Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #961 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks as well, les_garten! Very useful site. Any idea what the proper measurements/"open area" for the Grado screen is?

No idea about the grid spacing, but it's pretty tight. You will have to balance aesthetics with functionality with SQ. Best SQ would be no grid. The tighter the grid the more constraint on the driver. There is a balance where I'm sure a compromise is struck in all these requirements. Consider the material as well, you don't want rust.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #962 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5428125-post324.html There you go! Found it faster than I thought.
beerchug.gif

Thanks a lot for the pictorial of the procedure.

I used it to attach the original distancer to the Ms-Pro and the newer shallower one to the 325is and to A B the two and I found that the difference between the two was very small the way it was between my old the RS-1 and regular 325. I say this to point out that the 325is is a big step away from the Grado and toward the Sandro sound.

As I was checking up your profile I realized you have a 325i on loan. So I would like to ask you if you agree or disagree with the way I hear the two models.

My hearing has degraded over the years and very wide mood swings make me change my mind and wonder which of my observation are correct.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #964 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to ask if any of you has tried the distancers with the HF2 either with the regular cups or the jumbo cups

I have not, since the HF2 sound fine with jumbo ear pads and no spacers.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #965 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to ask if any of you has tried the distancers with the HF2 either with the regular cups or the jumbo cups

I have tried distancers+jumbos but I settled on bowls or jumbos without distancers for now. The distancers don't make the sound better for me than just the jumbos, and it's also easier to use just the jumbos.

I used blue-tak to make the distancers stick, so I don't know what glue would do, but I'm not to keen on using a permanent solution on the HF2.

Distancers seem to be better for Alessandros (I have not tried it though), but for the HF2 I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #966 of 2,483
Nov 11, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #967 of 2,483
I'm not that familiar with interpreting those graphs, but I think they support what we all hear, clearly stronger bass and a flatter mids section. Felting obviously helps, but the effect isn't very spectacular.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #968 of 2,483
I'm just wondering where I can get distancers here in Canada. It seems that jmoney and rds have stopped their services. It's unfortunate that I'm no craftsman but I would love to buy one from anyone here. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #970 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do plan to have some more distancers on hand, but I may not have them until around xmas
frown.gif

They beat the hell out of Chia pets for Xmas presents!

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #971 of 2,483
My MS-1000i is finally coming along.
I received free distancers from Jeremy, and a free piece of felt from my local crafts store. Jumbo pad should be coming in a few days.

I'm planning on putting the felt around the distancers but my question:
What does putting felt (a double layer?) on the driver grill do? Is it recommended?

What about on top of the lip?

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #972 of 2,483
It should tone down the treble a bit. This is sometimes necessary as the bass/mids get depleted a bit with the G-cushions. It balances them out, so to speak, enhancing the warmth of the lower end by blocking out a small portion of the high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back