ALO The Continental
Sep 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #424 of 456
It really depends on the headphones you pair it with. I found the Continental really prefers headphones over 40Ω, though the higher the better. It is a very very good amp that I can recommend wholeheartedly if you tend to use DT880/HD600/K701 and headphones like them. My review is finally up.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #425 of 456
  1. AndrewG
  2. badge_500.v1305918899.png
  4. offline
  1. 596 Posts. Joined 4/2003

"Even though ALO is my least favorite company due to several bad customer service experiences, ..."

And I have thought that the atrocious way I was treated when I spoke to them was an isolated case of misbehaviour on their part.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #426 of 456
I've only had e mail communication with ALO, but they've been thoughtful and helpful.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #427 of 456
Quote:
I have now listened more with the ALO the Continental V2, and I must conclude that the synergy with JH13 Pro is not good. Naim.F.C. also sent me an PM that the synergy "often depends very much of impedance ratings and differences between the amp and earphones. It could very well be that the Continental's ratings do not mix well with the J16 Pro, or that the Pico is simply warmer."

I sent an message to Alo about this and got this answer: "I am sorry you feel like the Pico is a better match for your IEMs. The V2 is more ment for larger full size headphones and is even stated as such on the product page. We do have a 30 day return policy but this is expired. If you would like to return it for a Rx2 however we can do this providing you pay for the shipping both ways."

I dont think this a good deal, and the 30 day return policy has by all means not expired (I recived the amp January 17th). But the most important, I am not sure if the RX2 is the best match for JH13 Pro. It doesnt say much about the sound character about the amp anywhere. I am looking for an amp with a warm sound signature, so the JH13 doesnt sound so bright, which I am kinda allergic to. I have done some researching and it seems that the warmer RSA Shadow probably would be a good match. So I will keep the Continental because I will probably one day try out larger headphones.

However, Ray Samuels doesnt respond to my mails in how I can buy the Shadow from him, so I think I will buy the Shadow from Addicted to audio in Australia instead, even though its a little more expensive there. 

Buddy, just get some decent headphones for the Continental. This amplifier is as "warm" as you can get, there does not seem to be another portable amp on offer that is more 'warm'. Also, I would suspect that the main problem with 'brightness' is listening to a badly engineered and recorded music.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #428 of 456
This amp blew my mind ever since RSA Mustang

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #429 of 456
Quote:
This amp blew my mind ever since RSA Mustang

Hey I noticed you have the Q701 in your signature, wondering if you have tried the Continental with them?  Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #430 of 456
I don't have the Q701, but I have the K702 which should give a fairly good idea of the combination... I really dig it.  The K702 is one of my favorites when using the Continental.  

Quote:
Hey I noticed you have the Q701 in your signature, wondering if you have tried the Continental with them?  Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #431 of 456
On a separate note, looks like I'm going to need to order a new charger from ALO.  I'm on a trip an unfortunately the current unit has stopped doing it's job.  I opened it up and can see indications of something burned up on the PCB... I haven't read back to see if there have been any other folks with similar issues.  

Too bad since I have several days left of hotel life and I'm missing the Continental.  Lucky I had a MkII with me that I use on the flights with my IEM's so I'm still in business...

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #432 of 456
Quote:
I don't have the Q701, but I have the K702 which should give a fairly good idea of the combination... I really dig it.  The K702 is one of my favorites when using the Continental.  

Awesome, thank you for the input.  Just wondering, what are you using as a source/DAC?  Will have to think long and hard about the Continental...

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #433 of 456
I'm usually using an iDevice and the Algorythm Solo when using the Continental. Files tend to be a mix of lossless and lossy.

I only wish I had waited for the new version with the gain switch as the original isn't great with sensitive IEM's.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #434 of 456
Hmm I see, thank you for the input!  Have you ever got the chance to compare the iDevice + CLAS + Continental setup with the DX100, HM801, or a ColorFly C4?  Sort of looking for an end game portable solution, though I probably would skip the CLAS if I were to go with the iDevice + Continental setup as it is quite expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back