AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,921 of 3,395
Quote:
It seems that many people rave about a headphone and then turn around and sell it within a few months. This is nothing new and I often do this too (that was years ago). Doesn't mean that they're not as good as they claimed. The real sign of a perfect headphone for me is one that I can listen to for years and not ever get rid of it. In rare cases I've had a headphone for a month and realized there are things about it I didn't like. 90% of the time I will love a headphone immediately and my opinion doesn't change much. I got tired of the DT-880, D2000 and the OLD HD-650 (slightly different sounding) after a month.

I've had the Q701 since October 2011 and the DJ100 earlier than that. K601 would have been the headphone I've owned the longest but I finally traded it away since it got zero use with the Q701 around.

Yes.  Good points for people to keep in mind. ^

I feel the same way as you do about the Q701, and I've owned and loved them for years, and have not once ever thought about selling it.  Yes, I DID just sell it finally, but ONLY because the anniversary sounds essentially identical to it (and most likely is, apart from the pads).  So it's not even like I sold the Q701 so much as changed their color scheme, headband, and added some extra pads.  That's it.

I guess I'm lucky that I found a single headphone that I like so much, and that I don't have to make tough decisions between them and another headphone.

I too feel bad when I headphone isn't getting used and is figuratively "collecting dust" - I don't let ANY of my headphones actually collect dust, except maybe the KSC35, but that's only because I need them out and accessible all the time, and I use them so much that I don't ever bother putting them away!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,923 of 3,395
Quote:
YOU LIE. BETRAYER. THE Q701 HATES YOU NOW.

NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I still have nightmares that they are lying in a dumpster somewhere, broken and forgotten!

Please forgive my betrayal Q701s!!

I like to think that I extracted their headphone "soul" out of the old Q701 shell before I sold them, and then put it back in the new Anniversary body - so they are still with me.

LOL

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,924 of 3,395
Quote:
this is pain in da ass :p i own hd650 should i go Annie or straight to he500 ? but he500 is hell expensive :O

I think the Annies are a sidegrade from the HD650.  Not better, just different.  I think if you want a clear step up from both the Annie and the HD650, the HE-500 is what you want.  You can get one for around $550 used on the FS forums.  Not much more than a full-priced Annie.  I do think that both the HD650 and the Annie are more comfortable than any Hifiman headphone.  I think people sleep on the HD650 a little bit because it has such unique voicing.   Only reason I'm considering selling mine is because with the HD800s in the house, I don't listen to any other headphone now for critical listening.  Only headphone that gets head time for me is the D2000 because it is my office headphone.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,926 of 3,395
Frag, coincidence. I'm currently re-watching Stand Alone Complex, lol! Episode 5, RIGHT NOW! XD

I wanna try the HE-500, but the graphs show a higher treble than the LCD2, which I don't want.

NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I still have nightmares that they are lying in a dumpster somewhere, broken and forgotten!

Please forgive my betrayal Q701s!!

I like to think that I extracted their headphone "soul" out of the old Q701 shell before I sold them, and then put it back in the new Anniversary body - so they are still with me.

LOL

Hahaha. That's a logical, albeit unrealistic way of thinking. :D

I do agree. In spirit. The Annie will be like the Q701 whenever you want, soon enough. :p

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,927 of 3,395
Quote:
Frag, coincidence. I'm currently re-watching Stand Alone Complex, lol! Episode 5, RIGHT NOW! XD

I wanna try the HE-500, but the graphs show a higher treble than the LCD2, which I don't want.

Nice!  One of the best series I ever watched.  Wish I had time to revisit it.

I think the HE-500's added treble compared to the LCD-2.2s allow them to be better all around headphones than the LCD-2.2.  Not better overall, just better for people who need a little bit of everything from their headphones.  

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,928 of 3,395
True that. That's precisely why I think my vegan LCD2 is technically a better headphone than the leather LCD2 I demoed a few weeks ago. The added treble, made them more balanced, airy, and neutral, and less specialized in warmth, smoothness. Still, the leather LCD2's voicing made them special for certain things, though weaker in others. If the pads were a very easy swap, I'd buy leather pads for the LCD2 whenever I wanted the warmer, smoother, velvety tone.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,929 of 3,395
Quote:

I feel the same way as you do about the Q701, and I've owned and loved them for years, and have not once ever thought about selling it.  Yes, I DID just sell it finally, but ONLY because the anniversary sounds essentially identical to it (and most likely is, apart from the pads).  So it's not even like I sold the Q701 so much as changed their color scheme, headband, and added some extra pads.  That's it.

I guess I'm lucky that I found a single headphone that I like so much, and that I don't have to make tough decisions between them and another headphone.

The only real headphones I'm still curious about hearing are the Fidelio X1, Sony MA900, and AT AD900X. That's pretty much it, and that's just curious - like I'd be interested to listen to them for a few minutes because I want to hear how they sound, but don't necessarily expect to keep any of them around.

Everything else I'm not that interested in because I haven't seen anybody mention much else that has a special soundstage to it.

Of course, as an AKG x70x fan and a lover of soundstage, it still seems like all roads eventually lead to the HD800.  It doesn't seem like there's any getting around that...

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,930 of 3,395
Quote:

Nice!  One of the best series I ever watched.  Wish I had time to revisit it.

I think the HE-500's added treble compared to the LCD-2.2s allow them to be better all around headphones than the LCD-2.2.  Not better overall, just better for people who need a little bit of everything from their headphones.  

*****BINGO*****

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,931 of 3,395
Where do you guys get your ear pads from? Might want to grab a set of the Q701 pads just to try them out on the Annies.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,932 of 3,395
I understand - it seems like an endless loop as mentioned earlier.  I went though the same thing with 13-pin guitars, guitar strings (trying to balance tension for fingerpicking-I had over 100 individual strings in my house at once-insane, and I eventually sold that guitar), audio interfaces, etc.

I just bought a CEntrance DACport, and I'm comparing it to my Roland interface, and they're very similar, and I'm afraid, that once again, I'll begin searching for a better DAC/AMP combo.  Agonizing.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The K702 65th Annies are noticeably lighter and more comfortable than my ATH-M50 & DT770, and more comfortable than the regular K702.

I'd like to try the DT880 Premium, HD600, ATH-AD900X, K601, K501.

Would prefer something as neutral as possible with no emphasis on bass.  Clear, detailed, articulate, not warm or cold.  Probably doesn't exist.

Oh boy...

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #1,933 of 3,395
Quote:
Where do you guys get your ear pads from? Might want to grab a set of the Q701 pads just to try them out on the Annies.

Contact Frank Rodriguez, and tell him you'd like to order a pair of AKG K702/Q701 pads, part number 2458M12020.

Cost is quite cheap - there about $10-15 per pad.

Frank Rodriguez
Customer Service Administrator
AKG /Soundcraft /Studer /Crown Microphone

Harman/Microphone/Mixer Division
8500 Balboa Blvd
Dock 15
Northridge, CA 91329
E-mail: frank.rodriguez@harman.com
Phone: 818-920-3279
fax: 818-920-3218

Users who are viewing this thread

Back