1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jon l, Jun 15, 2007.
First

Back
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
79 80 81 82 83 84 85
Next

Last
  1. Armaegis
    Not a breakdown, but here's an unfinished project of mine with a bunch of disassembled pictures:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/569510/ortho-transplant-orthosex-sfi-into-akg-k240-sextett-lp-in-progress

2. mid-range
     Regarding replacing headband elastics, the exact replacement is available from Full Compass Systems, Ltd. The part number is 2040MO3030. It's called "Rubber Loop for K240." You have to use a Very thin blade knife or razor blade & remove the silver logo plates This must be done very slowly so as to not bend them. There is a screw in the center. If it is frozen, use a very tiny amount of penetrating oil. Be sure you use a screwdriver with a good bite! Once the piece is removed, you will see how to proceed. I take photos at this point in case my memory fails me. It isn't rocket science but it does take good fingers (no arthritis!), a little cussin', & a couple of prayers to get it done. They do make a world of difference in sound. You need a good fit in order to get good sound. You can verify this by just pressing the cups against your ears. A good seal is important. I go with the cheap ear pads. I like velour's & the thick block pleather's. People sling "name brand" stuff around as recommended replacement pads. They are all made in China (rebadged) and until someone can divulge what American factory produces them, I'll stick to that statement. As much as I hate buying Chinese anythings, I'd rather wait the 4 weeks to get them instead of paying a premium+ price for a name brand.

An alternative is to loosen the headband buttons a little, and slide the headband down to where it fits; then retighten the screws.
     Hope this helps.

GEK and RamblinE like this.
  3. mid-range

"Sextett" is German for "6". It refers to the six passive radiators that can be seen through the grill.

4. mid-range

Orange is early production; orange spacers behind white is mid-production; white is late production.

5. mid-range

Just paid $185.00 for an early production model from Germany. Feel better now? I recently sold a pair for $185.00 on Ebay, then found myself scrambling to get that sound back. I bought a pair of DT-880's AFTER I sold the Sextetts. I should have waited. The DT-880's are a great sounding set of headphones but the mid-range wasn't quite as clear as the Sextetts. Nothing wrong with the DT-880 mid-range. It's just a little more colored than the Sextetts.  

6. GREQ
    Actually, "sechs" is German for "6".
    "Sextett" is German for "Sextet" which is the English word for an ensemble of 6.

7. mid-range
    You're right. I misinterpreted the definition. I just wanted to point out that it related to the design and wasn't just a nick name.

8. stanleycho
    Actually, $185 is way to pricey, folk :wink: unless you have the package and the headphones look like new.

9. stanleycho
    I guess you may check the full setup of K141. To some extent, the capsules talk, whereas the overall sound design also depends on the other acoustic parts. I won't try to replace the capsules of my K141 with those on K240/240m just for experiments, for they are like new and come with good-looking package.

Hint: the official documents of AKG will tell you which models do share specific parts with each other.

10. mid-range
    New in box from Germany. Elastics were excellent too. Personally I don't get too hung up on price if the equipment is in excellent plus condition. They ain't makin' them anymore and I want that particular sound.

11. stanleycho
    I don't agree with you because I tend to use them regardless the aesthetic design.
    Yes, they're great, but not yet a piece of art.

I love the design, the pattern, and also the sound signature of them, so I'm now collecting them.
    But doesn't mean I'll have to buy them when they double the price.
    Sorry that I'm more business aligned.
    I'm not a good audiophile.

12. mid-range
    Okay.

13. Baycode
    Because of this Sextett (MP version) I have lost interest in spending extra money to full sized headphones. I have collected some of the great mid-range headphones like Beyer DT150, Fidelio X2, K7XX, T50RP but really none of them have the head time after receiving and modding this vintage beauty. I have stuffed some synthetic wool inside, re-cabled them with Mogami 2534 Neglex Quad Microphone Copper cables (they have cable entries now on the each earcup) and sticked some thin black acoustic deadeners inside of the earcups, also changed the earpad with the Brainwavz Velour Angled Memory Foam Earpads. I use them with my Darkvoice TH 336SE Tube amp (they need a very powerful source to shine). Its a great pleasure to listen with them. I believe my main reason why I am not very active on head-fi for a very long time... Thanks to anyone who made this headphone thread and who provided information in the past.

14. Storydog
    With a NOS-K 240 Sextett (MP) buyed in 2010 in original package(the orangebrown design) and with manual and original guarantee card from AKG, my interest for Headphones lived up new.
    I found them in a little store owned by a craftman master (to german Fernseh- und Rundfunktechniker-Meister) for 25 €.
    They must stayed there for Thirty years, Although the K 240 was a good selled Head phone in Germany.
    Unbelieveable but true!
    Used Sextetts at Ebay often offered on 50 to 100 €, today.

The last time I listnened with them on friday one week ago. Volker Kriegel : "Lift". on CD.
    Main Headphone today is a Beyer T 90. A great developement was since 2010, beginning with the found of the Sextett.

15. BobG55
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, I just purchased these on eBay for $162.50. AKG K240 Sextett monitoring 4. I should get them in a couple of weeks. They look to be in decent (relatively) shape. In the sales ad, the seller wrote that they are in excellent condition. I sent him a message asking if that meant technically also & he assured me that they work perfectly.

I'll be driving them with this amp : Photo on 2018-03-10 at 8.10 PM.jpg

Sansui AU-719 vintage integrated amplifier :

Power output: 90 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.015%

Damping factor: 110

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 88dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Channel separation: 65dB (MM), 70dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

I'm looking forward to the experience. I've bought & sold such headphones as : HD800 & 800 S, Focal Elear & Utopia, Grado PS1000e, HE560 & a few others which are dubbed "High-end". Up to now my favourite sounding headphones are : PS1000 (original) & HD600 - tie followed by the HD650. I hope the AKG K240 will meet my personal taste in sound. I'm not willing to invest in so called "High end" audio equipment any longer. IMHO it's not worth it & the money spent & lost isn't worth it to me anymore. I've also owned amps such as the Zana Deux S, Headamp GS-X MKII, Auralic Taurus MKII, GS-1 w/ DACT, Bryston BHA 1, Ear+ HD, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Burson Soloist, Trafomatic HeadOne & a few more.

I like this amp more than any of those. Just my opinion. I'm not spending anymore on anything except music. So, to me the K240 Sextett is a good investment & I'm pretty sure, from what I've read about them, that I'm going to enjoy their sound.

Thanks to all the members who have contributed to this thread, you've been a tremendous source of information & help.

kid vic likes this.
First

Back
68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
79 80 81 82 83 84 85
Next

Last