AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #226 of 3,394
Quote:
Maybe they seemed louder because the drivers are closer to the ear as a result of memory foam compression. I wonder if these pads will be available separately? Replacement pads are very pricey though - I think $45 ea?

This was my feeling.  The memory foam could make them physically closer to the ear and sound louder plus just more closed/sealed/bassy in general. 

If swapping the K702 65th Aniv pads on the Q701 makes them sound nearly identical, then no need to buy the K702 65th Aniv...

popcorn.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #227 of 3,394
Nov 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #230 of 3,394
Someone could call up AKG in Austria and complain that their 65th anniversary pads ripped and they need to buy replacements
biggrin.gif

AKG will sell replacements pads right? Why buy a $500+ headphone without replacement pads available. I bet the pads will be quite pricey! $60 each maybe?

My idea is that AKG must have tweaked something to make the K702 work with flat pads. Have you tried the Q701 or K702 with K601 (flat) pads? It's not easy on the ears! I couldn't stand it. Maybe the new memory foam pads fix these issues.

I would buy this just for the memory foam and flat pads (seriously). I'll hate myself if they're less bassy (or thinner sounding in the mids) than my Q701!

No way i'm paying $500. $400 max for me. Even $450 is kind of ridiculous considering the Q701 is $250 at most places.

Sometime I want someone to compare the imaging of the 65th vs the Q701. I think the pads may play a role here despite how stupid that sounds.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #231 of 3,394
$350 on special. Nothing more. So basically about $100 more than I paid for the Q701.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #232 of 3,394
Quote:
$350 on special. Nothing more. So basically about $100 more than I paid for the Q701.

I think only Q701 fanboys (like me) would be willing to go as high as $400
biggrin.gif
It is after all my #2 favorite headphone I've ever owned.

I honestly think the only way to improve the Q701 (for me only) is to add those memory foam pads, remove bumps and use non-angled pads. Retaining a similar sound of course. If the 65th really has more bass, then I don't know if it would make it better or worse. Maybe they can squeeze some more sub-bass presence from the Q701!

I don't want my precious Q701 turning into an HD-650.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #234 of 3,394
Lol, I mean thats how much I'd spend for them.

Anything more is HE-400 territory...

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #235 of 3,394
Quote:
The memory foam could make them physically closer to the ear and sound louder plus just more closed/sealed/bassy in general.

I think this could be the case here. The drivers do come quite close to my ears and I get very nice seal. Having said that, I still want to believe there are differences in the actual sound.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #236 of 3,394
I've left these playing for about 15 hours now. A few more observations:

My ears are not good enough to tell a difference between the out of the box sound and now. I really didn't listen to them enough straight out of the box to get any kind of reference point for a comparison.

The music I played was Blue Jean Blues by ZZ Top, High Heel Sneakers by Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, and Praeludium for Small Orchestra by the Minnesota Orchestra. I'm very familiar with these songs and they represent great bluesy, clear rock with guitar and drums, a small acoustic, intimate stage, and a large auditorium with a full blown orchestra.

I believe we're getting very close to perfect here for my tastes.

Bass is just a touch more than the Q701. Just enough. With the Q I was tempted to use just a minor adjustment with EQ to put the bass where I wanted it, we're talking .8-1.2 on the JRiver EQ, but now I find I don't have any desire to mess with it. Blue Jean Blues sounds as good as I've heard it. I thought maybe I wouldn't find anything better for this song than the HE-500s I used to have, but I'm satisfied for now.

If I shut my eyes while listening to High Heel Sneakers I'd swear Buddy and Junior were sitting about five feet in front of me. Very intimate, one just to the left of center and one to the right. I've heard concerns about the AKG sound stage and imagining being somewhat artificial and too wide. Everybody has a right to their opinion but I believe most would agree with me, there's no complaints listening to this song. The tone of the acoustic guitar and harmonica is very natural and accurate. No coloring, just like I was sitting there watching them record it.

Orchestra. Wide sound stage - check. Separation of instruments - yep, check. Dynamics between soft then loud - double check. In my opinion a good recording of orchestra music is a great source for judging how a headphone handles everything you can throw at it. Yes, I know I'm starting to sound like a fan boy here but this man's opinion is the anniversary edition of the K702 comes through this test with ease. I felt like I was about 10-12 rows back and the sound was just like the orchestra was perfectly spaced out in front of me.

Now to try and answer the question of the difference between the anniversary K702 and my Q701. Right now I'd have to side with those that think the difference is in the pads. I switched the pads back and forth between both several times. Wearing the memory pads I do not believe I could tell the Q from the K in a blind test. The memory foam pads on the Q take them really, really close to the K territory. The angled pads of the Q on the K - same thing, now they sound like the 701. A couple times I thought I could still tell a difference with the memory pads on the 702 vs 701, but I kept asking myself did I really hear something or was it the "Want to hear a difference" kicking in. With the memory foam pad my one ear just barely touches the liner covering the driver. With the angled pads it does not so the spacing between the ear and the driver is different. Visually the drivers look identical between the two. I reserve the right to come back and change my opinion after more listening experience but that's where I stand on it right now.

More opinions on the AKG anniversary K702 and others I've had:

Hifiman HE-500 -- I liked the HE-500 sound. Full and lush. Maybe too much for my tastes but I can appreciate the sound and why others would prefer to the AKG sound. Comfort? AKG hands down. Build? Two different animals. One is a tank, heavy, not real refined. The other is light, nimble, attention paid to details. For $699 you can't go wrong with the HE-500 if that is the sound you prefer. $499 for the K702, even better in my opinion. Going price for the Q701 of $250-$275, outstanding.

Audio-Technica W3000ANV -- nice, very nice. Very musical, extremely enjoyable to listen to for long periods. A toss up to me on which I would pick up to listen to. Fit and finish, impeccable. Comfort, if they fit your head you are good to go. The wing arrangement seemed to work for me at first but long term it didn't seem to fit. Not uncomfortable, just didn't fit, I kept adjusting them. I paid $990 for them so price wise AKG comes out on top again.

Ultrasone ED8 -- Different. I liked them for most music, especially live rock recordings. But for other music the tone was a bit off. Female voices didn't sound quite right. I listened to years of my sister's practice on a baby grand piano and the ED 8 just didn't sound right when playing any kind of music with a piano in it. If I listened to them exclusively for a while I liked them, but then when I would go back to my Q701 I would realize how much better, to my ears, they were. Fit and finish, comfort, on a par or better than the AKGs. Price, $1100 on sale from Amazon, no comparison.

As a point of reference I listened to my Ety ER4P for years. Some would say those are cold, analytical, bass light. Maybe that's why the AKG house sound appeals so much to me because I've heard them described the same way. I could be happy with any of the headphones listed above but have sold them all. There is no absolute right choice. When the funds come available I'm looking forward to trying a few others, but I think I'll always have a pair of AKGs in the mix and right now those will be the anniversary model. Look for my Q701 to be up for sale soon.

Hope all of this helps someone in their decision making process.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #237 of 3,394
Quote:
Now to try and answer the question of the difference between the anniversary K702 and my Q701. Right now I'd have to side with those that think the difference is in the pads. I switched the pads back and forth between both several times. Wearing the memory pads I do not believe I could tell the Q from the K in a blind test. The memory foam pads on the Q take them really, really close to the K territory. The angled pads of the Q on the K - same thing, now they sound like the 701. A couple times I thought I could still tell a difference with the memory pads on the 702 vs 701, but I kept asking myself did I really hear something or was it the "Want to hear a difference" kicking in. With the memory foam pad my one ear just barely touches the liner covering the driver. With the angled pads it does not so the spacing between the ear and the driver is different. Visually the drivers look identical between the two. I reserve the right to come back and change my opinion after more listening experience but that's where I stand on it right now.

Thanks!  This paragraph is what I was looking for. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #238 of 3,394
I knew it. Still, the flat headband is something I'd spend extra on. Those headbands have been found to be incredibly hard to swap out.

I also really like the color scheme on the Anniversaries. Also, the Q701 pads could be just a little softer, so perhaps that memory foam would be more comfy.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #240 of 3,394
I wonder if some of the K702/65th drivers still have bubbles on the diaphragms 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back