AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,936 of 3,395
Quote:
K702 65th Anniversary Edition Pads: Part Number 5021871 - $36.84 ea pad
K702/Q701 Pads: Part Number 2458M12020 - $14.68 ea pad

Anyone else getting different price quotes from Mr. Rodiquez?

Different as in the Anniversary pads are more expensive than the regular ones?

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,938 of 3,395
Quote:
K702 65th Anniversary Edition Pads: Part Number 5021871 - $36.84 ea pad
K702/Q701 Pads: Part Number 2458M12020 - $14.68 ea pad

Anyone else getting different price quotes from Mr. Rodiquez?

The Annie pads aren't the same as the regular K702.  The Q's and K702 reg are angles pads.  The Annies are a little fuller and softer, not angled.  

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #1,939 of 3,395
Quote:
Uhh, different as in a different price for the same item.  Could be wrong but another person earlier in this thread posted that he was quoted $10.XX for each of the Q701/K702 pads.

Thanks.

Yeah, that was me. 

I don't know why mine were $10.  I guess I just get a discount for being special.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,942 of 3,395
The Annie wins on both counts. The HE400 has thin mids in comparison (had them both at the same time).

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,943 of 3,395
My Q701 pads came in today! 

Plump.  Juicy.  Delicious. 

*Snniiiiffff*  Mmm....with that brand-new-velour smell.

regular_smile .gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,944 of 3,395
Quote:
Unlike many head-fiers, I can't see myself owning more than two main headphones at once, and usually have to be one balanced one bass emphasized. So I understand not wanting to have both the HD800 and Annies. It's redundant.

Still, the Annie hits weeeell above their price, IMHO.

^^^This^^^

I find the HD800 to be so well balanced for me that I no longer the need to try any more headphones for a while.  Nor can I really justify multiple sets, I'd rather just put that money into the rig supporting the main headphone.  The Anni is certainly well balanced enough for single headphone use and a great value though I wouldn't say endgame necessarily.  

The R1 LCD-2 was my first real "flagship" headphone and I owned it for over a year but in the end I ended up dissatisfied with it's poor soundstaging and muffled highs.  Maybe the R2 version is better in this regard.  Though I'm still no longer a fan of having a neck workout whenever I want to listen to headphones (i.e. planar-magnetic weight).

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,945 of 3,395
The R2, leather version is still bad in soundstage, and the highs are pretty smooth... smoother than the Annie's highs.

HOWEVER, the vegan/leather free LCD2 is a noticeable improvement in soundstage, perceived clarity, and treble extension. It's more neutral sounding than warm compared to the leather version. The bass still hits as hard, but the sound isn't as thick and heavy as the leather variant. I think it's technically superior, but I sometimes miss that really stuffy, milky tone of the leather. Its subtle more than anything, but the difference is there.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,946 of 3,395
Quote:
The R2, leather version is still bad in soundstage, and the highs are pretty smooth... smoother than the Annie's highs.

HOWEVER, the vegan/leather free LCD2 is a noticeable improvement in soundstage, perceived clarity, and treble extension. It's more neutral sounding than warm compared to the leather version. The bass still hits as hard, but the sound isn't as thick and heavy as the leather variant. I think it's technically superior, but I sometimes miss that really stuffy, milky tone of the leather. Its subtle more than anything, but the difference is there.

I bet Audeze would sound the best with an Orpheus/Jergpad-style leather earpads with velour top. A thin layer of velour is all that's needed to break the "closed-in" seal without negatively impacting the tonality.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #1,947 of 3,395
Quote:

^^^This^^^

I find the HD800 to be so well balanced for me that I no longer the need to try any more headphones for a while.  Nor can I really justify multiple sets, I'd rather just put that money into the rig supporting the main headphone.  The Anni is certainly well balanced enough for single headphone use and a great value though I wouldn't say endgame necessarily.  

The R1 LCD-2 was my first real "flagship" headphone and I owned it for over a year but in the end I ended up dissatisfied with it's poor soundstaging and muffled highs.  Maybe the R2 version is better in this regard.  Though I'm still no longer a fan of having a neck workout whenever I want to listen to headphones (i.e. planar-magnetic weight).

Same here JWahl.  I agree.  Also for me the Annie does more things right when compared to the LCD-2.2.  The Anneis treble is not shelved like the LCD-2.2.  Now the LCD-3s treble is very good.  For me the Annie wins in the treble as well.  Just not the bass.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,948 of 3,395
Not disputing that at all. In terms of tonality and balance, the Annie does everything right. If it wasnt for that LCD2 bass, I would've kept the Annie instead.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,949 of 3,395
Quote:

Technically superior? Because of different material on the pads?... Mmmmm.  Most other people who have tried both pad types can't tell much difference at all only perhaps a little more bass.  

I have the leather pads and they are anything but "really stuffy".

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,950 of 3,395
Yes. Different pad material can alter a headphone significantly. You have J$ pads for Denon as an example. Alpha Pads for the Mad Dogs, Gel Pads for Beyers, Memory Foam for the K702 Anniversary, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back