AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,491 of 3,395
Quote:
Take HD600 (250EURO) or HD650 (up to 300EURO)  and I am pretty sure K702 Annie don't stand a chance in terms of value...

Are you still looking headphones for your girlfriend? Why not get the HD650?

May 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2,492 of 3,395
Quote:

Are you still looking headphones for your girlfriend? Why not get the HD650?

Because I am in no hurry... Waiting for something that can convince me it's worth the money (K702 anniversary almost did it). Also, I am rather focused on searching for the right amplifier to complete my audio chain at the moment - pretty hard to find something completely suitable and within reasonable price range :)

May 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #2,493 of 3,395
Quote:

Because I am in no hurry... Waiting for something that can convince me it's worth the money (K702 anniversary almost did it). Also, I am rather focused on searching for the right amplifier to complete my audio chain at the moment - pretty hard to find something completely suitable and within reasonable price range :)

O, so you did get a chance to take a good listen to them then?

May 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,494 of 3,395
Quote:

O, so you did get a chance to take a good listen to them then?

After I found out they are just the same x70x phones with different pads, I really stopped thinking about having a demo at the local store... Also, from the impressions (last 10 or 20 pages really helped to understand the differences better), she would definitely prefer K701/Q701 over them (better soundstaging) because she loves HD800 as well as I love them.

Also, I would personally rather wait for K712 with all the accessories and better look... Wait for several months and the pricing will be the same as it is with this Anniversary edition at the moment.

The hype around Annies was quite fun but it's time to move on and wait for K712 Pro.

May 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2,495 of 3,395
Quote:

After I found out they are just the same x70x phones with different pads, I really stopped thinking about having a demo at the local store... Also, from the impressions (last 10 or 20 pages really helped to understand the differences better), she would definitely prefer K701/Q701 over them (better soundstaging) because she loves HD800 as well as I love them.

Also, I would personally rather wait for K712 with all the accessories and better look... Wait for several months and the pricing will be the same as it is with this Anniversary edition at the moment.

The hype around Annies was quite fun but it's time to move on and wait for K712 Pro.

This has to be one of the funniest post I've read in a while LOL.

May 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,496 of 3,395
Quote:

This has to be one of the funniest post I've read in a while LOL.

Oh really? You're welcome ,-)

Btw, if living in Finland, I wouldn't be so much into headphones and stuff... You can see and listen to nearly all of my favourite rock/metal bands there in person!

May 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,498 of 3,395
I just got my used pair in today. Overall, I think they sound pretty good, and I've not heard any other AKG headphones.

The good things are that I did not find these to be too lacking in bass, which was something I was afraid might happen. I'd still prefer a bit more weight in the lower bass, but that probably comes down more to personal preference. The treble is also fairly smooth to my ears and relatively in balance with the rest of the sound. For the first few minutes, I was actually pretty happy. They sounded fairly natural overall. But, the more I listened, the more I picked up on one major flaw that annoyed me, leading to my main complaint about them.

I had noticed that measurements for the K701/K702/Q701 headphones often showed a peak around 2KHz. This was even true of a K601 measurement I've seen as well. The K702 65th AE seems to exhibit the same trait, which did not surprise me in the end. I do not find this bump to be particularly pleasant, especially for heavier music (such as Opeth at loud volume). At lower levels and/or with other types of music, it's not too bad. For how and what I most often listen to, it doesn't work out so well. I would best describe it as shouty and harsh on my ears. (I'm stealing the term "shouty" here from someone else, but I had to agree)

Using EQ to remove that bump provided for a much nicer listening experience, in my opinion. That FR bump aside, I think the headphone sounds natural, fairly neutral, and overall pretty good. I've already started experimenting with various damping materials in front of the driver to see if I couldn't smooth that bump out, and so far I think I'm making good progress (nothing new...people have experimented with that damping on other K70x headphones before). Whether I'll end up keeping them for long is tough to say.

When the price is factored in, that's where I begin to hesitate recommending these outright. It seems like these go for around $400 new and more than $300 used. I think something like the HD598 offers a smoother response at a much lower price, though you do trade for higher THD as well. I haven't heard the HD600, but I would guess that would be even better than the HD598 and more similarly priced to the 65th AE. And while the Mad Dog at $300 still isn't perfect, I think it has a more well-rounded, smoother response than the 65th AE as well. It's tuned to be darker than the 65th AE, sure, but I find that works out better for me when it comes to long and loud listening sessions. I do wish the Mad Dog's treble was as smooth as the 65th AE, but it's a smaller offense than the 2KHz bump. Don't like the Mad Dog? It's probably worth spending the extra $100 (from the 65th AE) and trying the Paradox, then.

While the K702 65th AE certainly isn't a bad headphone and sounds good for the most part, it's difficult for me to recommend them at their current price point. I simply feel there are more competitive headphones out there for the same price or less, open or closed.

May 14, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,499 of 3,395
Quote:
I just got my used pair in today. Overall, I think they sound pretty good, and I've not heard any other AKG headphones.

The good things are that I did not find these to be too lacking in bass, which was something I was afraid might happen. I'd still prefer a bit more weight in the lower bass, but that probably comes down more to personal preference. The treble is also fairly smooth to my ears and relatively in balance with the rest of the sound. For the first few minutes, I was actually pretty happy. They sounded fairly natural overall. But, the more I listened, the more I picked up on one major flaw that annoyed me, leading to my main complaint about them.

I had noticed that measurements for the K701/K702/Q701 headphones often showed a peak around 2KHz. This was even true of a K601 measurement I've seen as well. The K702 65th AE seems to exhibit the same trait, which did not surprise me in the end. I do not find this bump to be particularly pleasant, especially for heavier music (such as Opeth at loud volume). At lower levels and/or with other types of music, it's not too bad. For how and what I most often listen to, it doesn't work out so well. I would best describe it as shouty and harsh on my ears. (I'm stealing the term "shouty" here from someone else, but I had to agree)

Using EQ to remove that bump provided for a much nicer listening experience, in my opinion. That FR bump aside, I think the headphone sounds natural, fairly neutral, and overall pretty good. I've already started experimenting with various damping materials in front of the driver to see if I couldn't smooth that bump out, and so far I think I'm making good progress (nothing new...people have experimented with that damping on other K70x headphones before). Whether I'll end up keeping them for long is tough to say.

When the price is factored in, that's where I begin to hesitate recommending these outright. It seems like these go for around $400 new and more than $300 used. I think something like the HD598 offers a smoother response at a much lower price, though you do trade for higher THD as well. I haven't heard the HD600, but I would guess that would be even better than the HD598 and more similarly priced to the 65th AE. And while the Mad Dog at $300 still isn't perfect, I think it has a more well-rounded, smoother response than the 65th AE as well. It's tuned to be darker than the 65th AE, sure, but I find that works out better for me when it comes to long and loud listening sessions. I do wish the Mad Dog's treble was as smooth as the 65th AE, but it's a smaller offense than the 2KHz bump. Don't like the Mad Dog? It's probably worth spending the extra $100 (from the 65th AE) and trying the Paradox, then.

While the K702 65th AE certainly isn't a bad headphone and sounds good for the most part, it's difficult for me to recommend them at their current price point. I simply feel there are more competitive headphones out there for the same price or less, open or closed.

If in fact there is a peak at 2KHz that would be amazing that you picked that out.  I must say, without seeing a FR chart or CSD plot first and stating at what range you hear the peak is pretty cool.  If it happens to be so.  

I don't use EQ so I may be missing something here.

Tell me you haven't seen a chart yet.  If so you just fooled the heck outta me..

May 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,500 of 3,395
Quote:

Personally I do not suggest to use EQ for a completed head-fi system. K702 65th is really different from others (like K/Q701), but in some ways we can still hear similarities. The only thing I want to complain K702 65th is about the  original headphone cable. It is even worse OFC cable than Q701. 

May 14, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,501 of 3,395
Quote:
If in fact there is a peak at 2KHz that would be amazing that you picked that out.  I must say, without seeing a FR chart or CSD plot first and stating at what range you hear the peak is pretty cool.  If it happens to be so.  

Tell me you haven't seen a chart yet.  If so you just fooled the heck outta me..

Quote:
I had noticed that measurements for the K701/K702/Q701 headphones often showed a peak around 2KHz. This was even true of a K601 measurement I've seen as well. The K702 65th AE seems to exhibit the same trait, which did not surprise me in the end.

BTW, we missed you at the meet the other day Preproman. 
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #2,502 of 3,395
Quote:
BTW, we missed you at the meet the other day Preproman. 
rolleyes.gif

Yea - I was on travel - at the last minute.  

Quote:

Quote:
I had noticed that measurements for the K701/K702/Q701 headphones often showed a peak around 2KHz. This was even true of a K601 measurement I've seen as well. The K702 65th AE seems to exhibit the same trait, which did not surprise me in the end.

I was talking about the measurements for the Annies..

May 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,503 of 3,395
Quote:

I don't use EQ so I may be missing something here.

Well, in case I wasn't clear originally (and I'm sorry if this disappoints), I've seen several measurements for the K701/K702/Q701 from a variety of sources (Tyll, purrin, Golden Ears, etc.), and I studied these pretty carefully before deciding to purchase the 65th AE. The measurements almost always exhibit some sort of peak around 2KHz. Even the K601 showed a peak there on purrin's setup. However, given the new pads and cherry-picked drivers (according to AKG), I wanted to evaluate the AE from a clean slate. I've personally heard how large of a difference pads can make in the sound alone, so that's what I did when I started listening.

After giving the AE a bit of listening time, I noticed a particular frequency range jumping out of me. I wasn't sure what, but I had a guess that it might be a similar peak around 2KHz. Or, at least, I felt that was the most logical place to start looking at. I honestly couldn't identify where it was exactly right off the bat...just a hunch. I tried poking around with EQ in that area, and sure enough, it definitely helped. That's how I concluded the K702 65th AE still exhibits a peak in that area. What I can't do just yet is verify the "severity" of it or how consistent those peaks are across different pairs of AE. All I know is that it literally hurts my ears after a few minutes, unless I listen at lower volumes (which is difficult for me). 

For other people, it might not be such a big deal. It might go completely unnoticed! All I know is that for me, it's a problem. And taking everything into consideration, I can't personally justify their price tag. I think they'd be more appropriately priced at no greater than $300, but probably less. I can understand if someone else disagrees. :)

May 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,504 of 3,395
Quote:
Personally I do not suggest to use EQ for a completed head-fi system. K702 65th is really different from others (like K/Q701), but in some ways we can still hear similarities. The only thing I want to complain K702 65th is about the  original headphone cable. It is even worse OFC cable than Q701. 

Is it really that different, though? The only differences I've heard about are different pads and cherry-picked drivers. And I was under the impression that most people felt they sound very similar but with some minor differences that really add up in the end. I mean, they really are the same headphone but with different pads based on everything I know so far...

And there's nothing wrong with EQ, especially if you're using a solid parametric EQ and EQ down instead of up (or at least reduce the overall EQ gain if you EQ up in spots). For me, that's pretty easy with my PC. Thankfully, that's really the only rig I use these days. 

However, I do prefer more permanent solutions over EQ, including modifications. As I've mentioned, I've already started testing various damping materials in front of the AE drivers with good results to my ears, at least to the point where I don't feel it necessary to EQ the AE anymore.

It's nothing to take personally, for anyone. I find myself usually EQing or modifying every headphone I listen to in one way or another. :)

May 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,505 of 3,395
Quote:
go_quote.gif

That's right Everyone should prefer what they want.  I believe as one whom was involved in the recording industry, that these phones do just fine in tech performance though.

It's the same old marketing technique, trying to tell us what we really want/need instead of letting us make a conscious decision... For example my main in-ear is a monoprice... For 15$ I am perfectly happy with the sound :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back