AKG Q701 questions?
Jul 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #121 of 212
I like using the "NFB with my Q701 for some songs but the clean O2 is very nice as well. Although I can't justify the price of an O2 and not to mention that I have one that is revised for high performance desktop use only which again drives up the costs.....yeah. I got it cheap so I don't mind but at this point in my career...the NFB 12.1 is good enough for the Q701. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #125 of 212
I heard the Q701's are a little more balanced, less sibilant highs and a little better mis/sub bass/ bass

I'm getting a new NFB 5 soon to power my K701'a and I'm super ecxitedover the e7/e9 upgrade

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #126 of 212
From all my reading, it seems like the Matrix M-Stage is the most common recommendation for the Q701. 

I also see the NFB-12 recommended quite frequently too.

I wasn't able to get a direct comparison between the NFB-12 and M-Stage using the search function. Does anyone have any opinions on how either one would pair up with the Q701? I'm in the process of deciding on an amp before making my Q701 purchase. Any inputs?

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #127 of 212
Quote:
From all my reading, it seems like the Matrix M-Stage is the most common recommendation for the Q701. 

I also see the NFB-12 recommended quite frequently too.

I wasn't able to get a direct comparison between the NFB-12 and M-Stage using the search function. Does anyone have any opinions on how either one would pair up with the Q701? I'm in the process of deciding on an amp before making my Q701 purchase. Any inputs?

The difference however and why I went with the NFB is that I needed a DAC...and no....that $40 add on DAC with the mstage is plenty ridiculed on head fi as being there just to say it has a DAC add on function... and I needed a DAC and an amp. 

Comparing a $200 amp to a $215-$240 DAC and amp combo unit is a bit......well you know.

I didn't look for the comparisons for that reason of me needing a DAC. But give it a whirl.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #128 of 212
Thanks for the response, bowei006. 

Those were actually the reasons why I was considering the two. I wanted something that was an amp/dac combo. I assumed that the M-Stage with Dac option would be similar to the NFB-12's amp/dac. 

So you're saying the dac on the NFB-12 is much better than the $30 add-on dac of the M-Stage?

I've read a couple times that even the cheap add-on to the M-Stage would be much better than whatever onboard soundcard would be present in the computer. The plan was to buy one of these dac/amp combos and then later upgrade the dac when I'm willing to spend the extra money. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #129 of 212
Quote:
Thanks for the response, bowei006. 

Those were actually the reasons why I was considering the two. I wanted something that was an amp/dac combo. I assumed that the M-Stage with Dac option would be similar to the NFB-12's amp/dac. 

So you're saying the dac on the NFB-12 is much better than the $30 add-on dac of the M-Stage?

I've read a couple times that even the cheap add-on to the M-Stage would be much better than whatever onboard soundcard would be present in the computer. The plan was to buy one of these dac/amp combos and then later upgrade the dac when I'm willing to spend the extra money. 

I don't have that much money.... I am not going to get a $200 amp and another hundred on a DAC...and I read that and saw data and that's why I didn't even bother with the Mstage as it was about $250 and almost $300 with a crapy DAC.

It depends on how much you want to spend on a DAC and amp....but don't even bother with the Mstage DAC variant and just say it's an amp.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #130 of 212
Quote:
I don't have that much money.... I am not going to get a $200 amp and another hundred on a DAC...and I read that and saw data and that's why I didn't even bother with the Mstage as it was about $250 and almost $300 with a crapy DAC.

It depends on how much you want to spend on a DAC and amp....but don't even bother with the Mstage DAC variant and just say it's an amp.

Thanks for your input. 

You mentioned earlier that you liked using the NFB-12 for some songs. Do you mean songs of a particular genre or songs with certain characteristics? 

Does the amp add extra warmth to the overall sound of the headphones? How about the filters?

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #131 of 212
Quote:

Thanks for your input. 

You mentioned earlier that you liked using the NFB-12 for some songs. Do you mean songs of a particular genre or songs with certain characteristics? 

Does the amp add extra warmth to the overall sound of the headphones? How about the filters?

I like it for musical tastes. It is a lot more musical than the O2 ...naturally. It has a darker background but at the same time makes things "sing" a bit more. It isn't as good for movies, or games or some classical genres or even some of the asian more light asian songs I listen to but it is good for music. There's only a small difference with some genres but with EDM, rap and hip hop, it is a lot more musical and just enjoyability really as it synergizes or works well. With rock and other asian pop or rock songs the O2 and NFB have a grappling battle over specific songs really.

It really depends on what you like, I personally don't agree with the get an O2 and be done mentality some of the regular users have to say with the O2, it isn't that way. It is clean and measures well and if you can build it yourself, is very cheap. But think of it this way. The O2 may measure so fantastically well objectively and everything but it isn't the perfect amp.......think about the fact of their being amps worth thousands.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #134 of 212
These cans are so big - so what's the best way to wear them when you're not 'wearing' them? I can wear most traditional headphones around my neck, but I really can't do that with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back