AIAIAI TMA-1
Feb 27, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,291 of 1,345
  So my TMA-2 arrived today I got the S3 with the S4 pads. So far I'm enjoying the sound (I should probably follow their instructions and burn them in). So far I've found in some RnB tracks the vocals although clearly separated from the instruments seem a bit recessed (it sounds kind of like a live show where if the singer has a powerful voice the lower the vocal so when the vocal climax comes your eardrums don't explode).

I was thinking of possibly getting another set of pads so I can change depending on what i'm listening too. Are there any pads which might boost the vocals a little more? Or is it a limitation of the driver? 

I would say I'm trying to save some money by asking this so I don't have to by all the earpads and then the other drivers but you all know I will most likely end up sample everything because you have to have the full set and can't just be happy with what you have. But at least in the short term I'll be spending less

Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

I just think that if taking the vocals as a reference level, boost the vocals means lower the bass and highs. Put in other words, lower the bass a little bit may give you a similar result. E4 and E5 may help. But you can try to mod the S3 to lower the bass if you don't want to spend the $ at the moment.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #1,293 of 1,345
Yeah lowering the bass a little would be what I'm after.

I might try the e5 pads (there was a mistake my post I have the e4 pads at the moment). I don't think i ant to mod the drivers just yet.

I have the e4 and e5 pads (paired with s4).
- E4 has more presence on the mid low frequencies and a deeper sound (more whoom whoom). E5 has less overall bass.
- High mids and low trebles are more pronounced in the E5, making it warmer. 
- Both are pretty equal on highs.
Also, E4 isolates better than E5.
As you have S3, E5 won't improve the sound. In fact, you could get a worse experience as S3 is already quite warm.

You chose the warmest driver. No earpad will give you clear highs, that veil on the highs will always be there.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,295 of 1,345
S3 should be TMA-1 Studio driver......:wink:
That's why mod the driver may be a more straight forward and easier to lower the bass.:D  

Yeah the s3 with the e4 is the studio setup

If you know what page the mod is on that would be handy :wink:. I'll have a look through the thread anyway.

The mids don't bother me too much as they only affect a couple of tracks and I don't do critical listening on them. They're my travel and work cans.

If i did need to mix or anything with them I can swap between these and my krk cans to make sure the levels are correct. I'm a bedroom producer for fun so its not like anyone is going to die.

I'd say these are the closest headphones I've I had to my monitors (similar sound to krk rockits) .

I'd say they're great value for money as I've been through a lot of sub 250aud headphones and the extra 50 I paid for these the difference in quality is noticeable.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,296 of 1,345
Yeah, the TMA headphone is really funny and there's a lot of things to play with the sound.

To lower the bass, you can try to take away the cushion and open up the driver plate ( remove the four screws). You will see the back side of the driver which is somewhat similar to this:

(Note that the above photo is not the driver of AIAIAI but can be a reference.)
See the four small holes at the center. You can cover it one by one with a small tape and assemble back to listen again. See which sound is better. The more holes you cover, the bass will be lesser.
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,297 of 1,345
Hey music 18 another question. Have you tried the S3 with the e1? If so how do the compare to the s3 with e5?

The reason I ask is my ears get hot with the e4 pads on hot days. I feel like the on ear would be the coolest option and since they are both micro fiber they might share a sound profile.

I looked at the configurator curves but it's always good to hear from someone who has listened to them

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #1,298 of 1,345
Just for your reference:
E1 is the TMA-1X earpad. I feel TMA-1X has the most natural sound signature among the TMA series. This earpad is one of the factor. But it is a little bit thin and some people may feel uncomfortable. Also, the isolation is not good but "cool".
L3000.gif

You're right that E5 has the same material as E1 and it's an over-the-ear version. It will not be as hot as E4 after long time wearing. This E5 should be the one as Young Guru version but Young Guru is using S4 driver. So, when using with S3, the sound will be.......unknown.
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #1,299 of 1,345
Just for your reference:
E1 is the TMA-1X earpad. I feel TMA-1X has the most natural sound signature among the TMA series. This earpad is one of the factor. But it is a little bit thin and some people may feel uncomfortable. Also, the isolation is not good but "cool".:L3000:

You're right that E5 has the same material as E1 and it's an over-the-ear version. It will not be as hot as E4 after long time wearing. This E5 should be the one as Young Guru version but Young Guru is using S4 driver. So, when using with S3, the sound will be.......unknown.:confused_face_2:

Thanks. Maybe it was someone else on the thread who bought all the parts for the tma-2 not yourself.

I have read reviews of people who have paired the guru earpad e5 with the s3 and they have said it gives a more neutral sound. I know there in more than just the material that affects the sound.

I guess i'll just give it a try and report back on the sound.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #1,300 of 1,345
Thanks. Maybe it was someone else on the thread who bought all the parts for the tma-2 not yourself.

I have read reviews of people who have paired the guru earpad e5 with the s3 and they have said it gives a more neutral sound. I know there in more than just the material that affects the sound.

I guess i'll just give it a try and report back on the sound.

Yeah! A bigger size earpad usually has a lower bass and wider sound stage.
Look forward to hear your result.
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,301 of 1,345
For anyone interested I got the E1 earpad and have had it on my s3 for about a day. This is my mini review:

Comfort
While the e1 earpad is not as comfortable as the e4  earpad I'd say that if positioned correctly they are comfortable. You get some discomfort when you take them off as your ears go back to their normal position. While wearing glasses they are harder to get into a comfortable posiiton but once you get them positioned they're fine. I've had less comfortable on ear headphones with thicker padding.

Isolation
I never listened to the TMA-1x but the isolation with the e1 and S3 speaker is fairly good, it may be due to the fact the the S3 is fully sealed. There is no wind noise, and on a reasonably busy street you don't hear the cars (Trucks and busses will come through). I also wore them on the buss and did not have any issues. THe sound was clear, there was maybe some loss in the bass but nothing that too dramatic.

Sound
Compared to the s3 with the e4 the s3 e1 combination is a more "fun" sounding headphone. The treble roll off doesn't seem to be as much. They are still far from being bright or sibilant but you get more sizzle out of high hats. The veil on the mids is much reduced and the bass response is more linear (less mid bass hump).

The fact that the driver is also closer to your ear means the S3 e1 combination seems louder, 

Overall I'd say the S3 E1 sounds like a detailed consumer headphone (A better version of my Sony MDR-1A or a better balanced beats solo 2) than a reference headphone. 

Unrelated to the mini review

Since I was ordering I also got the s4 driver to go with my e4 pads and after about 16 hours of burn in (I know I'm supposed to go 24 hours before doing critical listening) I'd agree with aiaiai classifying the combination as a good reference headphone (at least for hip-hop). I might start mixing tracks in these to get my levels correct and then moving to my monitors for instrument positioning.

Like many of you I have owned (and still own) a variety of headphones but these (along with my Sony MDR-1A which now belong to my girlfriend because "they are the most comfortable headphones she has ever tried") are some of the best cans I've ever listened to. So props to aiaiai and the TMA-2. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,302 of 1,345
Thanks to @davekojo -- the E1 is one of the few parts I do not own (yet?) as I generally prefer over-ear.

There's a new hardcase available btw:
http://aiaiai.dk/headphones/tma-2/parts/accessories/a02

Unfortunately no pictures of the interior. Guess I'll just order one and have a look...

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,303 of 1,345
Hi guys.
Headband snapped today on my tma-1 yg's :frowning2: bought them the week the edition was released! Looking to get new drivers and a headband, as my wires are fine and got a few sets of pads already. Will be getting the S03 & S04 drivers but not sure what headband? Got quite a big head and found my yg clamped abit too much, to the point where the pad on the band was barely touching my head. Would like to hear your oppinions on the different styles of band? Wouldnt mind saving a bit of dough if i can as well :p.

Also do you guys use amps to drive these? If so which amps??

May 2, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,305 of 1,345
Hey guys,

I want to donate my AIAIAI TMA-2 to my girlfriend, but she doesn't like to stock cable and doesn't like any replacement on their official website. She wants something flashy and colorful, yet light (so no coiled monster).

I believe it is a standard 3.5mm male <--> 3.5mm cable headphone, but in the original's AIAIAI cable, there is that  "click" mechanism implemented, so I am afraid anything not bought directly from the AIAIAI's website will not fit.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with buying non-official cables for AIAIAI TMA-2?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back