AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Oct 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,141 of 1,737
Well this just throws a spanner in the works.
It appears to be identical to K140 drivers... a single dot.

At this point I can only guess that the original K240 sextett, K141 and K140 share identical drivers.

If this is true, it goes to show how important implementation is, since K140 is audibly mushier sounding than the other two.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,142 of 1,737
Yeah, definitely, although the overall K140 signature was the same from stock form to the K240 shell impementation, the sound was improved in terms of body and bass response. Those passive drivers really are nice! Thanks again for taking the time to look at the drivers!

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,143 of 1,737
Thanks for the pictures GREQ. A lot of the older uploaded images have now disappeared from the net, image hosting sites have removed a lot of uploads (due to age or infrequent views etc.)

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,144 of 1,737

Forgive me as I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I have a set of 240 sextett that have a blown driver (see pic, red driver). I am having a hard time finding a single driver I can use to match my existing. Do any of the other AKG models of that time period use the same driver? I have seen comparisons stating that the 140, 141, and 240 monitors are the same, then others state they are not. Does anyone know for sure? What would my best options be to fine a single, or pair if necessary, of replacement drivers which are the same or very close. Thanks in advance guys!

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,145 of 1,737

Forgive me as I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I have a set of 240 sextett that have a blown driver (see pic, red driver). I am having a hard time finding a single driver I can use to match my existing. Do any of the other AKG models of that time period use the same driver? I have seen comparisons stating that the 140, 141, and 240 monitors are the same, then others state they are not. Does anyone know for sure? What would my best options be to fine a single, or pair if necessary, of replacement drivers which are the same or very close. Thanks in advance guys!

Could you take it out of it's grey sleeve and see how many dots are on the diaphragm?
Aside from colour, this is one of the only ways of telling these drivers apart. (Reds usually have 5 dots.)

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,147 of 1,737

It appears there are 6, 1 in the center and 5 around it. Thank you for helping!

Ok, then I think I've got a replacement for you.
Send me a private message and let's see if we can sort something out.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,148 of 1,737
Im pretty new to the Sextett club...bought a pair of MP about a month ago,after I had bought a K340.....

at first I was afraid they would be redundant,but theyre totally different sounding headphones,and the K240 IMO is vastly superior.In fact I like em so much I just bought a pair of EP sextetts.

Im powering them with a late 70s Sansui 881 receiver and it really is a unique listening experience.

One more thing I might add,sextetts are AMAZING for guitar oriented metal!!!!!

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,149 of 1,737
  I changed my attitude regarding the Sextett and picked up a pair of the LP's after months of not being entirely sold on the K240M and bass-modding my Q701. I am probably still in the honeymoon phase with these however I am jumping between rebuild/refurbish these Sextett's and sell everything else, and rebuild/refurbish these Sextett's, and maaybe keep the K701. 

Had a funny scare with a bad recording last night though, absurd distortion Norah Jones' first album, first track. Googling reveled that other people hear it too on digital/CD/SACD, speakers and headphones, etc. When I threw in my K701's and my Q701's I found the treble peak inherent in more recent AKG voicing contributed to masking this distortion. It was still there but I hadn't heard it before because I guess I wasn't listening for it. I've thrown metal, jazz and now EDM at these Sextett's and no where have they broken up like they did on Norah Jone's vocals. I'm not sure if the Sextett is a). showing it's age or b). more honest than my 701s, and hell I thought those were honest headphones. 

I shared this in the team AKG thread. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,150 of 1,737
Picked up a pair of Sextetts on eBay that I knew were going to be a little bit rough but now that I've got them in my hands it looks like it will be needing a complete restoration. Inner band is wrecked. Pads are badly in need of replacement, one of the silver cup rings has popped loose, and the ear cups feel really loose on their pivot. I saw that someone had posted a Sextett breakdown guide before, but all the pics seem to be dead links now. Can anyone point me to a good resource for taking these things apart?

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,151 of 1,737
Picked up a pair of Sextetts on eBay that I knew were going to be a little bit rough but now that I've got them in my hands it looks like it will be needing a complete restoration. Inner band is wrecked. Pads are badly in need of replacement, one of the silver cup rings has popped loose, and the ear cups feel really loose on their pivot. I saw that someone had posted a Sextett breakdown guide before, but all the pics seem to be dead links now. Can anyone point me to a good resource for taking these things apart?

If the inner band elastic is shot you can attach hair elastic ties to the outside,each end wrapped around the knobs on the sides...works wonders,and no disassembly required. 

for the pads you can use Brainwavz hybrids(or so ive been told)to replace the stock ones.

The rest I dont know how to fix
mad.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,152 of 1,737
Here's what I'm looking at:

http://imgur.com/a/W77Rz

Quote:

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,153 of 1,737

http://www.head-fi.org/t/279905/taking-the-k240-sextett-apart-step-by-step

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,155 of 1,737
If you're referring to the post by minivan, none of those images work anymore.

Oops, you're right, sorry. Didn't look at the actuel post, just did a copy/past from my bookmarks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back