AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #526 of 3,394
Quote:
Just placed an order. Will be here on Thursday.... very excited. I expect them to be great companions to the HE-400.

Nice, we'll have to compare our impressions since we both have the Modi/Magni.  If you still have them by then.  My 65's still haven't shipped yet.  Supposedly they are out of stock and will have to ship from manufacturer.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #528 of 3,394
Nice, we'll have to compare our impressions since we both have the Modi/Magni.  If you still have them by then.  My 65's still haven't shipped yet.  Supposedly they are out of stock and will have to ship from manufacturer.

I sold my Magni/Modi today, lol.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #529 of 3,394
I don't have a problem with memory foam, but I do have a problem with the pads not being angled like the Q701 pads. I just like the idea of angled pads, and I have stuffed behind the pads on most other headphones I have used in the past to make them angled. Other than that, I would not change a thing about the Q701, I wouldn't want any less in the treble or anymore in the bass. I find the Q701 to be perfect for my tastes, so no K702-65 for me.
Quote:
Memory foam is about the last thing I would want in a headphone pad.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #530 of 3,394
Quote:
I don't have a problem with memory foam, but I do have a problem with the pads not being angled like the Q701 pads. I just like the idea of angled pads, and I have stuffed behind the pads on most other headphones I have used in the past to make them angled. Other than that, I would not change a thing about the Q701, I wouldn't want any less in the treble or anymore in the bass. I find the Q701 to be perfect for my tastes, so no K702-65 for me.

Since these are memory foam, maybe there are creative ways to angle the pads by compressing on of the sides. I don't know what techniques would work, but could be something worth investigating. I agree - if you are completely content with the Q, better off sticking with it. Personally, I was seeking some tweaks for the bottom end and I believe they delivered. For others, the new pads and headband were probably desired as well.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #531 of 3,394
What else do you think changed from the Q701 to the Anniv.? I was wondering how the soundstage is affected. I was a huge fan of the Q's soundstage.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #532 of 3,394
Would be interested to read some direct comparison between Anniversary's vs. K702 one day, taking pretty long, before somebody may do that. I still very doubting about their signature and that keeping me away from them.

Also, can someone compare Anniversary's to Beyer T90 please.

THX

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #533 of 3,394
I could not agree more about the Q701--it is about as perfect a headphone as I can imagine.  I think I will just send back the 702-65 when it arrives.  Memory foam is not for me.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #534 of 3,394
Quote:
my Q701 has little "bumps" underneath the headband.  This is a nice feature.

Quote:
Memory foam is about the last thing I would want in a headphone pad.

Quote:
I could not agree more about the Q701--it is about as perfect a headphone as I can imagine.  I think I will just send back the 702-65 when it arrives.

I don't understand why people want to order anniversaries if they are perfectly happy how the standard editions or the other Q/K70Xs sound? Curiosity, comparison or what? These cans are clearly designed for people who are not perfectly happy with the standards. There are people who have issues with the headband design or the sound signature or both. And the memory foam pads are very nice... they don't even smell if you remember to wash behind your ears :wink:

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #535 of 3,394
Quote:
What else do you think changed from the Q701 to the Anniv.? I was wondering how the soundstage is affected. I was a huge fan of the Q's soundstage.

When I compared anniversaries to K701s I didn't notice big differences in the sound stage. The sound stage is one of the main reasons I've been buying AKG products. Even the closed K550s sound very airy and open. The warmer signature of anniversaries might, however, give the feel of slightly supressed sound stage as compared to the other K/Q models?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #536 of 3,394
Quote:

I don't understand why people want to order anniversaries if they are perfectly happy how the standard editions or the other Q/K70Xs sound? Curiosity, comparison or what? These cans are clearly designed for people who are not perfectly happy with the standards. There are people who have issues with the headband design or the sound signature or both. And the memory foam pads are very nice... they don't even smell if you remember to wash behind your ears :wink:

Maybe they just want to perfect the perfection.
k701smile.gif
one day I would like to compare all of the KQ models on my Phonitor. But for now... I'm guilty, I'm happy with the K-702.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #537 of 3,394
O.k., at least now we know that they are on pair with other K models, regarding the soundstage I mean, thanks man.

Quote:
When I compared anniversaries to K701s I didn't notice big differences in the sound stage. The sound stage is one of the main reasons I've been buying AKG products. Even the closed K550s sound very airy and open. The warmer signature of anniversaries might, however, give the feel of slightly supressed sound stage as compared to the other K/Q models?

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #538 of 3,394
That was my only main worry. As long as the soundstage is relatively the same, as well as the mids not being pushed back, I'm good. The Q701 was one of the most balanced headphones I have ever heard, and all I wanted from it was slightly more bass and a better headband. The Anniversary seems to have fixed both my issues (even though the bumps didn't really bother me much).

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #539 of 3,394
Quote:
That was my only main worry. As long as the soundstage is relatively the same, as well as the mids not being pushed back, I'm good. The Q701 was one of the most balanced headphones I have ever heard, and all I wanted from it was slightly more bass and a better headband. The Anniversary seems to have fixed both my issues (even though the bumps didn't really bother me much).

The sound stage should be relatively same. Don't remember there to be any significant differences in the mids either (this being 65 vs K701). The mids, however, might feel pushed back because of the increased bass. It is also possible that the warmer signature smudges some low frequencies (especially before proper burn in). When I compared anniversaries against HD650s the mids were definitely the area where I found the most striking differences. Anniversaries have brighter mids which could be the main reason why they also feel airier.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #540 of 3,394
I absolutely love the 650's mids but wanted more airiness and soundstage. If the Annies can come somewhat close to the 650's mids with more air, I will be quite happy. I will find out soon enough. I should be getting the package hopefully within the next 12 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back