AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jul 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,746 of 3,395
Quote:
Word of caution: avoid the JJ tubes with the Lyr for the Annies. I tested a friend's Lyr with those tubes using the Annies... just a nasty sound to me ears, way too harsh.

I've got plenty of tubes already from the Aune T1 and a previous project. Voshkods, Mullard, Siemes CCa, Amperex OG and 7308, Toshiba, and also the JJ's, so plenty of tubes and time to find my match:) Will probably not get the Lyr yet...got to ship out a little bit first:wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,747 of 3,395
Quote:
Does anybody here have a serial number of their AKG K702 LE greater than 3000?

Quote:
Yes, someone on this thread received a pair with a serial above 3000 in exchange for a defective pair as far as I remember. Look through the photos for this thread, he posted one.

Yeah, that was me:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition/2445#post_9401177

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,749 of 3,395
Mine is also 36xx also, Im too lazy to look at the exact number. I just know its in the 36xx.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,751 of 3,395
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Wow...just bought a brand new Annie for $350. Was going to get the K712 pro, but after reading about it it looks like the Annie is still the King. Can't wait for this to arrive. Really looking forward to try this superb headphone:) Going to get a Schiit Lyr soon as well, and hope that they'll be a match made in heaven:)

Please post a review before and after burning of the Annie when you get it :)

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,752 of 3,395
Quote:

I may be ending up with the same setup, my Annies are pretty well broken in or damn near there. just need to move my Valhalla and order the Lyr or MAYBE Asgard 2, depends on a couple things...

My Annies with a class A tube hybrid amp a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2(not quite a Lyr, but the same design concept more or less) is a really good match.  Very nice sound, smooth yet detailed and great bass with some good extension on the right recordings...

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,753 of 3,395
Quote:

Yeah, I can give a try. I'm new to head-fi, but been in the hifibusiness for over 20 years now, so have been around the block before:wink:

I'm gonna give a quick review when I get them, and then I go on holiday, planning to burn them in for about 200 hours before I check them again. Gonna use a Aune T1 and a Matrix M-Stage to review with, but I also have ordered a Schiit Lyr, but that won't get used untill I get back from holiday. So you must be patient with me...

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,755 of 3,395
Quote:
Mine have number 003588.  No full review here, but I paired them with the Asgard 2, and life is beautiful.  Plenty of good controlled base to go with the other fine qualities of the annies.

I decided to listen to mine through my Valhalla a bit more before I sold the amp and I am liking the sound! Maybe the Annies are finally broken in all the way?  I wasn't too keen on the sound when I first tried the combo a while back but something has changed....

Anyone else have this combo at home that they can try? I even listened to the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 last night on the same material to make sure I wasn't crazy and I stand by what I hear, the X-Can is a known good match for the AKG and I may prefer the Schiit to it!  Maybe NOT selling the Valhalla?

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,756 of 3,395
Hello everyone; new poster, long time lurker.
I currently own a Beyer T1 and recently I have been finding myself not listening to music as much and instead spending most of my time gaming or movies. I cant justify keeping the T1's for my uses and instead am thinking of a downgrade to an Annie possibly.

My question is how does the Annie compare? I am especially curious how the bass compares. I am more interested in Impact than how low it is able to go. I realize the K702 are not known for bass but it seems like the Annie has improved on this a little.

For reference I am using the less than ideal Asus Xonar STX with the T1. I also own the Denon D7000 and while nice I have found I don't really miss the bass on it compared to the T1.

Thank you for your time.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,757 of 3,395
Quote:
My question is how does the Annie compare? I am especially curious how the bass compares. I am more interested in Impact than how low it is able to go. I realize the K702 are not known for bass but it seems like the Annie has improved on this a little.

The bass on the Annie is tight and detailed can get low when called for. The impact is there for me. I can't really comment on anything else because I don't know how the T1 sounds. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,758 of 3,395
+1 it is very tight and punchy when called for.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,759 of 3,395
Does the Annie beat the K1000 in any way?  I asked about this over in the K712 thread but no one has been able to comment on this.  It's been some time since the K1000 was first released and I'm curious if any of AKGs new top of the line cans can compete with the abilities of the K1000, notably in the bass region which is where I felt the K1000 fell short of the HD800.  I mostly preferred the tone and neutrality of the K1000 over the HD800.  Would the Annie or the K712 resemble more of what the K1000 sounds like?  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back