AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,476 of 5,483
Reading this thread, I think this may be a sealing issue as the pads, here is how they look like:

D4EEBF49-6ECF-46A2-89E1-E3D850E9EAE1.jpeg

I tried to put the pads back aligned
I was looking at photos in this thread (I have the Aeons as well) and noticed this one. You're seeing the fundamental flaw in the Aeon pads where the foam under the leather rolls away from the leather. You can see it's pretty bad on your pads, the sharp seam isn't lined up with the stitching. Dan has a video on how to try to roll the foam back into place under the leather, but be aware this can be a permanent issue. This issue affects the Dekoni replacement pads as well which makes me wonder if Dan coordinated with Dekoni and introduced the same fatal flaw.

This is a warranty issue and you should get free pads from Dan if you aren't able to roll the foam back into place or if it get worse.

I've had 3 Aeon pads (one from Dekoni) and it's affected all 3 pairs, usually within a week of getting the pads. Many other forum members report this problem with their Aeons too. It doesn't bother some people, but be aware this reduces seal and comfort. I also personally think it's unacceptable to sell headphones at a luxury price point with pads that degrade so quickly. For this reason I don't recommend any model of Aeons anymore. I want to raise awareness that this is a fundamental flaw in the pads and it's a warranty issue so folks at least know they don't have to pay a whopping $60 if they want to replace the pads.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #5,477 of 5,483
I was looking at photos in this thread (I have the Aeons as well) and noticed this one. You're seeing the fundamental flaw in the Aeon pads where the foam under the leather rolls away from the leather. You can see it's pretty bad on your pads, the sharp seam isn't lined up with the stitching. Dan has a video on how to try to roll the foam back into place under the leather, but be aware this can be a permanent issue. This issue affects the Dekoni replacement pads as well which makes me wonder if Dan coordinated with Dekoni and introduced the same fatal flaw.

This is a warranty issue and you should get free pads from Dan if you aren't able to roll the foam back into place or if it get worse.
I wasn’t aware this was a warranty issue. Purchased a new pair of pads after being unhappy with the foam misalignment of one of my pads. Same thing happened within a week of getting the new pads. Wasted $60.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #5,478 of 5,483
I wasn’t aware this was a warranty issue. Purchased a new pair of pads after being unhappy with the foam misalignment of one of my pads. Same thing happened within a week of getting the new pads. Wasted $60.
I would try contacting DCA for a refund + free pads shipped to you. At this pricepoint, this fundamental pad defect is unacceptable. Sadly, all Aeons pads across all models seem to have this problem, so the new pads will probably start warping within a week. Hopefully you can at least get your money back.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #5,480 of 5,483
Hello.
Are there alternative pads that are perhaps of better quality and do not have this problem?
So far I have only seen Dekoni and the original ones.

Fortunately, I don't have this problem with mine, but it creaks a bit, which I can live with.
It seems like all Aeon pads have this problem, across all models of the Aeon and the Dekoni replacement pads. The Dekoni ones feel like a scam because they ask you to return the defective pads (why? probably a deterrent) and won't pay for shipping when you do, so you have to eat the shipping cost.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #5,481 of 5,483
Hifiman EF400 and MrSpeaker Aeon Flow not bad...

IMG_20220805_185340.jpg
hundnb,
Would love for you to elaborate. Am considering the EF400 and was hoping it might be an upgrade from my iFi iDSD BL (similarly priced, but way different form factor). So, "not bad" or "quite good"? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #5,482 of 5,483

I've had 3 Aeon pads (one from Dekoni) and it's affected all 3 pairs, usually within a week of getting the pads. Many other forum members report this problem with their Aeons too. It doesn't bother some people, but be aware this reduces seal and comfort. I also personally think it's unacceptable to sell headphones at a luxury price point with pads that degrade so quickly. For this reason I don't recommend any model of Aeons anymore. I want to raise awareness that this is a fundamental flaw in the pads and it's a warranty issue so folks at least know they don't have to pay a whopping $60 if they want to replace the pads.
I've ordered handmade (VesperAudio) earpads and they have got a similar issue after a few weeks, though to a lesser degree than the original earpads (from 1st gen Aeon). I'm sad to hear Dekoni have the same issue as I was ready to order them this time. I'm considering ordering VesperAudio once again (due to another issue—I've specifically ordered pleather version and they have started flaking, same as the original earpads after 1.5 years). Before I've made the first order they've warned me that such thick earpads (and I've ordered extra-thick for more space to prevent ear itching) with an unusual shape and very soft memory foam will never hold their perfect shape. They've suggested using a more firm acoustic foam instead.
UPDATE from 11th Feb 2023: I've received a new pair of VesperAudio earpads made with firm acoustic foam and real leather. They're perfect! Very comfortable and the headphones sound great with them. The acoustic foam doesn't compress as much (just enough to provide a proper seal) and I believe this foam will not roll like the memory foam did. They also feel a bit lighter and less dense—perhaps the noise blocking has reduced just a bit (still very good). Hopefully, these are more long-lasting. BTW, my order was completed in 3 weeks + shipping.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #5,483 of 5,483
Whenever I plug my Aeon Closed into my Schiit Asgard 3 amp I'm amazed at the synergy between the two. The Asgard seems to tame the treble of the Aeon Closed so that it sounds just right to me. The only additional thing I need to do is add some bass using my Lokius EQ and wonderful sound is ready to be enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back