AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #106 of 3,395
They are already available through the shops I posted, price very close to MSRP, but like already mentioned, its always like that in the beginning. The only draw I can speak of is the very poor marketing, but also the package that includes 1 extra pair of pads and headband without  bumps only, What?!

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #107 of 3,395
Quote:
They are already available through the shops I posted, price very close to MSRP, but like already mentioned, its always like that in the beginning. The only draw I can speak of is the very poor marketing, but also the package that includes 1 extra pair of pads and headband without  bumps only, What?!

Probably the first run, or the only run... maybe this explain the price tag

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #108 of 3,395
If there were not so many variations of the same headphone, anniversary price would not be so hard to swallow. Lets face it, those editions tend to be expensive for very little reasons or some limited cosmetic change, but in this case, this is one overpriced headband.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #109 of 3,395
Quote:
I've heard that they are using the original K702's in the new Saw film... Ouch!

How tragic for AKG since this photo shows up often in Google image searches for AKG K702 Anniversary ... If this doesn't scare people away, I don't know what would :xf_eek:

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #111 of 3,395
Quote:

How tragic for AKG since this photo shows up often in Google image searches for AKG K702 Anniversary ... If this doesn't scare people away, I don't know what would :xf_eek:

Really ouch!  Though given the pain of the first 20 minutes of wear with the rock-hard pads plus the bumps that seem to drive some people crazy, and to finish it off with the piercing treble if left un-EQ'd or tubified, It kind of makes sense...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #113 of 3,395
Quote:

biggrin.gif
 Oh well.... they'll have to put the price down now!

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #117 of 3,395
Only update I have, is the fact that I can buy them from several places now, but choose for Q701 and K702 instead, cos its cheaper to buy these two than 1 Anniversary, even with upgrade cables. 

My point is, want to see how the things go with 2 above first.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #118 of 3,395
Hey all,
This is my first post here, after i already read so much here and got tipps i thought now i could give something back,
since i have the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition for about one weeks now and was able to test them a bit.

Since you can read so much about the usual k702 i will just tell you what is new or different so far since i also have a usual k702.
Before purchasing it, i asked AKG via mail, if it is soundtechnical different than usual k702s and how long they will be available, and they replied,
that they will be sold for about 4 months and that it has a better bass reproduction and they emphasize (as you can read here) that the transducers for this version are "Pre-selected transducers for performance consistency and more accurate localization" compared to the standard k702.
And with the same settings and volume of your amp you can really hear the difference of bass very very easily.
now this guy has even more punch and is now also more useful for more music genres
even though it has an open back.
They also sound a very very little bit better in general sound, too, but maybe that is just placebo effect?! hard to say for me, but
the headphones now feel now more vivid due to the wider soundrange it has with the improved louder bass.

Besides the (in my opinion) much cooler design and color, the material and finishing looks better and much more special.
The headband has not these stupid bumps. Though i still got some hair on my head, i really dislike this on the usual k702 and it hurts after some time.
This makes the limited edition veeeery comfortable. Also it seems like the band is a little bit longer than the normal k702's, at least it really feels like this.
Furthermore the headband now gives the headphones now a direction (not symmetrical) which i find also looks cooler while wearing.
I also like the blue stitches and how the connecting points with the R- and L-buttons are recessed into the band.
you can see that here a bit.
also of course the side covers are different with this retro-style-shaped form where it says "k702"
and this new wider blue ring (which i also find quite attractive)
so there are also some different 3 shaped parts in there, not just colours ans materials which should also be considered as not too cheap.

What i did not like so much:
...is the packaging. They could have done something more exclusive for a limited edition than this
for an anniversary edition it would have been nice to have something like a wooden box (like my k1000), but okay, that is not so important than the actual thing.

So is it worth the price ?
I would say if it would not be a limited edition it is worth about 30% more than the usual k702 due to the positive ergonomic headband,
the better sound (more bass) and for me definately the best looking k702-variante of all.
so why did i pay more for it ? because it is something very special, i guess they won't produce more than 500-1000 pieces, my serialnumber is very low
and i also like collecting nice headphones.
and i think in some years it could be even more special. so i am also not planning to sell those and treat them like a little treasure and put them
right next to my k1000.

since i've read here people are looking for new pictures in the web i found these:
Here are some more pictures of it from akg (no computerrenderings anymore, real photos.)
and here is another one.
hope i could help a bit.

have a nice day,

mk-ecco

Edit: sorry i could not include the pictures directly, it did not work.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #120 of 3,395
Are you sure it has more bass impact? Somehow I doubt the sound signature would change much if at all with the anniversary edition. Thanks for your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back