-450
M51 $2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back