Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #1,160 of 2,483
Got the JMoney audio dark brown leather headband today and installed on my MS1000... although sorta pricey ($45 + $10 shipping), I like it. It looks a lot nicer, but more importantly, it's more comfortable, and even *more* importantly, it stays on my head a lot better than the cheapy band that comes stock.

With the big GS1000 pads, I noticed I had to constantly re-adjust my phones on my head because they were "slipping" off my head and my ears. Now they stay put.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #1,162 of 2,483
can anybody compare these to the DT880 '03 version? i have only heard SR80s and 1) found them intolerably uncomfortable and 2) overall inferior to the DT880s i already owned. i am looking for an excuse to give them another try, but if they are basically the cheap(er) [grado] sound with better soundstage and more bass extension, i'd probably pass

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #1,164 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@les_garten
THe original black leather headband as in the ones that come with higher end grados?

Correct. The 325s or higher. Just thought I wold ask here, since there's a whole lotta mod'n goin on!

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #1,165 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anybody compare these to the DT880 '03 version? i have only heard SR80s and 1) found them intolerably uncomfortable and 2) overall inferior to the DT880s i already owned. i am looking for an excuse to give them another try, but if they are basically the cheap(er) [grado] sound with better soundstage and more bass extension, i'd probably pass

The DT880'2003 has a better soundstage, better resolution and a better comfort & build quality, but extremely less emotion, less natural mids, less bass slam and (by far) less genre bandwidth. The MS1K mod is a huge step forward in comparison to a stock Gradessandro, especially in respect of comfort and genre bandwidth. If you want things to surpass your DT880 also in technical respects, you need the MS Pro as basis.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,166 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880'2003 has a better soundstage, better resolution and a better comfort & build quality, but extremely less emotion, less natural mids, less bass slam and (by far) less genre bandwidth. The MS1K mod is a huge step forward in comparison to a stock Gradessandro, especially in respect of comfort and genre bandwidth. If you want things to surpass your DT880 also in technical respects, you need the MS Pro as basis.

alright thanks, this was helpful. i assume by genre bandwidth you mean it is more suitable to a variety of different types of music? if so, that may be a good selling point for me because my listening is all over the place. i can't afford the MS Pro right now, so if i decide to get some new cans i'll have to be happy with a sidegrade at best (viz. DT880).

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,167 of 2,483
A DT880 03 is better in overall resolution but that's basically it. The 03 sounds extremely flat and the MS1000 is more aggressive. That's the biggest difference.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #1,168 of 2,483
My R and L pieces are jacked up. Long story short, I need replacements. Anyone have a pair that I can get?

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,169 of 2,483
Alessandro sound is more balanced but still aggressive ,than other grado 'phones FWIR. Im curious , with soundstage extension how does the mids compare , do they loose their aggressive character(are they laid back, is bass fast and responsive like hd 25 1)?

I wanna experience grado sound signature, like big soundstage and think that ms1000 would be a good representative.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,170 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe
My R and L pieces are jacked up. Long story short, I need replacements. Anyone have a pair that I can get?

You've blown BOTH drivers???
icon_eek.gif

When I needed new systems for my MS Pro, I got into contact with Alessandro via mail. Took a while though, they refuse to read more than one sentence per mail, guess they prefer some kind of chat mode.
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak
Alessandro sound is more balanced but still aggressive ,than other grado 'phones FWIR. Im curious , with soundstage extension how does the mids compare , do they loose their aggressive character(are they laid back, is bass fast and responsive like hd 25 1)?

I wanna experience grado sound signature, like big soundstage and think that ms1000 would be a good representative.

The mids loose approx. 10% of their stock agressiveness when the mod is applied, they just don't scream as much as before. Maybe a bad thing for the hard'n heavy fraction, but definetely more realistic and better sounding for every other genre.

The bass is better than the one of the HD25-1, you get 90% of its kickbass, but an additional deep bass layer the Senn can't provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back