Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Nov 20, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,236 of 2,483

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if your Magnum Ultimate turned out to be superior. There's a step between the MS1K & the Ulti, but not a very spectacular one.
How much did you pay for those systems?

There is not a step but a whole world between my MS1000's and the Magnumized setup. To put it mildly. I guess it is just the superiority of the drivers, which quite many people consider superior to Grado RS1 or MS Pro drivers. And now the really fine aspect: You can buy those drivers separately, at a truly more than fair price of $120 a pair. Just check out the feedback on those drivers on Head-Fi. As you know we EU-based guys have to add shipping and customs. Shipping to Austria was $25 and customs added another €25. My second package of Magnum drivers came without any customs fees. Was lucky this time. I paid about €190 for 2 sets of V4 drivers. Incredible price/performance ratio if you consider the price of stock Gradessandros in Europe. I paid as much for my first stock plastic SR80i!!

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2,237 of 2,483
Although my listening habits have changed a bit, I must say, I am tempted...

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,241 of 2,483
Quote:
Nick! You NEED these!! Symphones.ca

Hehe, I am moving to Groningen, hopefully, should everything go the way I want it, this december so money is kind of tight right now. But this does sound very tempting indeed, even though I haven't been listening to headphones all that much lately.

And I still haven't heard your piece de resistance. These are busy times but I really need to hear your creation. :wink:

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #2,242 of 2,483
Ok. Well, then you have something to look forward to, when money's less tight :wink:

Let me know when you've moved (and if you need a helping hand with moving, let me know), we should meet. And let's continue in PM's; don't want the whole world to interfere with our personal lives :wink:

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,243 of 2,483
Off topic: u 2 sounded so gay

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #2,245 of 2,483

Quote:
Off topic: u 2 sounded so gay

Yep, Australia is the last resort where men are real men. Drink some gallons of beer and eat half a cow, then you propably feel better
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #2,247 of 2,483
lol

I paired the zo with the ms1000. Surprisingly it killed all the pros of the baby - it looses its airiness and special midrange/treble magic, and adds bass punch which isn't very focused. I'm guessing this is because of the bass signal being too strong for the ms1k to handle, so I'm thinking whether I should close a few holes or not. I had 5 holes open because I opened every second hole lol

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,248 of 2,483

Quote:
lol

I paired the zo with the ms1000. Surprisingly it killed all the pros of the baby - it looses its airiness and special midrange/treble magic, and adds bass punch which isn't very focused. I'm guessing this is because of the bass signal being too strong for the ms1k to handle, so I'm thinking whether I should close a few holes or not. I had 5 holes open because I opened every second hole lol

Actually it did the same to me but I had a scooped-mid setting with the EQ on my Clip+ and then added the ZO2 to the chain, really made the bass prominent and then some out of place highs around.  It didn't do that with the ipod line out for me but was extremely loud like the others have reported, but since I would be using the Clip+ (I'm also planning to buy the Cowon J3 soon), I think it's fine.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #2,249 of 2,483
After a long waiting and 13 euro custom duties the jumbo pads finally arrived!
So i was able to finish the ms1000, and i'm very happy with them!
Thanks to all those who shared their experience here, i had not the time to read all the 150 pages but i read a lot of them with pleasure.
Special thanks go to nickchen for the instructions and for the kindly advice.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,250 of 2,483
Wow, nice one.
blink.gif
Olive wood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back