AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 31, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #151 of 5,483
  When I saw the Post topic I initially figured these would follow the trend of higher prices than previous models. Nice to see Mr. Speakers release something in this price range.

We actually started this project around when we started ETHER.  It's VERY hard to make design tradeoffs to get the price down without killing sound or comfort and even harder to deal with manufacturing issues that can compromise consistency,...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #152 of 5,483
FWIW, I just wanted to add some perspective to an earlier debate on quoting Tyll that ATH-M50X is 95% Ether C Flow. Note that this is intended more for newbies (like myself) reading these threads. Here are some other quotes from Tyll's YouTube review:

"This is one of the most outstanding sealed headphones I've heard, one of the best."

"Audio professionals who are in the need of a sealed headphone that has enough neutrality to work with, I definitely think this headphone does have that... It's astonishingly neutral..."

"None of the upscale sealed headphones I've heard... the Audeze LCD-XC, for example... I think this is a much better headphone than that."

"For pros looking for the best sealed headphones that they can get their hands on, this certainly might be the right headphone for you."

"If you're a headphone audiophile and wanna spend big bucks on a sealed headphone, I would say this is the headphone to go with."

I feel that it is unfair to tarnish the reputation of a small, local brand producing fantastic products.

I am an Ether C Flow owner who has owned the ATH-M50X for 4 years prior to it, and I can testify that if nothing else, the Ether C Flow destroys them in terms of the depth of soundstage; I will leave the articulation of other sonic qualities to experienced members. Tyll's point (made amply clear in his video) simply is that closed-back headphones have a lower point of diminishing returns than open-backed due to technological limitations, so we should not expect these to sound like an Ether Flow or HD 800S. That being said, the only people who will be interested in a closed-back headphone would be those whose listening needs will be compromised by leakage from open-backed designs, and MrSpeakers makes a truly worthy product for such customers.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #153 of 5,483
Feb 1, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #154 of 5,483
  I heard both the Flow and Flow C at the London Canjam a few months back and much preferred the open Flow to the Flow C. Whilst both models were clearly high quality, to me the Flow had a warmer signature which I liked very much and the Flow C a cooler signature that I didn't really get on with. I asked Dan at the show and if I recall correctly he confirmed the open Flow was tuned for a warmer overall tone whilst the Flow C was cooler than the Flow but went deeper in the bass.

Dan, if I recall your comments incorrectly, apologies, but that is how they sounded to me.

Unfortunately the Ether Flow is out of my budget. I'd love to know if the Aeon's overall tone is closer to the Flow or the Flow C, especially through the mid-range.

Hi,
We should defiantly have a set for the Milton Keynes Head-fi meet come and have a listen.
Mark

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #156 of 5,483

We actually started this project around when we started ETHER.  It's VERY hard to make design tradeoffs to get the price down without killing sound or comfort and even harder to deal with manufacturing issues that can compromise consistency,...

Dan , don't you think it will take away sale of Ether C and Ether C Flow. when you were designing AEON at same time as Ether I presume this thought must have come to your mind. So what argument persuaded to make them at half the price and sound as good as Ether C Flow
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #158 of 5,483
  Dan , don't you think it will take away sale of Ether C and Ether C Flow. when you were designing AEON at same time as Ether I presume this thought must have come to your mind. So what argument persuaded to make them at half the price and sound as good as Ether C Flow
wink_face.gif

Getting Flow quality at this price point is going to bring a lot of positive energy to Mr. Speakers

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #160 of 5,483
Uk people should wait till audio sanctuary gets stock, it'll be cheaper than preordering now for april and paying around £130 on top in fees

Not 100% but pretty sure Electromod will get stock before Custom Cable in the U.K.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #163 of 5,483
So excited to see how much these will be in the UK. I have a sort of self imposed limit on how much I will spend on headphones and I hope these come in just under.

My guess is £700

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #164 of 5,483
Dan , don't you think it will take away sale of Ether C and Ether C Flow. when you were designing AEON at same time as Ether I presume this thought must have come to your mind. So what argument persuaded to make them at half the price and sound as good as Ether C Flow :wink_face:  

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will."

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #165 of 5,483
My guess is £700

Close. Actually £750. That goes for all my audio purchases. I know I could save longer and get more money but, on my income, I cannot justify more than that on any one thing. Kind of a way of keeping myself in check.

EDIT: I am very happy that these are priced fairly and are halting the absurd price oneupmanship that has been going on. I think with UK taxes these will be pushing £850 unless I jump on the introductory price.

EDIT the second: i am kind of slow today. I just realised you were guessing the price, not my budget, which makes much more sense. I hope you are right but I am thinking they will be more expensive. The pound is in the toilet right now due to the implosion of Western civilisation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back