AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #4,322 of 5,483
Just thought I'd pop in to plug this headphone a little. I've been using it as my daily driver for quite a while now. I use it at work every day with a Chord Mojo and listen for hours a day. I can't imagine a better headphone for the job. Great passive noise isolation, ZERO comfort issues, and an amazingly balanced and transparent sound signature that makes it great for anything that I'm the mood to listen to. I haul it back and forth to work every day too and the light weight helps my poor back.

I'll offer a counter-point for anyone looking for an alternative view. First, I love the company, love their service, and love the design of the AFC - probably the most comfortable, most elegantly designed headphone I've used, period, and so there I fully agree - this is a great headphone, and maybe the best value out there for a specific sound profile. This is a company and these are products that should be on everyone's shortlist to at least try.

That said, sound-wise, my advice with the AFC is to be careful and know what you're looking for. If you want ultra detail / HD800 type of sound, this is a great product for that ... but if you're looking for a "fun" headphone, the AFC is likely not for you.

I also used the mojo-AFC combo, and then tried various desktop dacs / amps, eventually using the eitr/mimby -> Jot combo (it's important to add the jot is known for being a bit bright). I'm no expert, but on a lot of music I found the AFC to be not the right thing - it's the opposite of a fun headphone if that's your speed (e.g., the CF cascade, ZMF Atticus, or B&W P7). If you're not into the fun sound, and want the analytical "neutral" or treble / detail sound, this might be perfect.

Music examples are older pop recordings like REM, B-52s, etc - on the AFC they sound like they're completely missing the bass / mid-bass (currawong has mentioned this as well on his videos when switching over to the AFC from fun sounding cans as well) - the toe-tapping and head bouncing will be missing. Other music like Erykah Badu's On and On has deep rumbly bass which overwhelms most fun headphones, but the AFC handles well, however there's also a guiro or calves knock instrument sound that's downright painful on the AFC.

If you're looking for a closed-back fun sound, then the Cascades (=$), the Fostex TH-x00 (-$), or the ZMF Atticus (+$) is probably more your thing - but if you're looking for a closed-back with tons of detail, the AFC will likely be an excellent choice.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #4,323 of 5,483
Talking about banging your buck, The He400i is an absolute fraction for £180 (too cheap for some!!!)

While the 400i is a perfectly fine headphone for the price, its sound quality (not to mention build quality) is a noticeable step down. I don't think they're comparable at all.

What do you like better about the closed Aeon?

I like the tonal balance a little more, though that's a bit nitpicky since they're actually pretty similar. Mostly, I just think the Open one doesn't sound very open. IMHO if you're not getting the benefits of the open staging and air, you might as well go with the closed (or a different open headphone)... especially when it's a pretty "open" sounding closed headphone.

Basically, I don't dislike the open, but I don't feel like it does its job as well as the closed does.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the AEON is a much more balanced, neutral, transparent sound than the super bassy headphones you listed. I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're looking for something with crazy bass. The ZMF Omni/Ori is in the same price range as the Aeon and much better if kick-ass bass is your overriding priority.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,324 of 5,483
Yes, the AEON is a much more balanced, neutral, transparent sound than the super bassy headphones you listed. I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're looking for something with crazy bass. The ZMF Omni/Ori is in the same price range as the Aeon and much better if kick-ass bass is your overriding priority.

I wouldn't say "crazy bass", more just "bass".

As a comparison, the Senn HD600s have much more bass than the AFC to my ear out of any setup, but including the mojo or mimby/Jot. The HD600, while open, are my "neutral" cans of choice as they have what I'd consider the bass that's there, however they can lack some of the detail the AFC have. Again, though, the AFC are MUCH more comfortable, and can be more detailed - nevertheless, the HD600 is much more "neutral" to my ear, and with more bass response than the AFC.

Compared to the HD600, the AFC are bass-lite, at least on the 2 setups I spent a few weeks with them - so that's my caution to anyone based on my experience: if the HD600s have too little bass for you, the AFCs will likely not be the right choice.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #4,325 of 5,483

As a comparison, the Senn HD600s have much more bass to my ear out of any setup, but including the mojo or mimby/Jot, than the AFC. The HD600, while open, are my "neutral" cans of choice as they have what I'd consider the bass that's there, however they can lack some of the detail the AFC have.

Compared to the HD600, the AFC are bass-lite, at least on the 2 setups I spent a few weeks with them - so that's my caution to anyone based on my experience: if the HD600s have too little bass for you, the AFCs will likely not be the right choice.

To each his own, I'm not trying to say you're wrong. Comparatively speaking, the AEON has less mid bass than those you mentioned. But the ZMF and the TH-XXX are two of the bassier headphones you can buy; there's not much that won't sound "bass light" compared to them so they're an odd comparison to pick IMHO.

As to the HD600, I haven't heard that in ages so I can't say how it compares to my ears. I have owned the HD650 and I know the 600 and 650 are similar; based on that, I would say that if that is what you consider neutral, then that would explain why you think the AEON is bass light.

I guess the thing that is bugging me about your post is the "caution" part of it. For a lot of us, finding a headphone that's this well balanced across the frequency range is something we have to pay a lot of money for. I think one of the biggest strengths of the AEON is providing the sound it does at a reasonable price. In other words, I don't feel like it deserves a "warning" that these are well balanced; in my mind, this sound is pretty high end at a mid-range price.

Again, though, to each their own. Bass it up if that's your thing!

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #4,326 of 5,483

As a comparison, the Senn HD600s have much more bass than the AFC to my ear out of any setup, but including the mojo or mimby/Jot. The HD600, while open, are my "neutral" cans of choice as they have what I'd consider the bass that's there, however they can lack some of the detail the AFC have. Again, though, the AFC are MUCH more comfortable, and can be more detailed - nevertheless, the HD600 is much more "neutral" to my ear, and with more bass response than the AFC.

I believe it has also to do with one's hearing ability. Some people do not hear low (or high) frequencies due to hearing loss, so they need some boost in there.

Some people claim EFC is bass light, but in my setup they have plenty of them and not lacking at all.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #4,327 of 5,483
I guess the thing that is bugging me about your post is the "caution" part of it. For a lot of us, finding a headphone that's this well balanced across the frequency range is something we have to pay a lot of money for. I think one of the biggest strengths of the AEON is providing the sound it does at a reasonable price. In other words, I don't feel like it deserves a "warning" that these are well balanced; in my mind, this sound is pretty high end at a mid-range price.

That's a great point - to clarify, there are many well-deserved great reviews of the AFC, and for people new to the game simply looking for "great headphones", they may assume there's one spectrum of "good", and so time to dive in.

Well ... as people with more experience might know, there are a few different - and distinct - headphone sound profiles corresponding to differing preferences ( despite @franz12 's assertion that any preferential difference must be due to hearing loss :poop: ), and the AFC is very good at one of them, but there are other sound profiles/preferences, of course, to be great at.

So that's the warning: purely for those that share my "fun" or "musical" sound preference, they might want to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,328 of 5,483
Guys, nothing that I read on this (or any forum for that matter) means jack shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Guess what, as it is all a bunch of personal taste, nothing really matters and nobody (including no-one) gives a flying fluff what we think.

If anyone says that a headphone for £8-900 is good value they are barking up the wrong Planet!

For instance, look at the AQ Nighthawk, it is the most boring piece of absolute s............................................!!!!!! but some people love it.

Guys, please state clearly whether you are reviewing a sample or whether you bought it with your own money?

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #4,329 of 5,483
Guys, nothing that I read on this (or any forum for that matter) means jack shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Guess what, as it is all a bunch of personal taste, nothing really matters and nobody (including no-one) gives a flying fluff what we think.

If anyone says that a headphone for £8-900 is good value they are barking up the wrong Planet!

For instance, look at the AQ Nighthawk, it is the most boring piece of absolute s............................................!!!!!! but some people love it.

Guys, please state clearly whether you are reviewing a sample or whether you bought it with your own money?

Did you somehow imagine these impressions are some kind of professional reviews? I realize there are some posts that on the face seem as though the author thinks they are the god of opinion but the fact remains you’re reading an IMPRESSIONS thread.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #4,330 of 5,483

No.

Some people are heavily influenced by getting free samples. Some people are not. Do you know if I am? You don't know me or my financial situation. You don't know how many different headphones I've heard or on what kinds of gear. You don't know if I'm half deaf or a Golden Ear. There are SO MANY things about me that affect my perception of the headphone that you don't know. Picking just one aspect to focus on is absurd, especially when it's one that might not even make a difference to me.

Fact is, it's quite possible to review from a sample and come to the same conclusion as if you'd paid money. And in fact, it's quite possible to let the fact that you paid money for something affect your biases as well (spend 5 minutes in the high-end audio section for proof of that).

So please take your insulting question elsewhere. If you can't trust a review unless some arbitrary condition is met, that's on you, not me.

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,331 of 5,483
No.

Some people are heavily influenced by getting free samples. Some people are not. Do you know if I am? You don't know me or my financial situation. You don't know how many different headphones I've heard or on what kinds of gear. You don't know if I'm half deaf or a Golden Ear. There are SO MANY things about me that affect my perception of the headphone that you don't know. Picking just one aspect to focus on is absurd, especially when it's one that might not even make a difference to me.

Fact is, it's quite possible to review from a sample and come to the same conclusion as if you'd paid money. And in fact, it's quite possible to let the fact that you paid money for something affect your biases as well (spend 5 minutes in the high-end audio section for proof of that).

So please take your insulting question elsewhere. If you can't trust a review unless some arbitrary condition is met, that's on you, not me.

Oh oh ask me ask me I know I know lol :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #4,332 of 5,483
No.

Sorry Brother, but you are getting the wrong side of my point.

I am however still not sure if you got your sample free or not?

Either way, I am sure that you can give your unbiased opinion and that this is the first time that I have come across you (and am sure likewise).

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,333 of 5,483
Sorry Brother, but you are getting the wrong side of my point.

I am however still not sure if you got your sample free or not?

Either way, I am sure that you can give your unbiased opinion and that this is the first time that I have come across you (and am sure likewise).

What exactly is your point then? It seems like a pretty common rhetorical trap. But I'm willing to be proven wrong. Brother.

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #4,334 of 5,483
What exactly is your point then? It seems like a pretty common rhetorical trap. But I'm willing to be proven wrong. Brother.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,335 of 5,483
Sorry, I'll restate more clearly: why did you ask whether I paid for the headphones or not after you read my impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back