Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Nov 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,252 of 2,483

Quote:
Wow, nice one.
blink.gif
Olive wood?

Yes! Olive wood.
I love the grain of this wood and i love the smell when you work with it even more.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #2,253 of 2,483
Due to olive wood's oily consistence, it's hardly to be covered with (high gloss) resin lacquering though, you're bound to eco stuff like non glossing waxes & oil treatments. That's why I never touched that wood, I always preffered the high gloss bling effect with my woodies...

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #2,254 of 2,483
Very beautiful set Jonas. Amazing wood. Did you replace the plastic rod block with wood?

Quote:
After a long waiting and 13 euro custom duties the jumbo pads finally arrived!
So i was able to finish the ms1000, and i'm very happy with them!
Thanks to all those who shared their experience here, i had not the time to read all the 150 pages but i read a lot of them with pleasure.
Special thanks go to nickchen for the instructions and for the kindly advice.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #2,255 of 2,483

Quote:
Due to olive wood's oily consistence, it's hardly to be covered with (high gloss) resin lacquering though, you're bound to eco stuff like non glossing waxes & oil treatments. That's why I never touched that wood, I always preffered the high gloss bling effect with my woodies...

Nickchen you are a hell of a guy! Knowledge everywhere!
You are right i try to use to eco staff where it's possible, the good thing by waxes and oil treatments is that is a very easy and fast process, and in case of scratches it's easy to remedy! But of course with oil and waxes you will never get that high gloss bling.

Quote:
Very beautiful set Jonas. Amazing wood. Did you replace the plastic rod block with wood?

Yes i replace the plastic with wood, but by doing so i completely destroy the plastic ones.
And after a while the rods became a little lose, probably due to humidity changes or/and usage.
The plastic ones had 2 rubber donuts on each side to avoid that.
So i bend the rods little bit and now it is ok, but for sure that's not the best solution...

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2,257 of 2,483

Very clever. You can always use small metal collet like I did on my MS-Pro
http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/2e/2efe50d9_MS-Ultimate_4.jpeg 
Quote:
Nickchen you are a hell of a guy! Knowledge everywhere!
You are right i try to use to eco staff where it's possible, the good thing by waxes and oil treatments is that is a very easy and fast process, and in case of scratches it's easy to remedy! But of course with oil and waxes you will never get that high gloss bling.

Yes i replace the plastic with wood, but by doing so i completely destroy the plastic ones.
And after a while the rods became a little lose, probably due to humidity changes or/and usage.
The plastic ones had 2 rubber donuts on each side to avoid that.
So i bend the rods little bit and now it is ok, but for sure that's not the best solution...

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #2,258 of 2,483
Nice! That's for sure a better solution!!! I will go for it. Thanks for the advice!

P.S. the image link doesn't work (<Error>AccessDenied), i went to see it on your profile album.

Quote:
Very clever. You can always use small metal collet like I did on my MS-Pro
http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/2e/2efe50d9_MS-Ultimate_4.jpeg 

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #2,259 of 2,483
I traded my MS1000 for a SR-225 for a couple of days.

Technically I feel this SR225 is better than the MS-1 but that was to be expected (after all, the MS1 drivers aren't all that great when it comes to precision and resolution). Also, it is not nearly as aggressive as the SR325 (or SR80 if my memory serves me well) and sounds more warmer than it as well. Actually, there is a nice warmth to the sound and I think that this headphone can be transformed a la the MS1000 recipe just as well as the MS1 can be transformed. Especially with the hole punch mod you can get some more warmth should you want that.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2,260 of 2,483
Yep, together with the pad lining and the "v2" distancers with drill holes. Cosmopragm had tried a "SR225000" three years ago and got shocking amounts of sibilance and lifeless mids, but that was the old undrilled v1 distancers...

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2,264 of 2,483
sry but can i ask one more question (out of topic)
is the fiio e5 good for ms1 (will be turining it to ms1000 soon) with ipod
how can i change the cable for ms1
i feel like it will broke any moment lol

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2,265 of 2,483
The Alessandro (Grado too for that matter), don't require amplification and as such the E5 won't do much for them. Don't think you need an amp for them - they will improve with proper amplification and dito source but the E5 is not that amp. For what it's worth, your MS1000 will sound great with just the iPod. If you do get a small amp for it though make sure you also get a line out dock (LOD) so you can bypass the interal amp of the iPod.

You will have to take the cups off and then desolder the cable and then solder on a new one. It's straightforward but be careful when you solder: it is easy to kill the drivers - unfortunately I know this from personal experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back