ALO The Continental
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #436 of 456
The Continental v3 just appeared on ALO's site. I wonder how different it sounds...

http://www.aloaudio.com/the-continental-v3

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #437 of 456
Quote:
The Continental v3 just appeared on ALO's site. I wonder how different it sounds...
http://www.aloaudio.com/the-continental-v3

I just saw that on FB. Seems a new Thomson 6111 tube & new output stage. At least according to Google cache (actually don't need Google cache), the pricing's the same.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #438 of 456
Quote:
Here's the new knob. It's a Kilo ML from Digikey, diameter .625 inch, in the matte finish.

The skirt on the knob fits perfectly in the recess in the amps faceplate.

I don't suppose you'd have an actual part number or web link for that part would you?

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #439 of 456
You can pick it out from this page:
http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/ml-series/11718

I did not have as much luck with this as Funch did.  My shaft must have been misaligned just enough to create some interference fit with the skirt of the knob on the recess in the amp face.  I probably could have adjusted and gotten it right, but I havn't messed with it much.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #442 of 456
I hope [probably in vain] that ALO Audio made the battery to be replaceable and not glued in by an industrial strength superglue. If the battery were to be replaceable then there would be no worries about the battery life. As it is now the Continental has a limited lifespan. Because of the heat from the tube the battery's life is shortened. I totally do not understand why in the first version and the V2 the battery could not be replaced. Is my hope that V3 is different misplaced ?

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #443 of 456
******* it...I just got the V2 not long ago =.=, but I guess i just use it until it dies then I will replace it :)

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #445 of 456
I love my V2 and I'm not too bothered by the battery life or even it's lack of battery swapability. What I do hate however, is the damn wall-wart charger. Why do so many sleek portable devices come with pain-in-the-neck sized chargers?

Conversely, I love my Fostex sac/amp as it charges from the USB port and doesn't require a separate charger.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #448 of 456
Quote:
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9b/100x100px-LS-9b24150c_HellGirl3.jpeg[/img]
  1. Meoow
  2. badge_100.v1305918894.png
  4. offline

******* it...I just got the V2 not long ago =.=, but I guess i just use it until it dies then I will replace it :)

There is a chance that in a year and a half there will be V4 version, so you will skip V3. Lucky you.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #449 of 456
Quote:
I would be really careful replacing the battery, lipoly are not known for their stability (they are much less stable than lifepo4 and this chemistry is the reason we now have all these shipping restrictions and issues with flying wit laptops etc) and the charge circuit will be tuned for this particular battery. provided the charge circuit is internal and not in the wall wart, which you could change instead, changing to a larger capacity or different voltage could  make for an .....'interesting' listening experience 
basshead.gif
 same with the tube, bias will be set up for this tube in combination with this output stage and this supply voltage, its not like rolling opamps (which themselves imo should not be rolled blind)

And provided that the replacement battery is of the same voltage ? As I understand what is crucial is the voltage. The current is used at the steady mA/hour rate. A battery with a larger storing capacity and the same voltage would work the same.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #450 of 456
If changing batteries is such a pain, is there any estimation of how many hours battery life you'll get? I imagine that would vary wildly based on the headphones you're powering, but are we talking a year, two years, etc.? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back