AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #3,153 of 5,483
Could be in impedance issue or more likely clipping. Try turning up all of the devices that feed the amp ( i.e. pc / DAC volume to 90% ) and try again. Hopefully you just have a volume issue somewhere on your audio chain causing the issue.

Well, the issue is when using Fulla2 DAC/Amp directly to Aeon. So there should be no clipping in the audio chain, except from the Fulla2 itself. Actually, the DAC is fine too, no clipping when using the lineout to feed CV5.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,154 of 5,483
Another point of reference, my GH1G do not exhibit this staticy noise with the Fulla2 . FWIW

When I get home I will check for it with my HD800'S.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,155 of 5,483
Planning on selling those denons?
I listen to a lot of hi res jazz with the Aeon and it is excellent. I originally paired with Mojo and recently got the Hugo 2 which makes it even better. Classical is equally good with these.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #3,157 of 5,483
Interesting how many here are looking to use their Aeons out-and-about with portable amps/DACs/DAPs. Smaller than the Ethers, but still pretty big for use in public. Or are you merely transporting them to the office for use there with the portables? Just curious... Sold a pair of Aeons yesterday to someone who plans to use them with an iPhone at her office, where she needs to be able to walk around the room. Convinced her to try the setup with a Dragonfly Red added to the mix, since she planned on having the iPhone in her pocket. (Seeing the smile spread across her face as she listened to the Aeon/Dragonfly combo was priceless.)

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,158 of 5,483
I agree with @JerseyD. I don't find the Aeon to be the best portable option out there by any means. And it really needs a decent amp to bring out the potential. Usually a desktop amp is what you're looking for with the Aeon.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,159 of 5,483
Interesting how many here are looking to use their Aeons out-and-about with portable amps/DACs/DAPs. Smaller than the Ethers, but still pretty big for use in public. Or are you merely transporting them to the office for use there with the portables?

Office. The case fits into my laptop bag just fine, and the Fulla packs up nicely inside the case only requires a standard micro-USB power thing, so -- except for those occasional bursts of static/maybe-clipping -- it's a conveniently transportable thing that I can pack up at the end of the day with no fuss.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,160 of 5,483
I agree with @JerseyD. I don't find the Aeon to be the best portable option out there by any means. And it really needs a decent amp to bring out the potential. Usually a desktop amp is what you're looking for with the Aeon.

Absolutely, Matt. The Aeon (like the Ethers) scales up so well, that users should go for the best electronics they can afford, because the Aeon will reflect the increased quality in their sound. They are the under-$1000 champ in my opinion.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #3,161 of 5,483
@JerseyD don't know if you've heard the Open version. The closed Aeon is very good...the Open is better. They are a couple of levels up the chain from the closed variant. The price/performance ratio is off the chart.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,162 of 5,483
@JerseyD don't know if you've heard the Open version. The closed Aeon is very good...the Open is better. They are a couple of levels up the chain from the closed variant. The price/performance ratio is off the chart.

Have not heard the open yet, but I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. From what you and Dan have shared, I can tell I will love them. Differences between open and closed seem to be in line with the differences between the Ether Flow open vs closed (which makes sense).

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,163 of 5,483
I bring my iFi Black Label, a full-sized can (often the AEONs), my DAP, and a pair of IEMs with me to work everyday. As a teacher with hours of grading to do each day, it is well worth the hassle of hauling gear to and fro. That set of gear covers just about all the bases for me. I don't have to worry about open vs. closed, but the AEONs are great for transport because they come with a sturdy, well-designed case and are super comfortable for long sessions.

If I am walking around the room while working (which I also do a lot during my prep periods), I prefer the security of IEMs or the kung-fu grip death-clamp of my Audeze SINEs. The AEONs work well with walking, but not as well with looking down or bending. They won't fall off, don't get me wrong. They just move around a bit and with my less-than-optimal glasses, I end up losing the seal that way.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,164 of 5,483
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,165 of 5,483
I worked from home and I don't use my Aeon as a portable, I bring my IEM when I'm out. But I like my equipment to be portable to save desk space (since space is precious for me), so I haven't looked into a home DAC or Amplifier yet. Hugo2 is probably the biggest I could tolerate, it's still a bit too expensive though. But yeah, I don't see Aeon as a portable headphone either, it's light, comfortable and transportable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back