AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 1, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,106 of 5,483
hmm so the open has 3dB less around 45hz than open. Looks like just taking the foam off from the close and you have the open. Anyway, the aeon open will be just as interesting. But I already got the open cans experience fully covered.

Based on my involvement and experience in the AFO process, easily as much work went into the development of AFO as did AFC. You'd think it's as easy as removing the carbon fiber inserts from the cups and bam, there you have it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'll just say that it was an ALL IN, hold nothing back and create the best sounding headphone possible effort.

Unlike Jude, I don't have any problem deciding that this is my favorite offering from MrSpeakers. I'll join the impressions thread at this point for future posting to keep information centralized.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #3,107 of 5,483
In Dan's email he mentioned "warmer transition from the bass to midrange for a fun and engaging headphone suitable for any genre of music"
What e-mail?! I am on Mr. Speakers mailing list, and did not get anything recently... At least I believe I am on the list... :thinking:

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #3,108 of 5,483
Unlike Jude, I don't have any problem deciding that this is my favorite offering from MrSpeakers. I'll join the impressions thread at this point for future posting to keep information centralized.

Matt - do you think the AFO are better than Ether Flow (open)?? I already own (and love) the Ether Flow open, and never thought the AFO would be an upgrade...

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,109 of 5,483
Matt - do you think the AFO are better than Ether Flow (open)?? I already own (and love) the Ether Flow open, and never thought the AFO would be an upgrade...

Better is a difficult term to qualify? Better for you or me and in what terms? For me, I'd choose AFO for it's smoother presentation, warmth, comfort and price. ETHER Flow open kills it was jazz, folk, acoustic music and I'll says offers better technical abilities with some of these genres of music that lead to more enjoyment.

I applaud Dan for going all out on AFO. He could have easily scaled it back some and considered the price bracket in relationship to EFO. In my opinion, he absolutely held nothing back and AFO often challenges EFO in both technical abilities and musicality. It's a brave move, but one I think that the community of enthusiast will greatly appreciate.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,110 of 5,483
Better is a difficult term to qualify? Better for you or me and in what terms? For me, I'd choose AFO for it's smoother presentation, warmth, comfort and price. ETHER Flow open kills it was jazz, folk, acoustic music and I'll says offers better technical abilities with some of these genres of music that lead to more enjoyment.

I applaud Dan for going all out on AFO. He could have easily scaled it back some and considered the price bracket in relationship to EFO. In my opinion, he absolutely held nothing back and AFO often challenges EFO in both technical abilities and musicality. It's a brave move, but one I think that the community of enthusiast will greatly appreciate.

My bad, I should have been more specific...
For one who already owns EFO and listens mostly to Rock (including hard rock, soft rock, alternative, etc) - would the AFO be an upgrade?
Should I consider selling the EFO and buy AFO? I do not intend to keep both (and already own and love the AFC in addition to the EFO).

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,111 of 5,483
My bad, I should have been more specific...
For one who already owns EFO and listens mostly to Rock (including hard rock, soft rock, alternative, etc) - would the AFO be an upgrade?
Should I consider selling the EFO and buy AFO? I do not intend to keep both (and already own and love the AFC in addition to the EFO).

I say try out the AFO open first and compare for yourself if at all possible. I don't listen to much rock. I do like AIC, Radiohead, Pink Floyd etc. if that's in your preferred wheel house. I find EFO a little thin for rock. The extra warmth of the AFO might suit you better but it's tough to say. If you're pleased with EFO with rock music, my gut would advise you to stay put.

Or sell me your EFO :) lol

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,112 of 5,483
If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced portable solution, after trying out the Æon on many portable dac/amps I've found the Audioquest Dragonfly Red to be a decent pairing. Actually liked it quite a bit more than the Mojo. (And I've been a big Mojo fan up to this point). Larger soundstage, improved imaging and lush, yet decently resolving. But don't get me wrong it's not even the same world as the Jotenheim and Bifrost Multibit.

I've heard these headphones on my iphone 6+ and Peachtree Shift amp. I'll say people may find it ridiculous but the iPhone sounded extremely good with Norah Jones new album Day breaks. Not sure of the pairing with Dragon fly red or black. I listened to all kinds of music with my tidal stream on my iphone and TBH the iPhone has sounded substantially better to my ears compared to the dragonfly red or black.

I think if i was listening to some classical music there may be some differences but the iphone or other portable amps I've heard seem to have more "body" or "meat on the bones" compared to the dragonfly possibly because the DF is tapping power off the phone.

I need to do some more audtioning!!!

Oct 1, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,113 of 5,483
I say try out the AFO open first and compare for yourself if at all possible. I don't listen to much rock. I do like AIC, Radiohead, Pink Floyd etc. if that's in your preferred wheel house. I find EFO a little thin for rock. The extra warmth of the AFO might suit you better but it's tough to say. If you're pleased with EFO with rock music, my gut would advise you to stay put.

Or sell me your EFO :) lol

I will definitely audition the AFO and compare them to EFO at Dan's table @ RMAF this coming weekend! :wink:

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,114 of 5,483
I've heard these headphones on my iphone 6+ and Peachtree Shift amp. I'll say people may find it ridiculous but the iPhone sounded extremely good with Norah Jones new album Day breaks. Not sure of the pairing with Dragon fly red or black. I listened to all kinds of music with my tidal stream on my iphone and TBH the iPhone has sounded substantially better to my ears compared to the dragonfly red or black.

I think if i was listening to some classical music there may be some differences but the iphone or other portable amps I've heard seem to have more "body" or "meat on the bones" compared to the dragonfly possibly because the DF is tapping power off the phone.

I need to do some more audtioning!!!

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3,115 of 5,483
After reading Chord Hugo 2 reviews I had to try the Hugo 2 with the Aeon. I've been using a Mojo, which I really like. Hugo 2 takes the Aeon to a whole other level. . . incredible what these are capable of doing. My last component is on order, a Danacable Lazuli cable. I use their reference cable at home with a Utopia and have been very pleased.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,117 of 5,483
I'm on the mailing list as well and didn't get the aeon open email until 11:30 (eastern) last night.
I also received it last night eventually. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back