AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 25, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,291 of 5,483
Appreciate the insights.
Being a mixer producer etc. The Aeon (open & closed) are very much on my radar to be considered for studio use.
I've heard it said that the closed "might" have a bit more of a neutral-ish signature?

It so pains me to have to sell the LCD X's that are glorious in the bottom and mids but,
I need the $ from them for family stuff and, hope to buy a more modestly priced (& hopefully more balanced top to bottom) pair for mixing duties, that don't require too fancy of an amp.

-
As you know, no matter what you use to mix and master and monitor, you have to learn how to hear what your "replay" equipment is doing wrong and doing right, based on how you hear it acoustically..... And, hearing , in a room, is doubling your speakers.... What i mean is, your speakers produce sound as sound relay boxes, and then your room, is one big speaker box that is relaying sound also......so, its as if you have , sound IN sound, going on.
This is the downside of using speakers in a room to monitor, but it is the upside of using headphones on you head., as if they are sealed nicely, you are not dealing with a room that is playing your speakers, while your speakers are playing.
So, you are actually dialing in the sound , minus one level of speaker box, when you dont use speakers in a room, and just use Headphones on your head.
I find that when EQ'ing with Aeons, it worked out fine after i learned that they are going to cause you to dial up the 50-250, when you dont need as much, as their bass is beautiful but very neutral.
Thus, when you learn them, then you know what is going on, and they are much better then descent to use when polishing mixes.
Im hearing that the Ether Closed, should be, a great "headphone mix" headphone.,but, ive no personal or practical experience with them to know.

Dan, if you are listening, can you ship me your "shop demo" set of Ether C's, so that i can let the world of musicians, mixers, producers, and Mastering Pros, know for certain, if we are finally free from our studio monitors.......

So, anyway, ...
i can't love Audeze, only because they have a severe case of the "too warms".
The Fostex Th-500RPs, are just like Audeze...........so warm.... too warm.......way too warm.
I do use Sine's, but they are a wholly different (brighter Top) sonic trip then any other headphone, that i know of, that Audeze has designed.

May 27, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,293 of 5,483
Like my AFC as much as day they were first used. Owned the Ether C's and liked, but sold because after hearing AFC, thought "these are good enough for me." Excellent with music genres I listen to. Wish would be 3/4 scale version of Aeon's. Most "serious" over-ear headphones overwhelm my pin head. Another wish would be a truly portable folding over-ear headphone from Dan.
-
Isnt it the best case scenario when "good enough", is fantastic?.... = Aeon C.s
Tyll had the same reaction.....
We are in such a golden age of strap on's........ as the "sonic difference" betwixt a $500 "mid" and a $1800 "high end", ....is, well... no longer quite as much about needful spending to purchase that "audiophile' soundstage, detail retrieval, resolution, and "airy trebles", as it was even 3 yrs ago.
The "bottom end" is closing in on the "high end" regarding headphone sound quality.
Recently i bought Senn HD660S, and as compared to the 600 and 650, i can hear that Senn dialed them in...
They are fine headphones.
But when you compare them , and maybe this is not fair, to a P-Mag like the Aeon C's, then, you are entering a completely different world regarding sound experience.

May 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,294 of 5,483
f12d01f97d13207582d6962651aee4e5.jpg

May 29, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,295 of 5,483
Left side stopped playing (100% cable)
Are there any other companies(DIY) cables or their aeon cable is more than enough to replace the old one.
I could cut the old one and solder new plug, but shipping to UK is not worth it I think with my skills.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #4,296 of 5,483
Are there any other companies(DIY) cables or their aeon cable is more than enough to replace the old one.
I could cut the old one and solder new plug, but shipping to UK is not worth it I think with my skills.

Sorry to hear that, we can get a new cable to the UK with Mark's next shipment, it's no problem and you're under warranty. Just email Mark (Electromod in our store locator) or email info@mrspeakers.com and we'll take care of you.

If you do want alternate cables, you can try Forza in the EU, WyWires, Moon Audio, and a number of other vendors.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 29, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #4,297 of 5,483

Sorry to hear that, we can get a new cable to the UK with Mark's next shipment, it's no problem and you're under warranty. Just email Mark (Electromod in our store locator) or email info@mrspeakers.com and we'll take care of you.

If you do want alternate cables, you can try Forza in the EU, WyWires, Moon Audio, and a number of other vendors.
I have been happy with Oidio cables (https://oidiosound.co.uk), namely the shorter one I go for my Æon Flow Closed

May 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #4,298 of 5,483
In which countries are the tuning pads being sold?

May 30, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #4,299 of 5,483

Can you offer 4.4mm pentaconn cable to run with my Sony 1Z?

May 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #4,300 of 5,483
In which countries are the tuning pads being sold?

We ship globally, only a few distributors stock them so it's probably better to go direct, in most cases. We have implemented new shipping software to really get the postal rates down on small packages.

Can you offer 4.4mm pentaconn cable to run with my Sony 1Z?

We will look into this. There seems to be a little more demand now. It's a much better plug than the 2.5mm!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #4,301 of 5,483
We ship globally, only a few distributors stock them so it's probably better to go direct, in most cases. We have implemented new shipping software to really get the postal rates down on small packages.

We will look into this. There seems to be a little more demand now. It's a much better plug than the 2.5mm!
Hello Dan. Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why 4.4 mm is better than 2.5 mm?

Thanks!

May 31, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #4,302 of 5,483
Hello Dan. Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why 4.4 mm is better than 2.5 mm?

Thanks!
While I am not Dan, I will try to answer (knowing how busy Dan is :wink:):
The 2.5mm plug is very fragile - many people reported those plugs literally snapped... The 4.4mm plug is much more robust.
So, basically, main difference is mechanics. Not sound quality.

Hope that helps :)

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #4,304 of 5,483
Hi everyone,

Any body tried WireWorld cable for AEON-C ?

They just replay and they can do it for " 4-pin male Hirose " and I order Nano-Eclipse Headphone for 250$

There cables will engineered and I hope they will improve compare to stock :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #4,305 of 5,483
While I am not Dan, I will try to answer (knowing how busy Dan is :wink:):
The 2.5mm plug is very fragile - many people reported those plugs literally snapped... The 4.4mm plug is much more robust.
So, basically, main difference is mechanics. Not sound quality.

Hope that helps :)

Please come back to us when the option for 4.4mm cable is available. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back