AKG Q701 questions?
Jun 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #106 of 212
They've actually been that price for quite a few months now, and it would be stupid of them to change the price imo.
One last (hopefully) question, would the E9 work fine on a mac mini with computer speakers as well as a receiver, that's where i plan to use it most of the time, but also my mac mini.

Yes the E9 will be fine, and it has a parallel line loop to put it between a single source (which can include the DAC that docks into it) and a single sink (like a receiver); it also has a pre-out that can drive active speakers or a power amp (don't stack volume controls - I mean a straight-up power amp, like a Parasound A/23). It must be turned on (but the volume can be at absolute minimum) to make the parallel loop work; pre-outs are tied to the volume controller. E9 is fine with the 70x; works well.

Depending on your receiver though, it can probably do an equally good job with the 70x.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #113 of 212
Quote:
Q701 + E11

I don't think the OP is looking for a portable amp......and.... how well do you think the E11's sound with the Q701's.... 

I've had the superior E17 and really, it doesn't have anything up against an O2 or NFB 12.1. More musical with the E17 though.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #119 of 212
I'm late replying to OP's original question, but I also just moved from M50 to Q701 and am using my NFB-12 with them (also as my DAC).  As an aside, I picked the Q701 over the K701 due to persuasive feedback from those with both that the Q's flesh out the bass a bit more than the K's.

In short, I am really surprised at how good the Q701's are for so little cash.   The sound is a very significant improvement over the perfectly good M50's, which will now be finding another home.  They've also obsoleted my beloved but too-thin sounding Senn HD-580's, by providing a sound equally expansive, but with a much fuller and more musical experience due to the better low end.

About the NFB-12, I don't have an E9 to compare but I can tell you that the NFB-12 is great with the Q701.  It's more than strong enough for them -- I can't get to 12:00 on the dial on the high-gain setting.  Also, I think the NFB-12 is a bit on the warm side and that's why I picked the Q701 as a good match.  Could not be happier.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #120 of 212
Quote:
I picked the Q701 over the K701 due to persuasive feedback from those with both that the Q's flesh out the bass a bit more than the K's

I'm a fan of the original K701's but I really want to try the Q701 to do a comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back