AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,521 of 3,395
Alright, thanks for the info.

As for the amp, do you have any suggestions? I've been looking for various amps and these stood out for me (thanks to RemOo recommendations):
1) Schiit Magni + Modi (200$)

2) Aune T1 (180$)

Matrix m-stage pairs well with the k70x series. I actually saw a few on the FS forum for good prices. I own that amp and am very pleased with its performance when paired with the Annie.

May 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #2,522 of 3,395
Quote:
Matrix m-stage pairs well with the k70x series. I actually saw a few on the FS forum for good prices. I own that amp and am very pleased with its performance when paired with the Annie.

Just a question, how do you pair my E10 with m-stage? Do I go like: PC > USB from E10 > 3.5mm to 3.5mm from m-stage?

I'm actually confused how you pair a E10 DAC with any amps to be honest.

May 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2,523 of 3,395
Quote:

As for the amp, do you have any suggestions? I've been looking for various amps and these stood out for me (thanks to RemOo recommendations):
2) Aune T1 (180$)

O2 can also be a good choice . Keeping the E10 as DAC .

Quote:

Just a question, how do you pair my E10 with m-stage? Do I go like: PC > USB from E10 > 3.5mm to 3.5mm from m-stage?

I'm actually confused how you pair a E10 DAC with any amps to be honest.

There are jack 3.5 to RCA câbles , nothing complicated . It's what i use to connect my Spitfire HD to my O2 .

May 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #2,525 of 3,395
Quote:

O2 can also be a good choice . Keeping the E10 as DAC .

There are jack 3.5 to RCA câbles , nothing complicated . It's what i use to connect my Spitfire HD to my O2 .

I also think O2 is a good choice but really, when I look at all of these and try to compare each other I just think every one them is right for my can and DAC.

So you connect your m-stage with "RCA to 3.5" to your DAC line out and then you plug your headphone to you m-stage? and than you plug your DAC to PC with USB for power? 

May 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,526 of 3,395
Just wanna say that the Annie has gone down to about <$385 on Amazon, essentially making them cost around $100 more than the Q701, which makes sense, when you factor in the cost of the more comfortable Annie headband and memory foam pads. At about $375, that's what I would put the Annie to be legitimately priced.

I will logically assdume the K712 Pro will follow suit and go downm to these prices. People thought the Annie would stay at $500.

Should know better by now.

May 20, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2,527 of 3,395
Quote:

2) Aune T1 (180$)

From the headphonia review/comparison:

"Thankfully, I own the Aune T1 Dac, which happened to come with a good B-USB Cable. Build quality is identical to the Magni. The backside features only standard RCA-out and the USB input. Shockingly, my trusty Aune T1 sounds near identical to the Schiit Magni and Modi Combo. I mean it. Its 95% the same, right down to build quality and size. The only differences would be the T1′s tube rolling options and that it can be used as both a DAC or a powerful 1-watt amplifier and the ocassional track that seems to push the upper region more forward on the T1 than the Modi. Tracks like Michael Jacksons’ “Billie Jean.” Noticeably more forward hi-hats on the T1 experience by itself. The Modi is more solid, more intimate, and noticeably less broad sounding than the Aune. The T1 is more aired out and both wider and taller in sound staging by a small degree.

The Aune T1 DAC/amp sounds almost identically the same but due to tube customization and it being both a DAC and a very good amplifier all by itself, I am going to say the Schiit combo is a step or two behind the Aune in quality. I think the T1 offers more."

I know you don't have FiiO E17 in your list, but here are some opinions + E17 vs T1 comparison from my personal experiences. T1 is practically designed for desktop use, while E17 is more versatile by being also a good portable amp. Soundwise T1 wins, but E17 has built in EQ which could come in handy. I've also noticed E17 to be slightly "brighter" sounding than the T1. Both are good products, but for the price T1 is very hard to beat. It is very nice looking unit and provides lots of fun if you're into tube rolling. Plenty of power to drive annies (even with the lowest gain settings) and with good tubes there is some serious synergy. T1 is practically SS amp with tube buffer DAC. In buffer stage the tubes don't affect the sound as much as they do in the dedicated tube amps. I have my tubes of choice for different music styles. If I feel that the annies get fatiguing with certain music styles (this is my biggest complain with annies), I roll in more mellow and round sounding tubes. With classical, jazz and acoustic/instrumental is use my most transparent sharp sounding tubes to really dig deep into the music. I always carry my headphones with me in every hifi expo etc meeting and I've tested annies with Lehmann Linear and Dacmagic plus among others and have to say that I was heavily disappointed with the Dacmagic. Linear sounded good, but wasn't as good as the retail price suggested (IMO of course). If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck, T1 gets my highest recommendation.

K702 Annies + K702 pads + T1 + Some nice tubes =
gs1000.gif

E: I've also heard good things about the M-Stage. Apparently has good synergy with K70X cans.

May 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,528 of 3,395
Quote:

From the headphonia review/comparison:

"Thankfully, I own the Aune T1 Dac, which happened to come with a good B-USB Cable. Build quality is identical to the Magni. The backside features only standard RCA-out and the USB input. Shockingly, my trusty Aune T1 sounds near identical to the Schiit Magni and Modi Combo. I mean it. Its 95% the same, right down to build quality and size. The only differences would be the T1′s tube rolling options and that it can be used as both a DAC or a powerful 1-watt amplifier and the ocassional track that seems to push the upper region more forward on the T1 than the Modi. Tracks like Michael Jacksons’ “Billie Jean.” Noticeably more forward hi-hats on the T1 experience by itself. The Modi is more solid, more intimate, and noticeably less broad sounding than the Aune. The T1 is more aired out and both wider and taller in sound staging by a small degree.

The Aune T1 DAC/amp sounds almost identically the same but due to tube customization and it being both a DAC and a very good amplifier all by itself, I am going to say the Schiit combo is a step or two behind the Aune in quality. I think the T1 offers more."

I know you don't have FiiO E17 in your list, but here are some opinions + E17 vs T1 comparison from my personal experiences. T1 is practically designed for desktop use, while E17 is more versatile by being also a good portable amp. Soundwise T1 wins, but E17 has built in EQ which could come in handy. I've also noticed E17 to be slightly "brighter" sounding than the T1. Both are good products, but for the price T1 is very hard to beat. It is very nice looking unit and provides lots of fun if you're into tube rolling. Plenty of power to drive annies (even with the lowest gain settings) and with good tubes there is some serious synergy. T1 is practically SS amp with tube buffer DAC. In buffer stage the tubes don't affect the sound as much as they do in the dedicated tube amps. I have my tubes of choice for different music styles. If I feel that the annies get fatiguing with certain music styles (this is my biggest complain with annies), I roll in more mellow and round sounding tubes. With classical, jazz and acoustic/instrumental is use my most transparent sharp sounding tubes to really dig deep into the music. I always carry my headphones with me in every hifi expo etc meeting and I've tested annies with Lehmann Linear and Dacmagic plus among others and have to say that I was heavily disappointed with the Dacmagic. Linear sounded good, but wasn't as good as the retail price suggested (IMO of course). If you are looking to get the best bang for your buck, T1 gets my highest recommendation.

K702 Annies + K702 pads + T1 + Some nice tubes =
gs1000.gif

E: I've also heard good things about the M-Stage. Apparently has good synergy with K70X cans.

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely considering T1 and tube usage is a big plus I guess.

I'll wait and see if the price will drop down, currently it's kind of overpriced for me as I'm just about to buy an annie ($400+: thanks to Amazon not able to ship to my location).
Same thing goes for m-stage, O2 combo, schitt etc etc.

Also, I thought it was annie's pad that gives the boost? someone suggested me to get a Q701 with annie's pad without actually buying the annie.

May 20, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2,529 of 3,395
Quote:
Also, I thought it was annie's pad that gives the boost? someone suggested me to get a Q701 with annie's pad without actually buying the annie.

Yes, if you don't mind the bumps in the headband you can get Q701 + anniversary pads. Q + pads is the cheaper option. It seems that with these AKG products it all comes to which color scheme is the best for you
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,530 of 3,395
You can get the Annies for $350 at razor dog deals through the end of the month. Coupon code is razordog65th. Just ordered them myself at that price. Free shipping and no tax.

I need an amp for them. Any suggestions? Using this with the Astro Mixamp. Don't want to break the bank but don't want to skimp either. Not concerned with a DAC at all. thanks for the help!

May 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,532 of 3,395
Quote:
You can get the Annies for $350 at razor dog deals through the end of the month. Coupon code is razordog65th. Just ordered them myself at that price. Free shipping and no tax.

I need an amp for them. Any suggestions? Using this with the Astro Mixamp. Don't want to break the bank but don't want to skimp either. Not concerned with a DAC at all. thanks for the help!

It depends on what you are looking for... If you just "need an amp", a basic straighforward recommendation would be Objective2 amp, or Schiit Magni here from For sale/trade forum.

May 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,534 of 3,395
Do they scale up with a better amp than the magni? Or is it like the he400 where it improve so littlte that it's just not worth it.

May 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,535 of 3,395
Quote:
Do they scale up with a better amp than the magni? Or is it like the he400 where it improve so littlte that it's just not worth it.

I think they should be very efficient and easy-to-drive, they were created to be like that as far as I know... I hope someone else will respond as well but I personally don't think you need to spend much on amplification with them. I would definitely invest in a better DAC though

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about HE-400... K702 anniversaries could benefit from more current I think (K7xx are difficult to drive, they are similar to orthos). And a better DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back