AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,136 of 5,483
They can be driven with a cell phone but scale well. The Fulla 2 will be enough.
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious since the quoted response is from April, but still thought I should post it here so it will be clear - according to a Schiit representative I've contacted and to my own personal bad experience with pairing both products, the Fulla 2 is not enough to power these.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #3,137 of 5,483
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious since the quoted response is from April, but still thought I should post it here so it will be clear - according to a Schiit representative I've contacted and to my own personal bad experience with pairing both products, the Fulla 2 is not enough to power these.
Would you care to elaborate your findings? What didn't you like about the pairing? What did the Schiit representative tell you?

My original statement was in comparison to the cell phone comment. I believe others said it could be driven by a cell phone and the Fulla 2 has a much higher power output than any cell phone. I know that the Apple lightning - headphone adapter for new iPhones can drive the Aeon louder than is comfortable to listen to; albeit it doesn't drive the Aeon to its full potential.

I guess for a more relevant comparison, my HA-2SE can output 300mW into 16ohms while the Fulla 2 can output 550mW into 16ohms - the Aeon is 13ohms. The HA-2SE can easily power them more than loud enough to hurt my ears. If the Fulla 2 really is 83% more powerful than the HA-2SE then it should have no trouble powering them. But this is on paper; if there is something else going on then I don't understand.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #3,138 of 5,483
I have not seen an issue with power from the Fulla2 driving the Aeon. There was a little noise on some tracks but nothing serious. Granted my LAu does a better job....but...you would hope so.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,139 of 5,483
I will confirm this with Schiit this weekend at RMAF and try it myself, but the Fulla2's spec indicates ample power. I know the Fulla wasn't really up to it...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,140 of 5,483
Would you care to elaborate your findings? What didn't you like about the pairing? What did the Schiit representative tell you?

As @bearFNF stated, there were very distinct noises on multiple tracks, especially classical works with string instruments. With the Chord Mojo, no noises at all.

The representative from Schiit simply stated that the Fulla 2 isn't capable of powering them. This surprised me as well given the spec that both you and Dan refer to.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #3,141 of 5,483
I have Fulla2, the power spec might be sufficient but for some reason, there is too much noticable noise with Aeon. In comparison, Fulla2 drives my TH-X00 without any noise. And Mojo, CEntrace DACPortable, CV5 even my Onkyo Granbeat all drives Aeon cleanly.

I'm not sure why Fulla2 and Aeon is a bad match in my experience.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3,142 of 5,483
Does anyone have these and use them for Jazz music?
I have recently found out that planars seem to be better for Jazz.

I bought the Denon D7200 but I don't like it and it has an annoying 5kish ringing.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3,144 of 5,483
As @bearFNF stated, there were very distinct noises on multiple tracks, especially classical works with string instruments. With the Chord Mojo, no noises at all.

The representative from Schiit simply stated that the Fulla 2 isn't capable of powering them. This surprised me as well given the spec that both you and Dan refer to.

The "noise" is probably clipping. And I would agree with your assessment. Fulla 2 may be enough power on paper, but in practice the result is less than ideal.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,145 of 5,483
The "noise" is probably clipping. And I would agree with your assessment. Fulla 2 may be enough power on paper, but in practice the result is less than ideal.

You are right, it sounds like clipping with Fulla2 to Aeon. Still quite puzzled why it happens.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,146 of 5,483
There is just not a good match between power and requirements. The magni 3 however kills it with the Aeon, both open and closed. And still just $99, but no DAC of course.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,147 of 5,483

I have gone back and added an "update" to my original comment, saying that it is not a good pairing and directed people to the discussion on this page. Don't want any misinformation just sitting around. Thanks for bringing it up.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #3,148 of 5,483
I have Fulla2, the power spec might be sufficient but for some reason, there is too much noticable noise with Aeon. In comparison, Fulla2 drives my TH-X00 without any noise. And Mojo, CEntrace DACPortable, CV5 even my Onkyo Granbeat all drives Aeon cleanly.

I'm not sure why Fulla2 and Aeon is a bad match in my experience.

Could be in impedance issue or more likely clipping. Try turning up all of the devices that feed the amp ( i.e. pc / DAC volume to 90% ) and try again. Hopefully you just have a volume issue somewhere on your audio chain causing the issue.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #3,149 of 5,483

I've been using Fulla 2 with the Aeon, and definitely have noticed noise, but it doesn't seem to come at volume peaks or anything. I've been assuming it was some kind of RF interference (Fulla is sitting right next to my phone and laptop) or something. But if it's like a known issue, I guess that's a relief in a way.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,150 of 5,483
Yep, to me it sounds like staticy noise at moderate levels.
I've been using Fulla 2 with the Aeon, and definitely have noticed noise, but it doesn't seem to come at volume peaks or anything. I've been assuming it was some kind of RF interference (Fulla is sitting right next to my phone and laptop) or something. But if it's like a known issue, I guess that's a relief in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back