AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #4,306 of 5,483
Please come back to us when the option for 4.4mm cable is available. Thanks.
You can get such cable from custom cable builders. For them - 2.5mm or 4.4mm makes no difference (other than cost delta of the connector, if there is such difference).

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #4,307 of 5,483
Ya, I think overall the black pads are right for me, which is too bad since my ears graze them. Some songs have elements that are still fatiguing and would be better w/ the medium dampening--usually just certain electronic claps or cymbals, not a big deal. I haven't noticed an issue on any real instruments. These cans are growing on me a lot. Bass not as impactful as I'd like, but it just sounds *right.* Synth just oozes goodness on AFO. Instruments sound wonderful and natural, and vocals have rich presence. I really appreciate the mids on these. Classical is ofc just serviceable, but I stick w/ piano 99% of the time anyway which sounds fine, and I think jazz holds up much better than others have let on.

The way the organ sang on this track melted my face.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #4,308 of 5,483
While I am not Dan, I will try to answer (knowing how busy Dan is :wink:):
The 2.5mm plug is very fragile - many people reported those plugs literally snapped... The 4.4mm plug is much more robust.
So, basically, main difference is mechanics. Not sound quality.

Hope that helps :)
While I agree that 4.4mm is more robust 2.5mm, I have never seen or experience any 2.5mm plug snapped, bend, break etc. It takes a lot to break a 2.5mm plug. What it does is make a DAP smaller/slimmer which is difficult to do if you have to support a 4.4mm socket.

To me it's just people following what's new. If 2.5mm is so bad. It should be dead by now.

Jun 10, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #4,309 of 5,483
I use a 2.5 all the time and all it takes is one cable snag on a drawer nob in my kitchen to kill a 2.5, I’ve never lost a 3.5 they just pop out but the 2.5 has bent twice. As a vendor the 2.5 are way more likely to come in for repair. It’s fragile to be ideal for portable use. But it’s likely here to stay as it’s in so many DAPs...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 10, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4,310 of 5,483
While I agree that 4.4mm is more robust 2.5mm, I have never seen or experience any 2.5mm plug snapped, bend, break etc. It takes a lot to break a 2.5mm plug. What it does is make a DAP smaller/slimmer which is difficult to do if you have to support a 4.4mm socket.

To me it's just people following what's new. If 2.5mm is so bad. It should be dead by now.
2.5mm is fragile depending on how the plug socket is done. Those Hifimans with only the end of the metal portion inside is susptable to bending like MrSpeakers mentioned if somehow gets bumped, dropped, and any other motions that will strike that spot. The force can damage the socket and the connector.

There are others where the body of the connector partially slides inside the larger radius socket, those are pretty stable despite being 2.5mm.

So yeah, sockets/connector design is important for longevity as you never know what will happen to the headphone, and chances are, the more you use for portable use, much much greater chances something will happen.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,311 of 5,483
I myself use the tuning kits every day, I find AEON open works great for me for jazz or classical with no damping, for rock with black felt or 1 notch white, and for Electronica (or bright systems), 1 or 2 notch white.

Hello Dan, I'm a recent owner of the AEON Closed and would like to know your opinion about which pads / no damping work best for which music genres. Or what you had mentioned on this quote also applies for the Closed? Thanks.

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #4,312 of 5,483
Hello Dan, I'm a recent owner of the AEON Closed and would like to know your opinion about which pads / no damping work best for which music genres. Or what you had mentioned on this quote also applies for the Closed? Thanks.

I've generally come to using the 1 notch white as my go to for most genres. I like the black foam with classical and jazz.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #4,314 of 5,483
Thanks Dan! So is there any circumstance where you would recommend using the Closed without any damping at all?

I use the Closed without damping as the norm. I recently lost ONE black foam piece so I've ordered a whole new Tuning Kit from Mr Speakers, mainly to have access to all the tuning possibilities as well, but until that arrives I don't even have the option of tuning, but I'm pretty okay with that.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4,316 of 5,483
I use no tuning when I’ve got darker source or electronics, or for really audiophile recently recorsings...

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #4,318 of 5,483
Just thought I'd pop in to plug this headphone a little. I've been using it as my daily driver for quite a while now. I use it at work every day with a Chord Mojo and listen for hours a day. I can't imagine a better headphone for the job. Great passive noise isolation, ZERO comfort issues, and an amazingly balanced and transparent sound signature that makes it great for anything that I'm the mood to listen to. I haul it back and forth to work every day too and the light weight helps my poor back.

And a little secret: I actually made a playlist of "bad" music to listen to at work. With the AEON and Mojo combo, if the music is too good it pulls my focus away from what I'm doing and make it hard to work. It's all head-boppy pop music that doesn't interest me at all beyond the beat and the tempo keeping me going. I'd never have thought that having a headphone that's too good would be a worry of mine.

I've owned a lot of great headphones and this is easily my favorite one I've ever owned. I like this one better than the open AEON and I honestly think it's the best headphone Dan's ever made, bang for the buck. I'm surprised there isn't more chatter in here about it.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,319 of 5,483
[QUOTE="Stillhart, post: 14333285, member: 390380"]bang for the buck. I'm surprised there isn't more chatter in here about it.[/QUOTE]

Talking about banging your buck, The He400i is an absolute fraction for £180 (too cheap for some!!!)

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #4,320 of 5,483
Just thought I'd pop in to plug this headphone a little. I've been using it as my daily driver for quite a while now. I use it at work every day with a Chord Mojo and listen for hours a day. I can't imagine a better headphone for the job. Great passive noise isolation, ZERO comfort issues, and an amazingly balanced and transparent sound signature that makes it great for anything that I'm the mood to listen to. I haul it back and forth to work every day too and the light weight helps my poor back.

And a little secret: I actually made a playlist of "bad" music to listen to at work. With the AEON and Mojo combo, if the music is too good it pulls my focus away from what I'm doing and make it hard to work. It's all head-boppy pop music that doesn't interest me at all beyond the beat and the tempo keeping me going. I'd never have thought that having a headphone that's too good would be a worry of mine.

I've owned a lot of great headphones and this is easily my favorite one I've ever owned. I like this one better than the open AEON and I honestly think it's the best headphone Dan's ever made, bang for the buck. I'm surprised there isn't more chatter in here about it.

What do you like better about the closed Aeon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back