Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,741 of 9,207
I read a lot of good thing about Violectric V200, especially with its 2700 mW output at 50 ohms, sounds deliciously good for LCD-2.

Sorry for the lauzy picture.

But I can't find any head to head comparison with BCL (which I have).  Would anyone care to shed some light for those?  Thanks.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #1,743 of 9,207
I have been using the headphone amp built into my Mac C38 preamp. I also use a Mac 7009 cd player and white Audio Technica cables. I don't know the model of the cables. I have tried a couple of cable extensions (canare, kimbercable) so I might recline on my couch but I haven't found anything I like as much as the supplied cable from Audeze. I wish I had ordered with a slightly longer cable although that would affect the sound quality. I think I am just going to set up a folding chair or just move the couch five feet closer and park myself next to the preamp. 
beerchug.gif
 The LCD-2's are astounding. I am curious about headphone amps but I am not going to rush into anything. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,744 of 9,207
Not a bad choice, bildar.  Doing a massive switch out of multiple components in your signal chain means you won't know for sure what part is doing what change.  Get used to the sound of the LCD-2's as they are in your setup, then you can figure out if you want or need anything else.  You might find it's not worth it to you.  Just getting new shinies just for the sake of new shinies is probably not advisable...even in our wallet-challenging hobby.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,745 of 9,207

Quote:
I read a lot of good thing about Violectric V200, especially with its 2700 mW output at 50 ohms, sounds deliciously good for LCD-2.

Sorry for the lauzy picture.

But I can't find any head to head comparison with BCL (which I have).  Would anyone care to shed some light for those?  Thanks.

The Lehman is detailed, lean and quick.  It has enough power to push the LCD2 8 tenths of the way home.  But for a bigger soundstage at any volume, there are better amps out there, if the source is up to it.  I sold mine.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,747 of 9,207
I've read this entire thread...whew!  A lot of great information; thank you all.

My LCD2's will arrive tomorrow.  I am considering my short list of amps:
Centrance DacMini
Audio-gd Fun (A)
Audio-gd NFB 10ES
Audio-gd NFB 10WM

I will likely use my McIntosh MX136 pre/pro as pre-amp.  All the balanced outs from the MX136 are used for my speaker amps.  I think I can use the MX136 digital coax out to connect to the head amp.  I'm not sure if the coax is 75 ohms, or not; will have to do a bit of research on this.  Will this connection method allow full use of the Audio-gd NFB's balanced topography?

I suppose I could also try the coax out from my Denon 3800BDCI player to all of these amps to utilize their DACs and compare to the McIntosh MX136 DAC.

And, finally, any opinions about the Audeze balanced cable vs other balanced cables will be much appreciated.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #1,748 of 9,207
I dont have LCD2's, well yet anyway, but sitting here listening to my Lyr with HE6's from a Mac via DacMagic....all I can say is that the Lyr is fantastic value.  Even if you make alternative choices in the end due to taste and preference, it is worth your time to spend some quality listening time with a Lyr.  Make sure that the standard tubes have been burnt in properly with at least 10 hours play time as they develop additional air and sparkle. 

I put some Genelex ECC88 tubes in but have come back to the stock tubes as they improve with play time and have some wonderful bass.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,749 of 9,207

Quote:
I did most of my listening with an amp that will be coming to market shortly - it is being "unveiled" at canjam. It is the Liquid Fire amp from Cavalli Audio. It is a tube hybrid, high voltage for the tubes to keep them operating at their most linear point, dual 30V rails for the class A Mosfet output stage which allows 42V p-p swing. DC coupled so no caps or transformers n the signal path and a servo which keeps the offset at zero. 

It is a wonderfully powerful amp and well worth the audition. Cavalli Audio is also releasing a solid state amp, the "Liquid Gold" which will have similar voltage swing but will be faster. 

..dB

Interesting, it seems to be of a similar design as my Aragon 18k.

Edit: oops that was ages ago, didn't realize the length of this thread.
Oh and my Aragon doesn't use tubes either
redface.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,750 of 9,207
Read through most of the thread.

I really do not want to muddle up the thread but I mainly want to give a small background and then ask about suggestions for tube amps (lightly mentioned throughout). Please feel free to take this to a pm or ask me to shut up.

The skinny:

own -
technics 1210 turntable
grado 225s
shure se530
audio technica ad700 (gaming)

listen -
postal service
as cities burn
maylene/sons disaster
the antlers
michael hurley
bon iver
margot and the nuclear so and so's
we came as romans
brand new
say anything
etc etc (basically a huge variety either folk or harder stuff)

want -
to eventually add an phono preamp and amp to my system to use headphones currently owned. eventually to use speakers as well for others to listen and enjoy the music.

thoughts -
--Dad trying to convince me to get mcintosh 225 (275 cant remember which) amp and klipsch speakers (heresy)
--I want to DIY a tube amp
--Would be nice if amp could be fairly versatile
--Interested in purchasing lcd-2's to use (out of the hd800 and similar phones i have a keen interest in these, although will go to a meet in a few weeks so that may be the most beneficial thing as opposed to posting questions....)
--Have a love for tubes
--Budget $1000ish but I am very slow with things (I have the money but it took me two months to finally buy a cartridge for my tt) so I plan to do things in steps so budget is flexible.
--I know getting an amp to be versatile takes away from its superiority of certain skills and its better to have specific amps for specific items. do not care to own 5 amps but could live with 2.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,751 of 9,207

Quote:
Read through most of the thread.

I really do not want to muddle up the thread but I mainly want to give a small background and then ask about suggestions for tube amps (lightly mentioned throughout). Please feel free to take this to a pm or ask me to shut up.

The skinny:

want -
to eventually add an phono preamp and amp to my system to use headphones currently owned. eventually to use speakers as well for others to listen and enjoy the music.

thoughts -
--Dad trying to convince me to get mcintosh 225 (275 cant remember which) amp and klipsch speakers (heresy)
--I want to DIY a tube amp
--Would be nice if amp could be fairly versatile
--Interested in purchasing lcd-2's to use (out of the hd800 and similar phones i have a keen interest in these, although will go to a meet in a few weeks so that may be the most beneficial thing as opposed to posting questions....)
--Have a love for tubes
--Budget $1000ish but I am very slow with things (I have the money but it took me two months to finally buy a cartridge for my tt) so I plan to do things in steps so budget is flexible.
--I know getting an amp to be versatile takes away from its superiority of certain skills and its better to have specific amps for specific items. do not care to own 5 amps but could live with 2.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin

Austin,
Are you looking for all tubes or hybrid?

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,752 of 9,207
Either really, as long as it has some tube loving and can fit my needs the best. (Don't get me wrong while I only want tubes I have read about the [size=11.0pt]β[/size]22 and others)

Would prefer a DIY project as to me I love learning and making stuff and would like to better understand about the amps better. My dad has tubes in his mcintosh's and I love the sound. I know I listen to a lot of harder music as opposed to a lot of bob dylan, but I find myself on month spurts listening to folk, instrumental, and a lot of softer stuff.
And for some reason (idk exactly why) think the LCD-2s would be a great addition to a small select family (I am all about spending a little extra for quality over quantity and that goes for all components not just headphones)

Currently building a 5 foot table (mmm black walnut) for storing my vinyl / putting my tt and equipment on so I enjoy the projects, plus it is an excuse to go visit my family and work on something with my dad in his shop.

Thanks again for the reply, the response alone means a lot.

Austin

ps: I realize there are more appropriate areas to discuss this but it seems like they get looked over and quickly bogged down and since I spent so much time reading this thread felt someone would lend a hand. Sorry if it is bothering anyone getting sort of off topic.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,753 of 9,207
Don't know too much about DIY, since I haven't built anything.  Maybe an EHHA?

And yeah, there's different place to discuss, but there's a lot of crossover around.  Since it sounds like synergy with LCD-2 is one of your possible considerations, this thread is probably as good as any. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,754 of 9,207

Quote:
Either really, as long as it has some tube loving and can fit my needs the best. (Don't get me wrong while I only want tubes I have read about the [size=11.0pt]β[/size]22 and others)

Would prefer a DIY project as to me I love learning and making stuff and would like to better understand about the amps better. My dad has tubes in his mcintosh's and I love the sound. I know I listen to a lot of harder music as opposed to a lot of bob dylan, but I find myself on month spurts listening to folk, instrumental, and a lot of softer stuff.
And for some reason (idk exactly why) think the LCD-2s would be a great addition to a small select family (I am all about spending a little extra for quality over quantity and that goes for all components not just headphones)

Currently building a 5 foot table (mmm black walnut) for storing my vinyl / putting my tt and equipment on so I enjoy the projects, plus it is an excuse to go visit my family and work on something with my dad in his shop.

Thanks again for the reply, the response alone means a lot.

Austin

ps: I realize there are more appropriate areas to discuss this but it seems like they get looked over and quickly bogged down and since I spent so much time reading this thread felt someone would lend a hand. Sorry if it is bothering anyone getting sort of off topic.

If you're looking for DIY, I would encourage you to hang out in the DIY forums, but for non DIY, I think the Schiit Lyr is a safe recommendation for a great value/performance all around Hybrid amp.  I'm expecting mine to show up this Thursday and will report on it as it burns in.  Be sure to read Jude's review of same.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,755 of 9,207
I just received my LCD2's.  They are beautiful.  They fit snugly and comfortably.  I ordered them with the stock SE plug.  The box is very nice in high gloss finish.  Audeze was responsive before and after the sale, packaged very carefully with double boxes, and shipped very fast with tracking number.  I placed my order 4 weeks ago.

I am listening from my Denon 3800BDCI variable outs --> McIntosh MX136 pre/pro --> 25 year old HeadRoom Standard (or Premium...I can't tell which) head amp.  I connected the head amp to the pre/pro with a cheap set of Radioshack RCA cables! I'm going out to get a 1/4 to mini adapter so I can try these phones straight out of my MacBook Pro/iTunes.

The SQ is rich, clear, and neutral with deep bass extension, wonderful mids, and smooth highs.  With my upper range hearing loss I bumped up the treble a few tics on the MX136 and the LCD2's sound wonderful!  I can't imagine these cans sounding better with a modern amp and balanced cables, but I'm likely going to buy either the Audio-gd NFB10ES or Centrance DacMini and an Audeze balanced cable to test for myself.  If this provides better SQ, all the better.  If my ears don't discern the difference, I'll sell the amp and balanced cable and keep using my vintage HeadRoom amp.

Thank you all for the 100's of posts, reviews, and opinions that helped me make the decision to buy the LCD2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back