AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #197 of 3,394
I wonder how much money they would make if they offered the new headband by itself for the K701/Q701? If I was rich enough to hang on to my q701s I would buy one for sure, they got uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #198 of 3,394
Quote:
I wonder how much money they would make if they offered the new headband by itself for the K701/Q701? If I was rich enough to hang on to my q701s I would buy one for sure, they got uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Then they can't see you a K702 anniversary edition.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #199 of 3,394
I understand what you mean. I have heard this before. For example, headphones that have a bass peak will sound like all the bass sounds the same. The AIAIAI TMA-1 kind of had this quality. 

A headphone with a linear bass will represent bass notes more accurately. 
Quote:

Fails to distinguish notes in pitch. Well, they don't really fail but don't pass with flying colors either. Especially bass department is just mediocre.. The K702 Ani just made the music "sing" in comparison, for lack of a better word. 

I'm open to ideas that would explain it. There might be some kind of coloration or distortion that might even emphasize the difference between one note from the next. Can't figure how to explain why this applies to the rest of the frequency response in that particular headphone model as well.. 

Basically what I mean is the "one-note bass" phenomenon in a finer but broader scale. 

A headphone can be fast and punchy and discern bass drum hits and other low frequency information (good example: DT1350) but is, in comparison to some models, VERY monotonic. They're a poor choice for my preferred music, since it often leans on complex bass grooves and rich melodies. Think modal jazz :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #200 of 3,394
Dont you have them long enough? You posted this more than 5 hours ago!
wink.gif

THX

Quote:
It's here!!  Stay tuned for unboxing and impressions.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #201 of 3,394
Been listening to these for an hour or two. I can't really offer a clear reference to the earlier versions since I've never owned these/them. Neither have I compared these side by side with any other version. Everything's from memory for clarification. 

Two days ago I ran the Q701's through my portable system and they were definitely more similar than different to the earlier versions. They had this tizzy sound to them that seemed to make itself apparent on many recordings. These don't have that.. It was a sort of a harsh peak at some part of the frequency response.

I said it already and I can safely say it again that these do seem a lot smoother. Maybe that slight 2-3k would be seen a tad recessed in comparison to K701 graphs if these were measured, I don't know.. 

High's aren't harsh, everything's clear, bass is tuneful and snappy. I don't know why I've never owned any version of these since I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #202 of 3,394
Quote:
I understand what you mean. I have heard this before. For example, headphones that have a bass peak will sound like all the bass sounds the same. The AIAIAI TMA-1 kind of had this quality. 

A headphone with a linear bass will represent bass notes more accurately. 

Yes. Sometimes with certain material a bass peak can indeed make it sound more clear in this regard even, but usually fails to do so on average :) 

Linear and fast without distortion. I'd also take a gentle roll than a rise if I had to choose. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #206 of 3,394
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #208 of 3,394
Quote:
Does that mean the K701 and K702 also have memory foam?

Of course not.
In the posted video it appears like if you press down on the new version it doesn't leave an impression of your fingers etc.
That's my idea of memory foam. On my KRK it takes awhile for the foam to expand back to regular size. The XB500 is like this too.
If it doesn't take awhile for the foam to expand back to normal, then its not really "memory" foam to me. I guess people have different ideas as to what is considered memory foam.

Check the pictures from Salvatore and they do look like memory foam pads to me..

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #210 of 3,394
Check this picture out:
(looks like memory foam to me! My Q701 would definitely not do this)

This one is from Salvatore. Check out his gallery.

If that's not memory foam, then I don't know what is. Maybe an invisible man is pressing down on the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back