AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,336 of 5,483
Sorry, I'll restate more clearly: why did you ask whether I paid for the headphones or not after you read my impressions?

Nothing personal whatsoever to you Sir, but far too often, stuff reviewed on HF is absolutely meaningless due to - I got a free sample and I wont get a sample again unless I give a good vibe!

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #4,337 of 5,483
Nothing personal whatsoever to you Sir, but far too often, stuff reviewed on HF is absolutely meaningless due to - I got a free sample and I wont get a sample again unless I give a good vibe!

So nothing personal but I'm either: 1 - Lying about my impressions to get free stuff or 2 - Not lying per se, but stupid and/or poor to the point that free stuff is skewing my perceptions without me even realizing it. No that doesn't seem personal at all. :rolling_eyes:

You know what else makes reviews meaningless?

- Bad hearing. Are you going to request hearing tests from every reviewer? Would you like to know where my treble cutoff is?
- Lack of experience. Are you going to ask what I have to compare my impressions to? Shall I provide a portfolio of my previous reviews?
- Paying for something. Did you know that a huge amount of people reading reviews are just looking for validation for their purchase?
- Personal relationships. Do I know Dan Clark? Are we pals or do I hate him with a burning passion?
- Marketing and branding. Am I just a fanboy because of persistent and effective marketing campaigns?

There are a million things that make us biased. You can't assume a review is worthless just based on one of them. The fact is, a good reviewer does everything in their power to account for those biases. That's the difference between a good reviewer and a bad one: not a lack of bias, but an ability to look past the biases when making their evaluation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there are plenty of useless reviews on Head-fi. But I know they're useless based on their content and my own ears. And once I identify a useless one, I mentally note "don't read that person's reviews anymore" and move along. I don't demand to see their qualifications.

And for the record, Dan has never given out a free unit to a reviewer in his life, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #4,338 of 5,483
Wow, that escalated quickly ...

For the record I bought Dan's AFCs with my own money and despite the sound profile not quite fitting what I want right now I would highly recommend AFCs to those who do want that sound profile, and I would definitely consider them again or any other of Dan's stuff.

Further I really like @Stillhart 's impressions and really appreciate his write-up; we may have a different style we like today but all the better for learning about new things, looking at things from a different perspective, and expanding horizons, which is what this thread should be all about.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #4,339 of 5,483

For the record I bought Dan's AFCs with my own money and despite the sound profile not quite fitting what I want right now I would highly recommend AFCs to those who do want that sound profile, and I would definitely consider them again or any other of Dan's stuff.

Further I really like @Stillhart 's impressions and really appreciate his write-up; we may have a different style we like today but all the better for learning about new things, looking at things from a different perspective, and expanding horizons, which is what this thread should be all about.

I think that we will just leave it there...........................

giphy.gif
a bit like this :smile_phones:

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #4,340 of 5,483

I want to agree with that. I sold my AEONs due to the fact they didn't provide enough bass for my preferences, but I cannot stress enough that the AEONs are still amazing headphones from the build quality down to the crazy good comfort and customer service provided by Dan. Still, if I could make a wish, then I wish that the next AEONs or however they'll be called just have a bit more bass. The rest of the signature can gladly stay the same. :)

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #4,341 of 5,483
I want to agree with that. I sold my AEONs due to the fact they didn't provide enough bass for my preferences, but I cannot stress enough that the AEONs are still amazing headphones from the build quality down to the crazy good comfort and customer service provided by Dan. Still, if I could make a wish, then I wish that the next AEONs or however they'll be called just have a bit more bass. The rest of the signature can gladly stay the same. :)

And then there's folks like myself that think the bass is perfect. I mean like really spot on.

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #4,342 of 5,483
How are the aeons with movies? Guessing not great because of the overall impression of the lack of bass impact but I’d like to hear peoples’ experiences. Anyone with the open aeon feel free to add-on as well. Thanks for any feedback!

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #4,343 of 5,483
How are the aeons with movies? Guessing not great because of the overall impression of the lack of bass impact but I’d like to hear peoples’ experiences. Anyone with the open aeon feel free to add-on as well. Thanks for any feedback!
I would say, if you like the quantity of bass they produce, then they will be awesome for movies. If you don't, well they probably won't do well. I personally think they are absolutely perfect.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #4,344 of 5,483
Just use an EQ if you need more bass. EZPZ.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #4,345 of 5,483
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #4,347 of 5,483
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #4,349 of 5,483
Can I hook that to a computer or and mp3 player like fiio x7mkii? Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.
No worries, No, in this situation it wouldn't work. The Loki is designed to go in between your DAC and your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back