AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,476 of 3,395
Quote:

It's like RustA said -- it's not like the flagships are 15x better than these "mid-fi" headphones.  I probably wouldn't even call them 2x better.  Value is a very difficult thing to judge and ultimately depends on the buyer.  The best opinion I can offer is that I think the K702 AE is very competitive in its price class...but to be realistic, I don't think it's on par with the HD800 / T1 / HE-6 / LCD-3.

I think that is an excellent point, and one many people asking for advice don't get. I couldn't count how many times a new member might say something like "Is the LCD-2 3X better than the HD650?". It comes down to value, and to some people, yes it is. 

I also, agree with your conclusions there. It's a mid-tier can. 

May 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2,477 of 3,395
Quote:

I think that is an excellent point, and one many people asking for advice don't get. I couldn't count how many times a new member might say something like "Is the LCD-2 3X better than the HD650?". It comes down to value, and to some people, yes it is. 

Yeah, it goes back to that age old questions of which can do you spend good money on until you start seeing drastically diminishing returns. For a lot of people, it's going to be that $300-500 range. There's a good chance (and knowing it's all a very personal thing) that the Annie could be that can for a decent amount of people.

May 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,478 of 3,395
Quote:
569euro is way overpriced for the Annies.  I am not sure what competing headphones there are at that price, but I feel the Annies are fairly priced at $375.  I would also look into the DT 990 Premium if they are quite a bit cheaper then the Annies.  I was thinking about getting those before deciding on the Annies.

What about the Senns hd600, also priced above 350$ ?

May 12, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #2,480 of 3,395
May 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,481 of 3,395
It's happened again, people. Razordogaudio.com has the K702 65th Anniversary Edition on sale for $349 through the end of May with coupon code RAZORDOG65TH. Go get.

May 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,482 of 3,395
Quote:
It's happened again, people. Razordogaudio.com has the K702 65th Anniversary Edition on sale for $349 through the end of May with coupon code RAZORDOG65TH. Go get.

Yeah or wait for several months until Razordog will offer k712 for the same price using the code RAZORDOGPRO...
tongue.gif

I am personally not going to purchase anything until K712 Pro come out and show what they have to offer.

May 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,483 of 3,395
Quote:
Yeah or wait for several months until Razordog will offer k712 for the same price using the code RAZORDOGPRO...
tongue.gif

I am personally not going to purchase anything until K712 Pro come out and show what they have to offer.

Indeed. I'm astonished that people are still asking for $320+ on the K702-65th second-hand...

May 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,485 of 3,395
Quote:

I agree with you on this but I've been following this thread for a while, owned and then sold the 65th and I don't think anyone ever claimed it to be on a similar level to any of the top flagships, aside from MLE preferring it to the LCD-2.  Yes, I'm sure there was some general impression of hype in this thread but I think the accusations of hype have been somewhat overblown here.  

And I myself have fallen victim to "hype train" in the past as well.  Case in point, going from the K701 to LCD-2 R1 blew me away, but in retrospect I feel it was way over-hyped, at least for the qualities that I value in headphones.  Getting to hear the T1 got me to sell my LCD-2 almost immediately.  And even then, moved to HE-6, then dropping back to mid tier phones a bit, then to HD800 and am settled on it for a while at least.  Of the under $1000 phones I've owned, the one that comes the closest to that level to me, is AD2000X, though sacrificing some bass and soundstage.

It all depends really on what qualities you value in headphones.  For people who have little value for soundstage but like drive and attack for instance, Grado's may be amazing for them.  Likewise bass for LCD-2's, or HD800's for all-around performance.  If you value a well rounded, non-offensive headphone around the price of the K702 65th, it will come off as an awesome headphone for the price.  The key is trying to evaluate the qualities that others value, and relating it to your own.

So that being said, the K702 65th is a mid tier can but is very solid for the price (for what I value) and could satisfy many people but probably won't "blow away" experienced headphone enthusiasts.

May 13, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #2,487 of 3,395
JWahl sums it up completely.

How can anyone try to compare the K702's, headphones available for sub-$400, to headphones three times as much?  I read all the reviews and I don't think that they did.
I believe, in this thread, it was stated they sounded a little fuller compared to the k701, and standard K702's.  Whether that is because of the earpads. hand picked transducers, or pixie dust, I don't really care.  They sound just great to me, and I like the sound better than the sound that the HD-600s that they replaced.  The clearer HF is more suited to my taste.  I like to have comfort too, and they afford more of that for me.  Since so much of this involves personal taste then let me add that I like the color too.

These will tide me over till I get a Beyer T1 or HD-800.

Another post down, and before long they might let me do something about my avatar.....  Ha Ha

May 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,488 of 3,395
Quote:

How can anyone try to compare the K702's, headphones available for sub-$400, to headphones three times as much?  I read all the reviews and I don't think that they did.
I believe, in this thread, it was stated they sounded a little fuller compared to the k701, and standard K702's.  Whether that is because of the earpads. hand picked transducers, or pixie dust, I don't really care.  They sound just great to me, and I like the sound better than the sound that the HD-600s that they replaced.  The clearer HF is more suited to my taste.  I like to have comfort too, and they afford more of that for me.  Since so much of this involves personal taste then let me add that I like the color too.

Another post down, and before long they might let me do something about my avatar.....  Ha Ha

Price means nothing , you can prefer a sub 400$ to a +1000$ headphone
redface.gif

May 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,489 of 3,395
Quote:

Ofcourse you can compare 400usd dollar headphones to 1200usd headphones, even if the 1200usd headphone is better doesnt mean that the 400usd headphone is bad..

As an example I'm getting K601, the K702 Annie is 4x the price, now if K601 satisfies my needs and I never get to test the Annies I don't know what I'm loosing :wink:

Also in Europe the K702 Annie is 469 euro, that is twice as much as 349usd so it even becomes a thing of where you live also.
So anyone that want's to compare price/performance in Europe you have to compare K702 Annie 469euro vs XXXX headphone for 400-500euro.

Quote:

Price means nothing , you can prefer a sub 400$ to a +1000$ headphone
redface.gif

Good point.

May 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,490 of 3,395
Take HD600 (250EURO) or HD650 (up to 300EURO)  and I am pretty sure K702 Annie don't stand a chance in terms of value...

Btw, enjoyment is not equal fidelity or technical ability... You can prefer whatever you want but I am sure you won't say that x70x are better than HD800 for example... They are simply not, whatever pads/headband you use.

If you are ONLY after subjective enjoyment, even 100USD headphone can do and you should definitely not go for any flagship... Flagships are about fidelity, accuracy, precision, ultimate detail IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back