Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5,671 of 9,207
I placed an order on the new Burson Soloist SL to go with my hd600's,but got the upgrade bug and sold the hd600's with the intensions of getting the LCD2's.My Soloist SL is on hold right now,but I have to decide in a day or two what to do,here are the options I have given myself (a)keep the Soloist SL (b)get the original Soloist (c)get the HPA V200.Right now I am leaning towards the v200,but if the Soloist SL has enough grunt for the LCD2's I would love to go in that direction and save $400.Don't like what I am hearing about the original Soloists volume clicking noise....I'M SO CONFUSED!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,672 of 9,207
shouldn't definitely be enough for the LCD-2, they're not hard to drive, and the SL has like 2 watts, which is still way more than enough for them. sound should be about the same, i don't know anyone that's heard both of them though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #5,673 of 9,207
Burson just emailed me back about this very question and they recommend the the original Soloist over the newer SL version for the LCD2's??This is about as clear as MUD to me right now
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,674 of 9,207
Heard both Soloist and V200. Can't go wrong with either one, though the Soloist was too relaxed sounding for my taste. Piano on the V200 was spectacular though. In the end, the Mjolnir's assertiveness swayed me.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #5,675 of 9,207
I owned and thus heard both the V200 and Soloist at length. Both are fantastic choices and the V200 is the warmer and more relaxed out of the two. The Soloist is more neutral (which is smth I learnt to appreciate) and thus sounds a bit brighter without being at all harsh. I really liked both and decided to keep the Soloist as its part of my Conductor lol. :)

I find the DAC at least as important though - what are you going to run either of these amps off of?

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #5,676 of 9,207
Burson just emailed me back about this very question and they recommend the the original Soloist over the newer SL version for the LCD2's??This is about as clear as MUD to me right now:smile:

No volume clicking issue with my Soloist. But, if you are worried about it just stick with the SL.

Fyi, any of the Burson's will drive the LCD2 with ease.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5,677 of 9,207
Hey BRAC,that makes sense to me,but here is the exact quote I got from Burson......
" I think the Soloist will bring additional benefit to the LCD2. The LCD2 is not an easy to drive phone and compared to the HD-600, it does need more power. In terms of sensibility, the LCD2 is more in line with the Senn. HD-800."

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #5,678 of 9,207
I certainly don't dispute that claim.

It really becomes more about what you are willing to spend.

EDIT: Btw, my former HA160 was able to drive both my HD800 and LCD2.2 with good results. Now, my Soloist is obviously better, but you get the idea...:wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5,679 of 9,207
Quote:
Hey BRAC,that makes sense to me,but here is the exact quote I got from Burson......
" I think the Soloist will bring additional benefit to the LCD2. The LCD2 is not an easy to drive phone and compared to the HD-600, it does need more power. In terms of sensibility, the LCD2 is more in line with the Senn. HD-800."

Surely, they meant to say:

In terms of sensibility sensitivity, the LCD2 is more in line with the Senn. HD-800.

If that's what they meant, I disagree.  The LCD-2 is more sensitive than the HD-800 (but it is less sensitive than the HD-600).  Try connecting an LCD-2 to a Sansa Clip+ or an iPod.  Now try the same thing with an HD800. I've never had the opportunity to try this with an HD-800, but I've read many accounts of people using even the iPod Shuttle to drive the LCD-2.  Of course, no one says the LCD-2 sounds its best on 30mW, but I've never heard anyone commenting on an HD-800 sounding "surprisingly good" on 30mW.  

The LCD-2 will, however, reward the user who supplies it with more power. The more power you give it, the better it sounds - up to the maximum permissible 15W per channel.  In my experience with the LCD-2 rev.1, as power is increased, the bass control improves as one would expect, but so does the mid and treble - yielding higher resolution across the spectrum, which improves the imaging and stage, as well.  But the greatest improvement is one of dynamics, giving you more slam or punch with recordings that call for it.  Giving you drum hits that have serious impact and even a more percussive quality  when piano is played loudly (fortissimo).  In short, more power gives the LCD-2 greater detail and dynamics across the spectrum.

Mike 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #5,681 of 9,207
Yep...I agree,dat clears up the mud nicely.I figure it makes no sense going 80%,may as well get an amp that can take things to there potential.Leaning towards the V200,thanks for the input.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #5,682 of 9,207
Quote:
Yep...I agree,dat clears up the mud nicely.I figure it makes no sense going 80%,may as well get an amp that can take things to there potential.Leaning towards the V200,thanks for the input.

Very nice. From what I've heard the V200 is a great amp and pairs really well with the LCD2.

I wish that I had gone straight to the Soloist and skipped over the HA160, it would have saved me a few bucks.
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #5,683 of 9,207
Quote:

Agree with that. Many will vouch that going through intermediary steps is actually costing more. The other way of looking at buying the V200 OR Soloist (OR similar tier amp) is to get whatever you can get a better deal for.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,684 of 9,207
Quote:
Very nice. From what I've heard the V200 is a great amp and pairs really well with the LCD2.

I wish that I had gone straight to the Soloist and skipped over the HA160, it would have saved me a few bucks.
beerchug.gif

Yea...LOL, I lost a few bucks on the HA160 as well,probably not as much as yourself(hee hee)Anyway,I ordered the V200 a few min ago,I'm at inner peace right now thinking the combo(V200,LCD2 r.2) is going to fit my taste.I like a nice warm sound with no piercing highs,but good impact,think I am on the right track.
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #5,685 of 9,207
I think you mean less sensitive than the HD800, but more sensitive than the HD600??? HD800 is completely utter crap with low end gear from my prolonged experience, and even so with hifi gear that doesn't pair well. I was also under the impression that the LCD2 does not scale as much and reaches a limit as I and many others have observed.
Quote:

Surely, they meant to say:

If that's what they meant, I disagree.  The LCD-2 is more sensitive than the HD-800 (but it is less sensitive than the HD-600).  Try connecting an LCD-2 to a Sansa Clip+ or an iPod.  Now try the same thing with an HD800. I've never had the opportunity to try this with an HD-800, but I've read many accounts of people using even the iPod Shuttle to drive the LCD-2.  Of course, no one says the LCD-2 sounds its best on 30mW, but I've never heard anyone commenting on an HD-800 sounding "surprisingly good" on 30mW.  

The LCD-2 will, however, reward the user who supplies it with more power. The more power you give it, the better it sounds - up to the maximum permissible 15W per channel.  In my experience with the LCD-2 rev.1, as power is increased, the bass control improves as one would expect, but so does the mid and treble - yielding higher resolution across the spectrum, which improves the imaging and stage, as well.  But the greatest improvement is one of dynamics, giving you more slam or punch with recordings that call for it.  Giving you drum hits that have serious impact and even a more percussive quality  when piano is played loudly (fortissimo).  In short, more power gives the LCD-2 greater detail and dynamics across the spectrum.

Mike 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back