AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,121 of 3,394
The more I listen to these the more they make me want to listen to my T1. What is wrong with these? My T1 make any type of music sound great. These seem only to perform on classical and high frequency music. Am I the only one who finds them lacking punch on the low end? Or is it something with my setup?

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,122 of 3,394
The more I listen to these the more they make me want to listen to my T1. What is wrong with these? My T1 make any type of music sound great. These seem only to perform on classical and high frequency music. Am I the only one who finds them lacking punch on the low end? Or is it something with my setup?

Probably the bassy sound from these overall, which isn't well defined. Also the t1 are very hot on treble which makes them seem clearer and more detailed, but in their own right have a selection of flaws

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #3,123 of 3,394
Probably the bassy sound from these overall, which isn't well defined. Also the t1 are very hot on treble which makes them seem clearer and more detailed, but in their own right have a selection of flaws

T1s might have their flaws. I haven't heard any headphone that sound half as good yet, but may do in the future. T1s still perform better in every aspect if you compare them to the K702. Larger soundstage, better instrument seperation, much better bass. Both may be a little bit bright (my T1s only felt bright when I first got them, they don't anymore), but not half as bright as the K702. The  T1s are also much more comfortable than the K702.

AGaisn, it might be a problem with my setup. Why do the K702 feel so weak compared to my T1? I have seen so much praise to the K702 on this website it has to be something on my end.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #3,124 of 3,394

T1s might have their flaws. I haven't heard any headphone that sound half as good yet, but may do in the future. T1s still perform better in every aspect if you compare them to the K702. Larger soundstage, better instrument seperation, much better bass. Both may be a little bit bright (my T1s only felt bright when I first got them, they don't anymore), but not half as bright as the K702. The  T1s are also much more comfortable than the K702.

AGaisn, it might be a problem with my setup. Why do the K702 feel so weak compared to my T1? I have seen so much praise to the K702 on this website it has to be something on my end.

Here you go, http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #3,125 of 3,394
Got mine a couple of weeks ago, SN3908. Wasn't impressed at all by the out-of-box perfermance as they sounded muddy and congested. Opened up arround 200 hours burn-in. I wouldn't call these neutral. Compared with the other 2 AKGs I own (601 and 702), they're obviously more colored (on the warm side), more colored even than hd650.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #3,127 of 3,394
  I think "congested" would be at the bottom of my list of adjectives to describe the K702/65.

Well, my initial impression was a surprise, esp. compared with the standard 702s, which have a open, spacious sound. Apart from the coloration, the soundstage is more intimately presented, so different from the 702s that I wondered why they were named 702...Even after burn in, I still think annies are inferior to 702 in terms of transparency and openness.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #3,128 of 3,394
  Well, my initial impression was a surprise, esp. compared with the standard 702s, which have a open, spacious sound. Apart from the coloration, the soundstage is more intimately presented, so different from the 702s that I wondered why they were named 702...Even after burn in, I still think annies are inferior to 702 in terms of transparency and openness.

Try switching the pads from the K702 onto the Annies.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3,130 of 3,394
I gotcha. I don't doubt the difference as I've never listened to the K702. I still find my HD580's to have much better bass extension and to sound warmer overall compared to the K702/65's but I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with me.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #3,131 of 3,394

The K702/65 has quite a bit of bass for me, at least when compared to the likes of ATH AD series. My old T1 has about the same amount of bass, maybe even less due to the pronounced treble. The K702/65's treble doesn't stand out that much, almost HD 650-like. I use my Fostex HP-A8 DAC/amp.

This AKG is overall quite warm which is different from the old K70x lot for sure. I'm curious what the K712 sounds like.

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3,132 of 3,394
I've owned this headphone for just two days, but I am quite impressed.

I've removed those foam rings, and I am using an EQ to boost those sub-bass frequencies a little. I boost those ~55hz frequencies by about 5 db.
And is it just me, or does the soundstage perform way better when the cups are placed correctly? For me that's basically when the headphone is placed as low as possible on my skull for some reason.

If I had to describe the sound so far, I would say that it's effortless and neutral. The slow bass of the HD650, and the piercing treble and lack of upper mids in the HE400, are making me really appreciate these features.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,134 of 3,394
I've been listening to these more in the last few days. I think I'm getting more used to the signature. Reminds me a bit of my AD900 in some ways, especially when I'm listening to light acoustic music. Similar soundstage and instrument seperation, quite a bit heavier on bass. They feel less neutral and more on the bright side but I'm getting used to it and it'S less of a problem than I thought it would. They are great for electronic, jazz, classical and vocal music, less for heavier music (at least less immersive than say the HD598 and the T1) but still they have their qualities. I wish the headphones and earcups were a bit bigger though. My big head and ears make the fit a bit hard to deal with and I have to move them a lot before I can get at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back