AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jul 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,761 of 3,394
Thanks for the responses.
The Annies sound awesome. I'm torn between them and the Philips X1 at this point. X1 wins if I need that extra bass but if I don't the Annie seems a little more appealing.

I am sure the STX would suffice but I'm wondering if getting a separate DAC + AMP would be worth while on these. I know I would need to get an AMP for use with the Mixamp anyway. 

I was thinking STX (Optical out for Dolby headphone*) -> DAC -> AMP.
*need to double check this actually works or downsize to something else

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,762 of 3,394
I know this may be the wrong thread to push it... but get some Schiit
wink.gif

Also... I very much love the HD650s for their warmer tonal signature... greater bass than the K702 Annies if that's what you want, but it is more 'relaxed' so they require more time to appreciate.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,763 of 3,394
Quote:
I know this may be the wrong thread to push it... but get some Schiit
wink.gif

Also... I very much love the HD650s for their warmer tonal signature... greater bass than the K702 Annies if that's what you want, but it is more 'relaxed' so they require more time to appreciate.

I have thought about the HD650. It seems like a great piece of equipment and to be honest if I was more into Music than I currently am I probably would go that route 
regular_smile .gif
. With my current interests it seems like (based on other threads) the Annie and X1 are the ways to go.

Also saw the Shiit in your sig, do you have to order from them directly or is there a Canadian shop that carries them? Seems like for my purposes I would have to go Bifrost and Magni or Asgard 2

Sorry for off topic.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,764 of 3,394
I got my Schiit used here in the for sale/trade forum. Very good sellers here as a whole.

Here is the Canadian distributor:

http://www.headphonebar.com/
http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/dealers/

I've ordered from headphone bar before (for other gear... not Schiit). Just recently they were a bit slow getting stock (due to the massive backorders) from Schiit for the Asgard 2 cause I was eyeing that for a long time (then I saw a used Mojo/Gun for an irresistible price). They ship Canadian exclusively and do it for a very reasonable price. Relatively quick replies and good customer service as a whole (they forgot something and shipped it right away when I emailed them).

I notice they don't have M&M combo or Asgard 2 listed on their website. Email them to ask... they might simply have to put in an order to Schiit for ya. Since they're an authorized distributor, you can rest assured that it includes the legendary warranty from Schiit.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,765 of 3,394
Quote:
Hello everyone; new poster, long time lurker.
I currently own a Beyer T1 and recently I have been finding myself not listening to music as much and instead spending most of my time gaming or movies. I cant justify keeping the T1's for my uses and instead am thinking of a downgrade to an Annie possibly.

My question is how does the Annie compare? I am especially curious how the bass compares. I am more interested in Impact than how low it is able to go. I realize the K702 are not known for bass but it seems like the Annie has improved on this a little.
 I also own the Denon D7000 and while nice I have found I don't really miss the bass on it compared to the T1.

The Anniversary is warmer, thicker, and more intimate sounding than the T1.  The T1's highs are brighter and are more pronounced, and mids a little more distant.  The T1 has more bass impact.  You can think of the T1 as being "U" shaped next to the Anniversaries.    The Anniversary shares some similarities with the HD650 in sound.

The T1 and D7000 already have an awesome soundstage (and the D7000's sub-bass is EPIC) so I wouldn't really expect the Anniversary to improve any on those flagships for gaming.  It may be flatter and more natural sounding, but the bass is less immersive and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Annies sound awesome. I'm torn between them and the Philips X1 at this point. X1 wins if I need that extra bass but if I don't the Annie seems a little more appealing.

The X1 has a closer signature to the T1 and D7000 then the Anniversaries do.

IMO the X1s are more fun and immersive for gaming then the Anniversary.  If you want comparison details between the two, check out this review > http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/philips-fidelio-x1-review-comparison

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,768 of 3,394
Got my K702.65 today and have been listening to them straight out of the box, with a Matrix-M Stage and a Aune T1. I've been comparing it to a Fidelio X1 which I received 4 days ago, and neither of these have been burned in . So my initial impressions are that soundstage both width and depth are much better on the Annie's. The X1 is darker sounding with a heavy bass impact and smooth midrange, but compared to the Annie's the top end seems to be a bit rolled off og and not so revealing. So far I prefer the Annie's with the Aune T1 wirh Amperex orange globes. the M-Stage is also new and not burned in, so things might change during burn in. I also haven't rolled any opamps into the M-Stage, but i have several opamps to try, and also have adapters with class A-Biasing, so there should be lots of fun coming up in a few weeks time.The Annies will remain on burn in whwn I go on holliday in a weeks time, so hopefully they will be well burned in by the time I return:) First round of impressions go to the K702-65 over the X1, but they're both extremely good Headphones I feel. Looking to get me a Sennheiser HD600 in the near future as well...after reading about it I might prefer it to the HD650..and some people also say that the X1 and HD650 are quite similar. So that's why I consider the HD600's

Short review as promised. Will get back with more impressions in a months time.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,769 of 3,394
Thats simply a great idea! What kind of music do you listen to?

Sorry for the long delay for the reply. I'm in vacation :p. I listen to different genre but mainly Acoustic music, guitar & cello base. Like my RadioHead too.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,772 of 3,394
Quote:
Got my K702.65 today and have been listening to them straight out of the box, with a Matrix-M Stage and a Aune T1. I've been comparing it to a Fidelio X1 which I received 4 days ago, and neither of these have been burned in . So my initial impressions are that soundstage both width and depth are much better on the Annie's. The X1 is darker sounding with a heavy bass impact and smooth midrange, but compared to the Annie's the top end seems to be a bit rolled off og and not so revealing. So far I prefer the Annie's with the Aune T1 wirh Amperex orange globes. the M-Stage is also new and not burned in, so things might change during burn in. I also haven't rolled any opamps into the M-Stage, but i have several opamps to try, and also have adapters with class A-Biasing, so there should be lots of fun coming up in a few weeks time.The Annies will remain on burn in whwn I go on holliday in a weeks time, so hopefully they will be well burned in by the time I return:) First round of impressions go to the K702-65 over the X1, but they're both extremely good Headphones I feel. Looking to get me a Sennheiser HD600 in the near future as well...after reading about it I might prefer it to the HD650..and some people also say that the X1 and HD650 are quite similar. So that's why I consider the HD600's

Short review as promised. Will get back with more impressions in a months time.

Burn them in for a long time, they change dramatically in my experience.  Fantastic headphones in all respects IMO.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,773 of 3,394
Quote:
I bet that sounds phenominal! Maybe pickup a balanced cable for the K702-65?

Last year at RMAF I got a chance to hear a balanced K701 on the Bryston BHA-1 at TTVJ's table.  I was blown away, and I honestly thought it was one of the best sounding systems there (short of the SR-009 systems anyway).  I also heard the same K701 with an adapter on the BHA-1 from the single-ended output, and while it was good it was much less impressive.  For some reason, the balanced output really brought the K701 to life from a dynamics standpoint.  I'm still not convinced that balanced cables make a huge difference for headphones -- but I can definitively say that the balanced output of the BHA-1 sounded better than the single-ended output.

One problem with the K702, Q701, and K702-65 headphones is that they have a three-wire detachable cable -- so unfortunately it's not very easy to go balanced with these headphones.  You'd have to do some fairly significant modifications to get the headphones to accept a balanced four-wire cable.  By contrast, the K701's cable is hard-wired, and it actually has four conductors and is therefore quite easy to balance (just cut off the TRS connector and solder on a 4-pin XLR).

Out of curiosity, has anyone taken the K702-65 balanced?

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,775 of 3,394

Users who are viewing this thread

Back