Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 4, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #4,996 of 9,207
Just while we're on the subject of Audio gd I've been pleased with the C2.2 for a while now, it powers both my plannars very respectably. It's really quite a bargain!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=audio%20gd%20c2.2&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audio-gd.com%2FPro%2FHeadphoneamp%2FC-2new%2FC2.2EN.htm&ei=q51FUOKaBKi90QXbq4GQCg&usg=AFQjCNHTGHenaNmlCwESuW22GySr6myrjg

I replaced the opamps with a pair of LT1028ACN8 which are very transparent and much better than the stock and overly warm burr brown's.   

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4,997 of 9,207
Quote:
 Thanks RedBull. No background hiss at all? And how do you find them comfort wise?

Nope, no background hiss at all even at 100% volume.  I'm so happy with this combo I find a hard time to find an upgrade.

Comfort wise of LCD-2?  It was heavy at first, I got some neck tiredness. 
But after a week of normal using, I prefer LCD-2 comfort than my HD650.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4,998 of 9,207
Quote:
Wow with a criteria like that I'm not sure there is an amp out there that will fit your needs.  Very high standards.  I guess that's why I have multiple amps and for the exact reason you stated above.  However, I happen to love an amp or two that you dislike 
biggrin.gif
  "GS-1"

Yeah, I find a hard time to find an upgrade for my BCL (SS amp).
But no amps are perfect, I have to compromise too.

GS-1 is a very good, clean and very fast amp, but I thought I like a touch 'thicker' vocal of BCL, but not more. 
I find my BCL suits all my needs, but you know, this hobby is a journey, not destination. 
That's what makes it fun
wink.gif
  explore new sound, new civilization.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #4,999 of 9,207
Objective 2 amp with my LCD2's R2 are just super....listening to Hot Rocks and the Stones remastered, or Regina Spector....shake it up the bass it there in your face tight and beautiful...and this amp only costs $150 or so...I have 2 of them now, and my Asgard and Lyr are both sold. Its that good.

And it does this on pure DC, 2 nine volt batteries or AC to AC adapter..

No breaking the bank for awesome sound from the LCD2's..

All the best
Alex

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5,001 of 9,207
Source is Flacs on a pc via USB Dac....I use the ODAC and a HRT MSii+.
Both very good dacs....

Gain is set to the lower of the defaults that are in the amp: Dual Gain Switch (2.5x and 6.5x).

I use the lower gain setting and crank up the volume to about 1/2 way to make the LCD2s start to really shine.

I have two different AC to AC adapters to see if the higher voltage and or current capability makes any real difference.

The amp with pure dc off batteries gets rid of all those nasty AC power issues. like ripple etc....

This amp is a simple, elegant solution for cans for sure...

You can use the higher gain setting and not turn up the volume knob as much, but using the least amount of gain is the best way to get the least amount of potential distortion....its ok to use the lower gain setting and crank the volume knob up...thats what its there for.

Enjoy your O2!

Alex

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #5,002 of 9,207
Quote:
Both very good dacs....

Gain is set to the lower of the defaults that are in the amp: Dual Gain Switch (2.5x and 6.5x).

I use the lower gain setting and crank up the volume to about 1/2 way to make the LCD2s start to really shine.

I have two different AC to AC adapters to see if the higher voltage and or current capability makes any real difference.

The amp with pure dc off batteries gets rid of all those nasty AC power issues. like ripple etc....

You can use the higher gain setting and not turn up the volume knob as much, but using the least amount of gain is the best way to get the least amount of potential distortion....its ok to use the lower gain setting and crank the volume knob up...thats what its there for.

Enjoy your O2!

Alex

You might be surprised how much ripple there is on a battery and how little there is on some high quality well filtered switchmode let alone linear power supplies.  Having said this, batteries can be excellent if they are specified and filtered properly, just not necessarily better in noise level than AC derived power supply.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #5,003 of 9,207
Quote:
Both very good dacs....

Enjoy your O2!

Alex

Sounds like a great little amp, I've been tempted to check one out before but then I see the pics and think hang about this little portable thing cannot drive plannars! but obviously it does.

Just on the subject of gain, when you use the higher gain setting on any amp this is "voltage gain" and so you should in theory be feeding the very hungry orthos more power.. this should be better? Or am I wrong? I know the pros and cons about having more volume pot freedom with low gain, but having the volume lower knowing that they are getting more voltage on high gain seems like the better option for the LCD's to me. Admittedly It's an area that I'm not to sure about.. and I'm constantly switching between the high and low gain of my amps trying to tell a difference. I'm sure that bass is more full on high gain but treble is unaffected.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #5,008 of 9,207
I heard Lyr and DV337 (not LF339, but I think they are quite similar.  I hope my guess is right), but I have not heard WA6.

DV337 has a different sound than Lyr.
Lyr is more solid state, tight, punchy bass, sligthly warm.  DV337 is more tubey sound, longer decay, very very nice for orchestra, very LARGE and spacey sound.   FULL, fat bottom end, but not so tight bass.

But unfortunately. I think 339 does not meet your requirement on budget and size.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #5,010 of 9,207
I have not heard DV336, I am afraid I do not have valid opinion to compare with Lyr or WA3/6.

I think pure tube (OTL) won't sound best with LCD-2, you need a Hybrid (Lyr) or a transformer coupled (WA6) or an SS amp.

Have you check out Little Dot 1+?  I think it is very good for its price, very small and it's quite powerful too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back