AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #211 of 3,394
BTW if you want these in the USA you should bug AKG on their facebook page and tell them to release them here.
Maybe they will just before Christmas!

I want a version in green with red pads! S702.
Candy Cane striped cable! OH yeah..these would fly off the shelves!

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #212 of 3,394
Quote:
If that's not memory foam, then I don't know what is. Maybe an invisible man is pressing down on the pads.

Exactly. That's also my definition of memory foam and thats why I took the photos. If I press the foam all the way down and release it it takes about 2 seconds to regain its original shape. I also feel that the foam gets softer and shapes more easily when I use the headphones a while and the pads get warmer. Maybe I should do a video of this? You should remember that Hifiguy's video was only first look straight out of box. Lets wait for the full more detailed review. I'm very interested to hear comments from hifiman since he can do some serious side-by-side comparison between these different K/Q models.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #214 of 3,394
Check this picture out:
(looks like memory foam to me! My Q701 would definitely not do this)

This one is from Salvatore. Check out his gallery.

If that's not memory foam, then I don't know what is. Maybe an invisible man is pressing down on the pads.
yep. The Q701 won't do that for sure.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #215 of 3,394
Thanks Mike? for unboxing video and while its pretty amusing, I just wonder how Anniversary pads feels on your head / skin? To me, from 3 I have right now: K701, Q701 and K702, K701 pads are the winner. They feel softer and kind of cooler / refreshing on your skin if you compare them to Q701 especially, which gives me much more warmth and can get irritating in a while. Actually, they gives you totally differ feel on skin directly, after I switched from K701 to Q701, its like from natural cotton to some cheap synthetic sh.t, sorry for my French.

How is the sound, whats the most obvious that hit your brain?

THX

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #217 of 3,394
Quote:
I am burning it in right now, but initial fitting is the anniversary version has softer pads.

Thanks HiFiGuy - didn't get a chance to properly thank you for your review and continued efforts. I don't have a way with words then thumb-texting :p  Anyway, the box opening was very informative, but there is still some mystery surrounding the type of foam used in the ear cups. I guess we could use two categories:
1. Sponge Foam - springs back into original shape
2. Memory Foam - generally more dense and takes time for impressions to recover to original shape. If these definitions make sense, we can probably get a more accurate idea of the new foam properties. still looking forward to learning you impressions in regards to bass and high freqency response.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #218 of 3,394
Interested in what the non-angled pads does to the soundstage in comparison to the other variants.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #220 of 3,394
Got mine today - ran home at lunch to catch the delivery guy.  Here are my 10 minutes worth of observations comparing my Q701 to these before I had to come back to work:

The ear pads are definitely memory foam, softer than the Q701 foam.  The cover seems to be the same material but together they make for a bit more comfortable wear.  I'm sure extended wear will confirm my first impression.

As you know the pads are not angled but I haven't had enough time to describe any differences in sound stage, etc. 

I never really had a problem with the bumps in the headband, but now that I've put on a pair that don't have them I can tell you I definitely prefer the new band.

I listened to them with the same setup as my Q701.  A laptop - Audiophilleo 2- Metrum Octave DAC - vintage Yamaha receiver.  I'll try them with an Objective 2 this weekend.

They seemed just a tad bit louder even though on paper the specs are identical.

Brand new, out of the box they seem to have a bit more bass than my Q701. I don't know if it just seemed like more because they seem louder, or if in fact they do have more.  I don't think it was because I "Wanted" them to have more.  I had a pair of K702 before and comparing those to the Q701 I was expecting less from these and am pleasantly surprised.

Was the difference dramatic?  No.  And it's too early for me to make that judgment anyway.  Right now I'd say you could probably EQ your way from a Q701 to what I heard from the anniversary edition.

More to come later this weekend.  I left them playing when I came back to work.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #221 of 3,394
Quote:
Got mine today - ran home at lunch to catch the delivery guy.  Here are my 10 minutes worth of observations comparing my Q701 to these before I had to come back to work:

The ear pads are definitely memory foam, softer than the Q701 foam.  The cover seems to be the same material but together they make for a bit more comfortable wear.  I'm sure extended wear will confirm my first impression.

As you know the pads are not angled but I haven't had enough time to describe any differences in sound stage, etc. 

I never really had a problem with the bumps in the headband, but now that I've put on a pair that don't have them I can tell you I definitely prefer the new band.

I listened to them with the same setup as my Q701.  A laptop - Audiophilleo 2- Metrum Octave DAC - vintage Yamaha receiver.  I'll try them with an Objective 2 this weekend.

They seemed a just tad bit louder even though on paper the specs are identical.

Brand new, out of the box they seem to have a bit more bass than my Q701. I don't know if it just seemed like more because they seem louder, or if in fact they do have more.  I don't think it was because I "Wanted" them to have more.  I had a pair of K702 before and comparing those to the Q701 I was expecting less from these and am pleasantly surprised.

Was the difference dramatic?  No.  And it's too early for me to make that judgment anyway.  Right now I'd say you could probably EQ your way from a Q701 to what I heard from the anniversary edition.

More to come later this weekend.  I left them playing when I came back to work.

Where in Kentucky are you located - near Cincinnati?

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #222 of 3,394
14 miles from Louisville up I-71 towards Cincinnati.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #223 of 3,394
Betting that using the pads of the anniversary on the Q701 will make them identical. Anyone tried it? Pads do alter sound signature...

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #225 of 3,394
Maybe they seemed louder because the drivers are closer to the ear as a result of memory foam compression. I wonder if these pads will be available separately? Replacement pads are very pricey though - I think $45 ea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back