Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2,281 of 2,483

Quote:
Is everyone still enjoying their ms1000 now, after such a long period since this was the FOTM?

To be honest, the master himself has switched to team ortho meanwhile. All dynamicals (incl. MS1K & Ulti) lack quite a bit body in comparison. My Ulti only get used for comfort reasons meanwhile (they are so light).

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,282 of 2,483
Trying to reignite something in search for a cure for that problem. I think what I'm hearing is that lack of body... I don't know how to describe it, but switching between the HD580 and the MS1k, the Senn just seems to sound more realistic..? Would lining the pads help, or other dampening etc?

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #2,283 of 2,483
When you've done the complete thing (pad lining & punch-hole), you've done already the maximum in respect of body increase.

For the record: I have a friend who is musician and who has bat ears. That guy insists that the Ulti / MS1K is the most realistic sounding thing he has heared (and he has been through all my ~2 dozen HPs in the recent years). He thinks that increased body and weight of my orthos sounds artificial. But I don't care. More body is so fun...

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2,284 of 2,483
This hobby is a funny thing. Ive never considered Grado to be a realistic sounding headphone in any way shape or form. Although I love the Grado sound, I just think they are more fun than realistic. Hmm.... I might be strange :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,285 of 2,483
Not sure about are they coloured or real or anything, but the soundstage is unbelievably realistic (?!) haha

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2,287 of 2,483
I will be trying this mod on these models
SR225i
Magnum V4
RS1i
& last, but certainly not the least
HP-2
Would appreciate inputs.

For the RS1i, is it OK if the distancers are glued on? I don't know how to liberate the drivers and would rather keep it this way.

A pair of vintage SR200 with HP-2 drivers are arriving in a week and I'll be able to try this mod.
Anyone have experience with this.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2,288 of 2,483
Loooooooong time since I last checked here.

FWIW Shahzada, you can always glue on your distancers. My distancers are glued to my MS-1s for example. I would really urge you to be EXTREMELY careful with expensive headphones such as the RS1. Also, since you are going to try the mod on various headphones I would not bother with liberating the drivers, personally. It might be an option, later on, when you have found the sound you are looking for. But then, I have never heard fully liberated Grado drivers.

Another thing, I got some questions about me building some distancers and unfortunately I had to tell some people they had to look somewhere else. I moved to another town and I simply can't find time to build them, but also, more importantly, I don't have any tools around here... For all the people who are looking to get some distancers I would simply say to be inventive and creative! Look around your local DIY store and try your luck in the plumbing section. Perhaps you find something that is just perfect for this mod! Also, the distancers nickchen and I build/built are simply made, even with basic tools. But also, you can basically use any material you like since you will want to put some felt in the distancers anyway. Just as long as you stay with the proper numbers (depth, width etc etc) you should be absolutely fine. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2,289 of 2,483
I just had a little headphone date with my girlfriend today, and I must mention what a beast have I taught... To jump to the point, we both agreed that 'our' ms1000 might not have the very precise soundstage (of the ad900), nor a very accurate frequency response (of the hd580), but it simply has the kind of special ability to let you enjoy your music. Its soundstage simply expands to a near-real performance in front of you, and then out of the music some magic phrase would happen and you just get transcend to some miracle place.

It doesn't have the referencing sound the hd580 has, nor the killer female-loving colouration the ad900, nor the thumping bass line of the d2000, fa-011... I cannot seem to explain what happened to this w/o mod $100 headphone... There's so much emotion in its way of portraying music is just beautiful... Amazing... Touching!

If every headphone have some sort of character, or even if each has a different soul, ms1000 must have been the most expressive/emotional/romantic headphone I've ever listened to...

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2,290 of 2,483

Quote:
Loooooooong time since I last checked here.

I look here every 1-2 days, but I always find it reliefing when nothing much has happened and no how-its-made or build-me-something PM is to be answered. Looks like I'm also over the climax in respect of hanging around in forums.
tongue.gif
  My beloved HPs get used as much as before though...

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,291 of 2,483

Quote:
I just had a little headphone date with my girlfriend today, and I must mention what a beast have I taught... To jump to the point, we both agreed that 'our' ms1000 might not have the very precise soundstage (of the ad900), nor a very accurate frequency response (of the hd580), but it simply has the kind of special ability to let you enjoy your music. Its soundstage simply expands to a near-real performance in front of you, and then out of the music some magic phrase would happen and you just get transcend to some miracle place.

It doesn't have the referencing sound the hd580 has, nor the killer female-loving colouration the ad900, nor the thumping bass line of the d2000, fa-011... I cannot seem to explain what happened to this w/o mod $100 headphone... There's so much emotion in its way of portraying music is just beautiful... Amazing... Touching!

If every headphone have some sort of character, or even if each has a different soul, ms1000 must have been the most expressive/emotional/romantic headphone I've ever listened to...

L3000.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2,292 of 2,483

Quote:
I look here every 1-2 days, but I always find it reliefing when nothing much has happened and no how-its-made or build-me-something PM is to be answered. Looks like I'm also over the climax in respect of hanging around in forums.
tongue.gif
  My beloved HPs get used as much as before though...

I still believe :D It's been about 2-3 years since I've fiddled with headphones, picking the right one, trying to attempt this mod to no avail, making shoddy CMOY's etc. Thankfully, I didn't trade in my MS-1s solely because of this thread in hopes that I can evolve them into MS-1000s! I think it may be time to try again! But I'm glad that nothing has really changed from the original post.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #2,293 of 2,483
Hello Everyone,

I'm Bukumurah from Indonesia. I am a proud new owner of a pair of MS1000i (bought them as standard MS1i some 3 weeks ago and had them modified a week later by the local Jaben shop in Jakarta).

I bought the Alessandro/Grado Woodie Mod package from Jaben, which includes wooden cups and jumbo pads.

Then I added:
1. A 1mm thin felt lining along the inside walls of the distancers (reduced ear-piercing treble)
2. Jumbo pad layering with thin cotton fabric (further reduced ear-piercing treble)

Is anyone else here using the Jaben Alessandro/Grado Woddie Mod?

I find that the distancers on these mods are actually 17mm long or 20mm long if the end bits with the slightly larger diameter (where the pads sit on) are included. It seems that they are longer than the distancer length recommended on this thread, which is 10-11mm long. I wonder why Jaben makes the distancers longer than recommended... Does anyone have any experience they can share regarding this difference in distancer length?

So far I have been quite happy with the end result.

The only issue I have is the midrange, which seems rather thin and recessed... I am wondering about a few things:
1. Can I improve the midrange and make it thicker and more liquid by doing the punch hole mod?
2. Can I improve the midrange further by drilling the 1,5mm holes on the distancers?

I have actually been able to get great midrange by covering the holes on the jumbo pads with the same cotton fabric used to layer the pads. But I also lose some detail, resolution and airyness... In the end, I settled for the slightly recessed midrange... I am still hoping to be able to get back the great midrange without losing the detail, resolution and airyness. If anyone has suggestions and ideas on how to achieve this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all!

--Bukumurah

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #2,294 of 2,483
While I wait for the masters to chime in, can you show us how you layered the jumbo pads? I have no ways doing it neatly at all...

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2,295 of 2,483
The best way to make neat layerings for the jumbo pads is by creating a circular pattern (roughly the size of a CD), then cut a smaller circle in the middle (use a large coin, a medal or a drawing compass). After that, fold the pattern to form a cone and adjust it to fit the shape of the inner wall of the jumbo pad. Once you are happy with the result, you can trim the excess bits from the cone and attach the fabric to the pads (with glue or whatever you prefer).

Hopefully the following pictures will be able to illustrate the method I described above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back