AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,461 of 3,395
Seems to be the norm rather than the exception nowadays. Look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 LE -- same story (new design and pads, barebones box with a piece of paper). Even the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV had an austere package, and that's a $1000+ 50th Anniversary product.

May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,465 of 3,395
Anyone experience creaking/squeaking from the hinges? I poked around some old AKG X70x threads and it seemed like people referred to creaking as a problem from the past. I'm assuming that the joints will 'break in' but I am simply curious.

May 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,466 of 3,395
Quote:
Anyone experience creaking/squeaking from the hinges? I poked around some old AKG X70x threads and it seemed like people referred to creaking as a problem from the past. I'm assuming that the joints will 'break in' but I am simply curious.

Mine does on the right side hinge/pivot when I moved my head around.  It's mildly annoying, but not a huge detractor.  I've just assumed it would go away with time.  

May 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,467 of 3,395
Mine does on the right side hinge/pivot when I moved my head around.  It's mildly annoying, but not a huge detractor.  I've just assumed it would go away with time.  

My left side is more plastic on plastic creaking. The right is a squeak when moved up and down. Annoying, but I'm not going to do anything about it until I have another reason to send them in. By that time, I'm guessing they won't creak anymore. Thanks for the response.

May 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,468 of 3,395
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. The Annie is still a K70x with a sound tweak. It's not a flasghip level headphone. It's a great all arounder, with lots of balance. Not the best at any one thing, but great in basically all things. Still, it's a $375 headphone performance wise at best, and should be treated as such.

So it is good for a 375usd headphone?

I'm not yet convinced what headphone to purchase.
AD700 costs 120euro and seems to be good for competitive gaming but according youre review not good for "fun"
PC360 costs 155euro and seems to be similar to AD700, slightly more "fun".
Q702 costs   280euro and seems to have better "fun" compared to PC360, not sure if it's worth twice the price compared to PC360(?).
K702 65 Annie costs 569euro so it's twice the price of Q702, I don't think for me it's worth twice the cost.

I'm propably looking at either Q702 or PC360.
Also the K701 is 200euro but it seems if I'm spending 200euros I might aswell spend 80euros more for better gaming/movie/music "experience"?

my usage: 85% fps gaming, 2% music (eminem + rammsten) and 13% movies.

Currently have Sennheiser HD212 pro so I'm assuming big difference in performance regardless of headphones chosen.

May 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #2,469 of 3,395
Quote:
So it is good for a 375usd headphone?

I'm not yet convinced what headphone to purchase.
AD700 costs 120euro and seems to be good for competitive gaming but according youre review not good for "fun"
PC360 costs 155euro and seems to be similar to AD700, slightly more "fun".
Q702 costs   280euro and seems to have better "fun" compared to PC360, not sure if it's worth twice the price compared to PC360(?).
K702 65 Annie costs 569euro so it's twice the price of Q702, I don't think for me it's worth twice the cost.

I'm propably looking at either Q702 or PC360.
Also the K701 is 200euro but it seems if I'm spending 200euros I might aswell spend 80euros more for better gaming/movie/music "experience"?

my usage: 85% fps gaming, 2% music (eminem + rammsten) and 13% movies.

Currently have Sennheiser HD212 pro so I'm assuming big difference in performance regardless of headphones chosen.

Not gonna answer your primary question but I would strongly advise to find out what is "fun" for you in terms of headphone sound...
(people here usually consider as fun V-shaped or subwooferish bassy headphones... for me, anything too far from neutral is not fun but boring and lacking in terms of fidelity)

As for the difference... I would say you will be happy, with AKGs at least, but don't expect miracles. Regardless of what headphone you choose to purchase, you are still going to get a pair of headphones (nothing more, nothing less). Even though I have owned several flagship models and am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD800, I would be very careful about comparing them subjectively to "lesser" headphones. In reality, if you take these HD800/LCD-2/whatever and compare side by side with some budget full-size headphone on the same amp, you will find that the actual difference in performance is NOT that big. Definitely not 15x better or something like that (100USD phone vs 1500USD HD800), rather 2x better at best if we stay rational.

To sum up, the reason to go and keep some flagship is that it offers certain quality(ies) that you enjoy very much with headphones and that is simply better with that flagship than with anything. If you are after extremely defined, deep and clear bass that is both fun and realistic, you get LCD-2/LCD-3. If you are after neutrality, soundstage, imaging, separation, you would prefer HD800... If you want to get awesome vocals, you could try some Audio Technica etc. Therefore, I would universally suggest to find out what you are searching for with headphones and choose according to that.

From the list above, I would most probably get K702 anniversary as it seems to be an overpriced but still very versatile headphone that will offer you good results in every sound aspect. Or, you could try Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600/HD650. Especially Senns are very cheap in Europe and therefore I would most probably go for one of those two over AKG or HE-400 if you are short on budget. Both HD600 and HD650 are keepers, definitely headphones worth having.

May 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,470 of 3,395
Quote:

Not gonna answer your primary question but I would strongly advise to find out what is "fun" for you in terms of headphone sound...
(people here usually consider as fun V-shaped or subwooferish bassy headphones... for me, anything too far from neutral is not fun but boring and lacking in terms of fidelity)

As for the difference... I would say you will be happy, with AKGs at least, but don't expect miracles. Regardless of what headphone you choose to purchase, you are still going to get a pair of headphones (nothing more, nothing less). Even though I have owned several flagship models and am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD800, I would be very careful about comparing them subjectively to "lesser" headphones. In reality, if you take these HD800/LCD-2/whatever and compare side by side with some budget full-size headphone on the same amp, you will find that the actual difference in performance is NOT that big. Definitely not 15x better or something like that (100USD phone vs 1500USD HD800), rather 2x better at best if we stay rational.

To sum up, the reason to go and keep some flagship is that it offers certain quality(ies) that you enjoy very much with headphones and that is simply better with that flagship than with anything. If you are after extremely defined, deep and clear bass that is both fun and realistic, you get LCD-2/LCD-3. If you are after neutrality, soundstage, imaging, separation, you would prefer HD800... If you want to get awesome vocals, you could try some Audio Technica etc. Therefore, I would universally suggest to find out what you are searching for with headphones and choose according to that.

From the list above, I would most probably get K702 anniversary as it seems to be an overpriced but still very versatile headphone that will offer you good results in every sound aspect. Or, you could try Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600/HD650. Especially Senns are very cheap in Europe and therefore I would most probably go for one of those two over AKG or HE-400 if you are short on budget. Both HD600 and HD650 are keepers, definitely headphones worth having.

Thanks for the good post.

"Fun" to me propably would be getting sucked into a game or movie.
When I listen to music it's usually eminem and propably I prefer havin good amount of bass.
Also "feeling" bullets and explosions is something that I prefer.
Based on the above I think closed headphones are the best, however for competitive gaming they say open headphones is the way to go.

Generally I don't like paying for a product if it's overpriced, propably won't buy the K702annie at 569euro's.
I'm generally spending 80% on gaming and 20% on movies/tv shows.
Because I mainly do gaming and positional sound is important(footsteps & knowing where enemy is) I looked at this guide:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

I based my list of that guide, even though I exclusively game on PC (that link is for console gaming).

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm is also cheap (cheaper then Sennheiser PC360).
According the link above it got Fun: 9 and Competitive: 8.

Ultimately because I do game alot and want every edge in competitive gaming I propably should buy PC360/AD700/K701/Q701/K702/702annie (for competitive they all got 9.5 or better).

Considering I never tried anything Hi Fi earphones before I could aswell just order Sennheiser PC360 and call it a day :D
I was seriously considering PC350 but I read so many bad things it fell out of buying list.

May 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,471 of 3,395
Quote:
"Fun" to me propably would be getting sucked into a game or movie. When I listen to music it's usually eminem and propably I prefer havin good amount of bass.
Based on the above I think closed headphones are the best, however for competitive gaming they say open headphones is the way to go.

Try the ATH-W1000X. It's a good mix between immersion and competitiveness.

May 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,472 of 3,395
Quote:

Yeah and that was written by Hifiguy so it all comes to his AKG inside source. If there is indeed more than 3000 copies released I feel really angry. I mean the K712 comes with all extra stuff that should have shipped with anniversary edition. What did we prototype testers get? Sticker and a booklet. AKG you can stick that sticker up into your ***.

I completely agree. If the K712 can be found for anywhere near the $400 I paid for the K702 65th and comes with the extras, I'll be pretty miffed. 

May 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,473 of 3,395
569euro is way overpriced for the Annies.  I am not sure what competing headphones there are at that price, but I feel the Annies are fairly priced at $375.  I would also look into the DT 990 Premium if they are quite a bit cheaper then the Annies.  I was thinking about getting those before deciding on the Annies.

May 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,474 of 3,395
Quote:
Thanks for the good post.

"Fun" to me propably would be getting sucked into a game or movie.
When I listen to music it's usually eminem and propably I prefer havin good amount of bass.

Generally I don't like paying for a product if it's overpriced, propably won't buy the K702annie at 569euro's.
I'm generally spending 80% on gaming and 20% on movies/tv shows.
Because I mainly do gaming and positional sound is important(footsteps & knowing where enemy is) I looked at this guide:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

I based my list of that guide, even though I exclusively game on PC (that link is for console gaming).

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm is also cheap (cheaper then Sennheiser PC360).
According the link above it got Fun: 9 and Competitive: 8.

Ultimately because I do game alot and want every edge in competitive gaming I propably should buy PC360/AD700/K701/Q701/K702/702annie (for competitive they all got 9.5 or better).

Considering I never tried anything Hi Fi earphones before I could aswell just order Sennheiser PC360 and call it a day :D
I was seriously considering PC350 but I read so many bad things it fell out of buying list.

I have been on a quest to find some headphones that are balanced in the fun/competitive areas and so far have tried the AKG Q701 and the Beyerdynamic DT990 250. Both of these I have tested with a Fiio E17 amp and I use a Astro Mixamp for gaming. 

AKG Q701- It didnt take much listening to realize this is a truly special headphone. The sound signature is slightly warm but very balanced with incredible instrumental separation and a massively euphoric soundstage that will place instruments all around you creating a very "orchestraic" experience. With gaming this results in incredible positioning/directional accuracy and detail retrieval resulting in a very analytical feeling sound signature/experience. While the soundstage is enormous and airy, it dies off in the sub bass department very noticeably. It simply with not "thump, thwack, boom, etc." like the DT990 will. This for me, as petty as it may sound, was enough to try something else as the lack of bass simply ruined the immersion factor for me with games. Explosions were analyzed and not in my face like I wanted them to be, shotgun shots sounded like pellet bursts and not a satisfying boom like you want them to be. (even though they technically are pellet bursts). All in all I just could not be happy with the lack of sub bass for a set of gaming cans. However, these headphones have such a special sound when it comes to music that I may one day return to them. Even for rock they were awesome. I played some Deadmau5 type stuff and while they bass was certainly present, it just was as impactful as I wanted it to be. EQ'ing in more bass starts to muddy the mids and mess with the soundstage/signature too much so that is was not much of an option either.

DT 990- Ahhh, theres the bass Ive been looking for. You will immediately notice these cans are quite pronounced in the bass and treble department. But damn is the bass incredible; so responsive, powerful, immersive and welcoming. It does not overwhelm the soundstage but it does make the mids feel recessed in comparison. The treble is certainly bright and MILDLY fatiguing but you can effectively EQ that down without messing with the rest of the sound. The soundstage is quite large though certainly smaller than the Q701s. The positional/directional accuracy is great but also a small step below the Q701s as it does not clearly separate each direction out as well. For example you will have a harder time telling if something is coming from back right or straight back as the separation is not quite as clear as it is with the Q701s. For competitive gaming this is not a huge loss because in Dolby Surround you will still have great awareness. Unless you are a VERY competitive gamer (league play) you shouldnt be too concerned. What these cans do bring to the table is immersion and it is mostly due to the deep sub bass and warm, in your face treble. Explosions, gun shots, electronic sounds, etc. are all awesome sounding and well realized/felt with the DT 990. Rap music/electronic etc. all sound great. They do well with rock as well. However, they do not have the massively euphoric soundstage (sound space really) that the Q701s do. I found myself getting lost in the music with the Q701s much more than with the DT990s which are more fatiguing overall.

One last part about the comfort. I found the Q701s to have a neat suspension design for the headband but it did start to dig in on the crown of my head and become uncomfortable after an hour or so. The DT990 pro that I have are quite comfortable by comparison. Some say they are clamply although I dont think so and if they are for you just stretch them out a bit. Both are constructed very well too. 

For gaming, Id go with the DT 990 with what you describe as your preferences. Then grab a clip on mic of some sort and call it a day! 

May 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,475 of 3,395
Apparently $375 seems to be the consensus "value" for the K702 AE...just thought I'd chime in with my opinion.

The K702 AE and DT880/600 are my favorite headphones under $500 (with the disclaimer that I haven't heard the HD600 or HE-400).  For that reason, I think I'd probably be willing to pay up to $500 for either of these.

It's like RustA said -- it's not like the flagships are 15x better than these "mid-fi" headphones.  I probably wouldn't even call them 2x better.  Value is a very difficult thing to judge and ultimately depends on the buyer.  The best opinion I can offer is that I think the K702 AE is very competitive in its price class...but to be realistic, I don't think it's on par with the HD800 / T1 / HE-6 / LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back