AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 31, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #137 of 5,483
Are these going to be on ear or over ear?

These will be over-ear.  

Hope us dealers don't have to wait too long to get our mitts on the Aeon!

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #138 of 5,483

Thanks for the quick response, and for confirming my ears are good to go...

As for the sound signature - I have tested the open and closed Ether Flow headphones, and think the open are the best I have ever heard. So much so that I bought them.  The most expensive (by large margin) headphones I own...
My issue is:  I need a 2nd headphone, closed back, MUCH cheaper than the Ether C Flow (for late night listening).  Ether C Flow did NOT impress me (regardless of price).  
So... "Dan going for the current house sound" does not help me, because I LOVE the open but not so much the closed Ether Flow "house sound".......

Unfortunately, my earliest opportunity to just try them would be in CanJam SoCal (in 2+ months).  By then, no $100 discount, and probably 2 months backorder waiting time  
frown.gif

Tough 1st world problems... I know...

Well like I said, I think the Flow and the Flow C are close enough that saying it sounds like them is descriptive enough.  Clearly your impressions and mine didn't match.  Perhaps it would help if you tell me what about the Flow C you like less than the Flow?  

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #141 of 5,483
Jan 31, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #142 of 5,483
Looks like 53 of the first 250 are gone already. Cheers

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #144 of 5,483
I heard both the Flow and Flow C at the London Canjam a few months back and much preferred the open Flow to the Flow C. Whilst both models were clearly high quality, to me the Flow had a warmer signature which I liked very much and the Flow C a cooler signature that I didn't really get on with. I asked Dan at the show and if I recall correctly he confirmed the open Flow was tuned for a warmer overall tone whilst the Flow C was cooler than the Flow but went deeper in the bass.

Dan, if I recall your comments incorrectly, apologies, but that is how they sounded to me.

Unfortunately the Ether Flow is out of my budget. I'd love to know if the Aeon's overall tone is closer to the Flow or the Flow C, especially through the mid-range.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #145 of 5,483
I heard both the Flow and Flow C at the London Canjam a few months back and much preferred the open Flow to the Flow C. Whilst both models were clearly high quality, to me the Flow had a warmer signature which I liked very much and the Flow C a cooler signature that I didn't really get on with. I asked Dan at the show and if I recall correctly he confirmed the open Flow was tuned for a warmer overall tone whilst the Flow C was cooler than the Flow but went deeper in the bass.

Dan, if I recall your comments incorrectly, apologies, but that is how they sounded to me.

Unfortunately the Ether Flow is out of my budget. I'd love to know if the Aeon's overall tone is closer to the Flow or the Flow C, especially through the mid-range.

Same here! :blush:

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #146 of 5,483

Well like I said, I think the Flow and the Flow C are close enough that saying it sounds like them is descriptive enough.  Clearly your impressions and mine didn't match.  Perhaps it would help if you tell me what about the Flow C you like less than the Flow?  

Definitely liked the bass WAY better on the Flow.  But bass was not my only issue with the Ether C.  I do not recall what exactly (other than bass) I liked so much better on the open back version.  I do remember talking to Dan about it.  After mentioning that I listen mostly to rock music - Dan was not surprised.  He said that most rock lovers would prefer the open back, while most EDM lovers would probably prefer the closed back.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #147 of 5,483
  When I saw the Post topic I initially figured these would follow the trend of higher prices than previous models. Nice to see Mr. Speakers release something in this price range.

Strongly agreed!
$799 (or $699 at the moment) is not cheap by any means, but a lot more people would be able to reach those, compared to the Ether Flow at $1,000 more...

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #149 of 5,483
  ​(When) will the new cables be for sale separately? They do fit on a pair of Ethers, right? Wondering if it's worth getting them over the standard DUMs.

Good question!  Also, I wonder if I get the Aeon - will I be able to use my DUM balanced cable with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back