AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #3,123 of 5,483
Has anyone tried walking around with the Aeon headphones? I wanna try them out for commuting and travel.
Yes. I've used them at the airport and they work great. I replaced the cable for an Impact Audio Cable which helps with portability. Just got a couple looks but who cares?
If you're using them outside on a warm day the pads can get a little hot.
On the airplane you're probably better off with noise cancelling headphones or IEMs.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,124 of 5,483
Has anyone tried walking around with the Aeon headphones? I wanna try them out for commuting and travel.

They have a high level of isolation that makes them great for shared commuting (bus, subway, etc) but bad for foot travel where you ideally want to be able to hear traffic in case of an emergency.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,125 of 5,483
I imagine it will be fine for walking around, it just that it's not neck-friendly when you want to rest it on your neck.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #3,126 of 5,483
Just used mine on a flight yesterday and the noise isolation was great! I still like the convenience of my bluetooth ANC headphones for flying but decided to go high quality this time.

My only complaint is managing all the extra crap. Plug the cables into the headphones and then into the dac/amp. Three cables to get the dac/amp into my iPhone. Ugh. Bluetooth is simply turn on and listen.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #3,127 of 5,483
My only complaint is managing all the extra crap. Plug the cables into the headphones and then into the dac/amp. Three cables to get the dac/amp into my iPhone. Ugh. Bluetooth is simply turn on and listen.
Just curious... how long does that take. Under two minutes I would guess. But you did go quality. Was it worth it?

Sometimes I just shake my head in wonder and ask myself "How lazy have we gotten? How demanding of instant gratification...and at what cost?"

Anyway, with a two to 12 hour flight in front of me, I always have found the time and energy to connect my cables...

:airplane_departure: :airplane: (plenty of time) :airplane_arriving:

:o2smile:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,128 of 5,483
Sometimes I just shake my head in wonder and ask myself "How lazy have we gotten? How demanding of instant gratification...and at what cost?"

I have a friend who won't give up his vinyl and "go digital" because he says he likes the ritual of it all, the time and care it takes to get everything running properly when he plays a record.

I think about that every time I turn on my DAP, switch to line-out, load the proper EQ, change the gain setting, interconnect my DAP and external amp, turn on my amp, change the gain, decide on bass boost, take out my headphones, plug in the cables, adjust the headband, adjust the volume, and listen to music.

Like my friend, I enjoy taking the time with each element of my system and appreciating how it all fits together to make great sound.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,129 of 5,483
I use my Aeon everyday for work. iPad into idsd black label. Takes 2 minutes to set up but is well worth it. For air travel I like my Audeze el8 closed with cipher cable. Very good isolation and convenience of one cable.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,130 of 5,483
Just curious... how long does that take. Under two minutes I would guess. But you did go quality. Was it worth it?

Anyway, with a two to 12 hour flight in front of me, I always have found the time and energy to connect my cables...

Yup! Us old guys don’t get it. I mean I do buy my blueray movies online. I buy my jeans online but I never buy things online I don’t know the quality of in advance. If you watch how Amazon and others are changing you’ll see indicators that returns will be way less convenient like when Costco decided they were losing money over the open exchange policy. Amazon and manufacturers are now viewing these policies as Abuse of intention.

A couple cables doesn’t seem all that inconvenient really.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,131 of 5,483

The quality was totally worth it, the significantly better sound quality made it easier to ignore my cramped legs.

Also I think you're misinterpreting the hassle I'm complaining about. The time factor is trivial, I agree. But when you're scrunched in the middle seat of an airplane in coach, every stupid little movement you do feels like an assault on your neighbors. I'm both tall and somewhat wide and flying already sucks enough without having to fuss around with cables for 5 minutes of tension (don't hit anyone!). Yes, I said 5 minutes because of how much extra time it takes trying to avoid elbowing and kicking my neighbors.

On the other hand, my Senn PCX 550's require minimal assaulting of neighbors and even feature a much smaller case. Still no comparison when it comes to sound quality and I'd do it again with Aeons in the future.

Oct 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,132 of 5,483
Same here re: "assaulting your neighbors"!

I've gotten where I just take Bose QuietComfort 20 in-ear noise cancellers and use those - the sound is crap (compared to my Aeons and other "good" headphones driven by a good amplifier), but it takes me 10 seconds to plug-in and start listening and takes up close to zero space in my laptop case / luggage.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3,133 of 5,483
I've gotten where I just take Bose QuietComfort 20 in-ear noise cancellers and use those - the sound is crap (compared to my Aeons and other "good" headphones driven by a good amplifier), but it takes me 10 seconds to plug-in and start listening and takes up close to zero space in my laptop case / luggage.

Same here - I use the QC20 in-ear for flights. Watching movies anyhow, so SQ less of a factor. NC and convenience - is.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #3,134 of 5,483
The quality was totally worth it, the significantly better sound quality made it easier to ignore my cramped legs.

Also I think you're misinterpreting the hassle I'm complaining about. The time factor is trivial, I agree. But when you're scrunched in the middle seat of an airplane in coach, every stupid little movement you do feels like an assault on your neighbors. I'm both tall and somewhat wide and flying already sucks enough without having to fuss around with cables for 5 minutes of tension (don't hit anyone!). Yes, I said 5 minutes because of how much extra time it takes trying to avoid elbowing and kicking my neighbors.

On the other hand, my Senn PCX 550's require minimal assaulting of neighbors and even feature a much smaller case. Still no comparison when it comes to sound quality and I'd do it again with Aeons in the future.

It is All good... still I shake my head.. and smile a bit. wistfully.
BTW, I have a slightly different tactic. I just say hello, let neighbors know I need a couple of minutes to get situated. I can usually do that without assaulting anyone... but just in case... they are ready for it.
Getting my laptop out and setup later is actually much more involved and much more likely to cause potential assaults.

Truthfully though, I typically use IEMs. I have never owned any noise cancelling headphones nor anything Bluetooth.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,135 of 5,483
I just recently lost mine along with my backpack in a cab. I shouldn't have taken them outside, that's what my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x were supposed to be for, but they just sounded so well... :frowning2:

It feels so dirty now to have to turn the volume up in the M50x just to be able to hear all the instruments, at the cost of that bass all over my head. Oh, well, now that the Open variant is available, I'll probably just get those and used them strictly in-house for gaming, music and the like. Just gotta say, I again totally recommend the MrSpeakers Aeon Closed!

Anyways, as the saying goes: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back