Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Dec 10, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,951 of 2,483
To my ears changing the mesh to a more open one changed the sound for the better. Could well be placebo though. :)

And wow Psudohippy! Such wonderS on your shell! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #1,952 of 2,483
ApatN, or I could be wrong, having more than one MS1 next to one another would be the only way to know for sure.

I know that, with the break between of changing the cups so less reliably, I struggled to discern a difference between my MS1 with cups on with no grilles at all, and with cups on with the stock black plastic grill. There is no difference at all between the one with no grilles and with foam stuffed inside the enclosure, I am 100% on that one.

It does depend on the day though with things like this, somedays I am sure everything makes a huge difference, next time I listen it seems everything sounds the same... psychology is a huge part of this hobby....

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #1,953 of 2,483
True and that's why I said it might be placebo. However, try covering the back of the cups with your hands. It will ruin the sound. So in theory a more open mesh should provide better sound quality. Also, it looks better. :wink:

Oh and I too tried stuffing the cups with the stock comfies. It was some time ago but I think I clearly heard a difference.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,954 of 2,483
Covering completely does change things completely - but try placing just the tip of one finger on the back of each grille (as though you were trying to put your fingers in your ears but the heapdhones got in the way)... not such a difference right? Hard to say there is one at all.

Interestingly if you do the same with electrostatics the difference is very notable, but then they have equal back and forward sound projection (same with orthos). With dynamics it seems as long as the backwards going sound can escape somehow, there is not such a huge difference as to how. A differnece sure, but not a huge one....

I hold my right to get home and test this again and admit I am completely wrong of course!
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #1,956 of 2,483

Quote:
Now that Im officially in the MS1000 club I thought Id post some holiday pics ( I know, tree isnt decorated yet) from my old point and click camera.

Looks like you're still in the "v1" modding state, I really recommend the punch hole mod and a textil pad layer...
basshead.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #1,957 of 2,483
I see.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,958 of 2,483
Quote:
Quote:
Now that Im officially in the MS1000 club I thought Id post some holiday pics ( I know, tree isnt decorated yet) from my old point and click camera.

Looks like you're still in the "v1" modding state, I really recommend the punch hole mod and a textil pad layer...
basshead.gif

i'm not familiar with those mods. how can you tell from his pix?  could you possibly summarize what those mods do and is it possible to link to posts where the mods are described (both how to do them and their effect)? tia!

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #1,959 of 2,483
I store all info still in post #1 and update it regulary.
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,960 of 2,483

Quote:
Quote:

basshead.gif

And it is on purpose. I like to experience each change in of itself. Then I know if I want to reverse or continue ahead. No point in starting at the end unless you already know that is what you want, for example if I had someones to try in each configuration I might already know which I like best.

DaveDerek, I dont know how he can tell just from the pics either lol. He might be assuming based on my earlier posts and the timing of when I got the wood cups but I could have easily puts holes in it and a textile pad if I wanted too. I still plan on it btw. He must have magic eyes or Im missing something here lol.

EDIT: I re-read the pad mod. I believe this is the one where you line the inside of the GS1000 pads so obviously you can tell in my pic I havent done it yet. Personally, Im gonna try it, but it doesnt at all sound like what I want. I certainly dont want to tame any brightness and I dont want more warmth. Maybe a bit more kickbass but just to get it to where is was before the distancers. The added soundstage takes away from the impact a little no doubt. So Ill remove the cups and try the punch hole mod but might be a while before I try the pad mod. I wonder what glue Larry used to put the cups on there. Hopefully the first posts tells what glue to use to put back.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,961 of 2,483
Yes, it was just guessing from the missing pad lining on the pics, no magic eyes
tongue.gif

I don't know how Larry's woodies are organized, mine stay in place by simple friction. Just try to tear them off (and on afterwards). If there isn't enough friction to hold them in place, one or two layers of adhesive tape to increase the diameter might work wonder.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #1,962 of 2,483

Quote:
Yes, it was just guessing from the missing pad lining on the pics, no magic eyes
tongue.gif

I don't know how Larry's woodies are organized, mine stay in place by simple friction. Just try to tear them off (and on afterwards). If there isn't enough friction to hold them in place, one or two layers of adhesive tape to increase the diameter might work wonder.

Cool, thats what Ill try. I think Im ready to try the punch hole mod now. Ive been listening and adjusting to them for about two weeks now and a little more kick would be a nice addition. Maybe the pad lining down the road.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #1,963 of 2,483
Quote:
cool.gif

DOH! thanks or pointing that out - sorry for my oversight.  perhaps you could add the appropriate links to Jaben for their ms1000 wood and aluminum cups for those folks who aren't prepared to make their own and want a professionally done solution.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,965 of 2,483
Quote:
Quote:
cool.gif

DOH! thanks or pointing that out - sorry for my oversight.  perhaps you could add the appropriate links to Jaben for their ms1000 wood and aluminum cups for those folks who aren't prepared to make their own and want a professionally done solution.

Quote:
That's probably a good idea. The Jaben solution looks pretty well made.

yeah, i have both and they are quite nice (i just have to find where i put the aluminum ones, then get around to building a set out of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back