Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Nov 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #1,936 of 2,483
I think I need to avoid this thread until I can finish my MS1000 creation. Ill see you guys again when I have some pics to share
dt880smile.png
  Im getting way to anxious and wasting way too much of my life checking this forum every 5 minutes lol.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #1,937 of 2,483
Quote:
We've examined that topic on many meets with many different probands as well. The K701 and the Ulti indeed can sound very alike in respect of tonality (dependent from quality spreads both models suffer severely from). However, the AKG's s soundscape is smaller, but has more precise placement of instruments. Detailling abilities and blackness are roughly on par. The Alessandros remain still unbeaten in repect of musicality & genre bandwidth.

Quote:
Just came back. Conclusions:
- The MS-U is a phenomenal can with great mids and a lot of musicality
- The MS-1000 sounds identical to the MS-U with the latest configuration; just doesn't have the resolution of its 700$ big brother

interesting stuff. so the ms1ks/ms-ultis sound a lot like k701/2s? it might be easier to just go down that path.....
& the ms1k & ultis sound that close?  is their bass response that close? no more depth or extension in the bass with the big bro? how much better does the ulti resolve?

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #1,938 of 2,483

interesting stuff. so the ms1ks/ms-ultis sound a lot like k701/2s? it might be easier to just go down that path.....
& the ms1k & ultis sound that close?  is their bass response that close? no more depth or extension in the bass with the big bro? how much better does the ulti resolve?

They sound like K701/2 WITH EQ. without EQ, they don't sound that much alike. K701 have a lot more glare (don't know how else to call it) by default than MS1K/Ulti. EQ solves this, as it is also the one thing that I don't like about the AKG.
MS1K and Ulti sound VERY close in tonality and presentation. With MS Ultimate, everything is just cleaner and better controlled and detailed.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #1,939 of 2,483
But similar tonality isn't everything. A huge Merc and and a Porsche may have identical 0-60 specs, but...

They do sound roughly alike, but the Alessandro lacks a bit refinement, whereas the AKG is a bit boring. The one is for matured Mahler and Genesis listeners, the other handles electronica and heavy metal as well.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #1,940 of 2,483
Yep, the K701 with EQ was a real eye-opener and really not that different from the MS-U. I think the difference between them is that the K701 has a more precise sound while the Alessandros are more groovy and musical. I don't know what sound I prefer but I think the EQed 701. The stage is so accurate that it can get scary at times. I am also amazed with the detail in vocals that I hear.

Without EQ the K701 is too shrill which is why I never gave much attention to it. It was nice every time I listened to it but after some minutes I took it off because it's just not neutral at all. Right now I am reading a lot to mod the K701 so as not to use an EQ. EQ is evil (and my Squeezebox doesn't have one I believe
tongue_smile.gif
).

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #1,941 of 2,483
Crazy thing happened the other day, I got my MS-1 ready for conversion and I got a baby both on the same day! So I present to you my future MS1000 (as soon as my distancers arrive) and my first born baby Jacob. What an awsome day that was! One thing I can assure you is that these headphones will never be sold, like them or not (which I do like), afterall they have the same b-day (well the arrival of the wood mod at least) as my son and someday they will be his. Now all I need is my Arrow and distancers to arrive.

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #1,943 of 2,483
We're getting into a sentimental phase!
beerchug.gif
Guess you'll need apair of closed cans soon (I did).

The distancers should arrive soon, they've been sent out roughly 2 weeks ago...

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,947 of 2,483
Now that Im officially in the MS1000 club I thought Id post some holiday pics ( I know, tree isnt decorated yet) from my old point and click camera. Maybe santa will bring me a proper camera. Special thanks to Nickchen for the distancers and Larry at Headphile for the wood and cable.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #1,948 of 2,483
I just got my MS1000 from tom_3_21, which comes with one of nickchen's distancers. 

It's a shame that I didn't have a stock MS1 to compare it with, but I really enjoy the sound signature, much more than the RS225i.

Thank you for this amazing find, I'm proud to be in the MS1000 owners club. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,949 of 2,483
Hey, I finally got someone to make some wooden air chambers for me, is purple heart wood any good? I love the way it looks but will it have a drastic effect on the sound?*for my sr80i's* also I'm plaing on putting a metal mesh on the back, what kind would you suggest Aluminum mesh, or a brass?

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #1,950 of 2,483
psudohippy - beautiful! Your son first, and the headphile woodies second of course 
wink.gif

Whitecrow - I don't think the woodies make any difference to sound at all, and the mesh only a minimal one, if one at all. It's 99-100% cosmetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back