AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #556 of 3,395
I felt the Q701 to be balanced, more so than the old K701 I had which had that horrible upper mid peak. The Annies will undoubtedly impress me with it's balance if it's warmer than the Q701. That really was the only thing that would have made them extremely balanced to my ears.

A 3rd party has the Annies for $409 on Amazon.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #557 of 3,395
For those interested in what I feel of the K702 Annies (first impressions)

Just got the K702 Anniversary.

Holy balls.

These are gorgeous. Prior to these, I owned the white K701 and white Q701, The finish on those was almost like a toilet white. Porcelain. The Annies though? The finish is matte, and looks AMAZING. I mean, I thought I was used to how the K/Q's looked, then I saw these... I'm blown away just looking at them.

Then I put them on my head, no sound... just... OMG. I always raved about the Steelseries Siberia and their self adjustment. Those were nearly perfect. I wish the cups were bigger on those (they were small and not deep.)

The K701 and Q701 had similar self adjustment, but for whatever reason, they were always fully extended and hella tight on my head. Then there was the bumps on the headband that were torturous. Pure torture until you wore them long enough to not mind them, but they never truly disappear.

Here comes the K702 Annies. Not only did they do away with the bumps, but the headband no longer pulls down on my head. I wonder if it's because the bumps are gone, leaving more space for just enough extension to not make them so tight. The cups clamp so lightly, I almost thought these were Audio-Technicas for a moment. They clamp just tight enough to feel secure, but it's light.

Speaking of light I mean, these babies are LIGHT. I mean, wearing the HE400 next to them is...well, they surely feel like bricks on the head next to the Annies.

HOLY COW. These ARE the most comfortable full-sized headphones I have owned, bar none. It is indeed perfection.

Comfort...10/10

These are IT.

On to the most important part...sound.

Before I start, let me state that I do NOT suffer from new toy syndrome. If I'm not impressed, I will be the first to say it. I will be quick to mention the pros and cons in a headphone's sound.

So what did I hear when I first turned on the music?

Warmth. Clarity. Openness. Refinement.

This is surely a refined Q701. Not only does it sound fuller than I remember of the Q701, but the bass. Dear god... the bass. What. The. CRAP? These have FANTASTIC bass. I will tell you right now, this is the most balanced headphone I have heard that ALSO has a satisfying amount of bass. The DT880 is also incredibly balanced with bass, but they have that treble peak. These DO NOT.

I am absolutely MINDBLOWN by the Annies. I paid $429 for these... and I will tell you all right now, that yes, it's worth it over the Q701, and I would seriously choose these over the HE-400 if I could only own one. The HE-400 is amazing, simply amazing, but the K702 Annies has this balance between fun and straight business without any glaring faults that make them so damn enticing.

This is one of those times that I can't find anything bad to say about the sound.

They really DO sound like a mix between the Q701 and HD650. It is a perfect blend. Just.... lovely.

Stay tuned.

My faves have changed...in order.

D7000
K702 Annies
HE-400
HD650
HE-4

If it's the SA-31 that makes them sound this good, I may be making a huge mistake in selling it. I have to hear it on a lesser amp.

I wanna take a moment and sincerely apologize to whomever I questioned when they said the K702 Anniversary was better than the HE-400. I'm eating my words.

Also, the pads smell GREAT. Dunno about any weird memory foam smell, but I assure you, these do not have a strange smell.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #559 of 3,395
Quote:
I felt the Q701 to be balanced, more so than the old K701 I had which had that horrible upper mid peak. The Annies will undoubtedly impress me with it's balance if it's warmer than the Q701. That really was the only thing that would have made them extremely balanced to my ears.
A 3rd party has the Annies for $409 on Amazon.

What amp did you use on the old k701.That could be why you had that peak.The akgs have never been easy to drive though and they are demanding of amplifers to sound their best.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #561 of 3,395
Mad lust I'm so excited that you like annies! I also was blown away when got my first impressions. For the price they are my favorite cans at the moment. Actually feels pretty good when others share the same feeling I've been having with these :wink:

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #562 of 3,395
Reassuring impressions, MLE.  I ordered mine before yours (I think) from a different vendor and mine haven't even shipped yet.  I was actually considering cancelling my order but now I'm feeling a little better 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I just wish they would ship already!  Your impressions only make me more impatient.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #563 of 3,395
[COLOR=000000]Would be interested to read some direct comparison between Anniversary's vs. K702 one day, taking pretty long, before somebody may do that. I still very doubting about their signature and that keeping me away from them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Also, can someone compare Anniversary's to Beyer T90 please.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]THX[/COLOR]

I have a pair T90s and have ordered the K702 Ann. I plan on doing a comparison between the T90s, T70s, T1s, K702 Ann. and the AKG k167 for kicks.

I will be running all of these through my ODAC - Burson Soloist setup.

My goal is to find the one headphone out of the bunch that I like best and return or sell the others. So far the T1s are in the lead, however the T90s are very close to them performance-wise.

More to come..

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #565 of 3,395
ooooh thanks for your impressions, been wondering what ppl think about these.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #566 of 3,395
Hifiguys review is out (see page 106): http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_051.pdf

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #567 of 3,395
I came out with page 212, thanks mate:)

Some extra things been mentioned there, total burn in hours ( not enough at all ), the DAC & AMP combo plus music been used. Not as detailed as I want to see/read.

I thought MSRP price was a little higher than USD 499.

Thanks HiFiguy

Quote:
Hifiguys review is out (see page 106): http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_051.pdf

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #568 of 3,395
I played the Annie just off my phone and it was better than anything I plugged the old K701 into. No contest.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #569 of 3,395
Yeah I guess the page is either 106 or 212 depending on your reader and viewing mode? All in all quite positive review, but I think the retail price is indeed incorrect. I think it should be 649 or 699 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back