1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mrspeakers, Jan 30, 2017.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. foreverzer0

I think I'd go with CIEM's for that scenario (in which I already do for my commute).

2. EddieE

I use universal IEMs, Noble Savants, and I like them.

I would just like a circumaural headphone option for portable use that offers proper hifi sound and is also portable. By portable I mean foldable as well as just efficient and closed.

It's probably one of the least represented categories in the hobby. I haven't heard anything that fits the description that could really be called hifi, or for my tastes anyway.

It's just a shame that these headphone probably could have been that, but they've been given a headband that rules that usage out. 

Oh well. Looks like a lovely product anyway, just not for my needs.

3. mscott58

Have you tried the Audeze SINEs? Some don't like the on-ear approach, but this can be modified, and they do fold up nicely for portable use. One watch-out is that you have to put them in some type of structured case, as I broke one of the very first pairs by keeping it inside the soft bag they provided with the HP but which gives no protection structurally. Cheers

4. Astral Abyss

I agree, that's why my good ol ATH-M50x are still my go-to for trips and outside use.  I'm trying to convince myself the Aeon would be a good replacement, but the whole folding, indestructible thing of the M50x can't be discounted.

5. foreverzer0
    Or the Oppo PM-3's for kind of over ear and portable (folds up), includes a nice denim case too. 

Astral Abyss likes this.
  6. EddieE

I did, I had high hopes for them but they weren't quite to my tastes. Nice, certainly a good quality set of cans, just didn't love the sound enough to justify the price. Also really hoping to find something circumaural and portable rather than supra. 

Yet to hear them, but have heard a load of good things about them. What holds me back is my big ears. They would definitely be more supraaural for me.

7. Stillhart
    My review is up!   

http://audio-head.com/mrspeakers-aeon-review/

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys may have, etc.

8. MattTCG

Well done! Very much in line with my impressions. 

Stillhart likes this.
  9. Imusicman

Please, Please Dan include this (yes I am on my knees begging right now lol). Im a UK buyer and pressed the button last night. I really don't want to have to pay two lots of import charges. I will need a case as I intend using these as a upgrade to my PM-3's which are my current portable choice paired with my QP1R.
    Failing that please bring a supply to sell at the London CanJam this year which can be purchased at a special "show price" [​IMG]

10. mrspeakers Contributor

People asked Schiit that about the GMB cannibalizing Yggy.  [​IMG] 

ÆON headphones are similar yet different to the C Flow and I believe there's a place for both of them in the market, and that the higher volume of customers will probably increase sales for the high end products, as well.  

Sonically, for those who felt the C Flow was perhaps too technical sounding for them, I think the ÆON will hit the mark, and of course for value it is a wonderful headphone.  On the other hand, for those who value the higher resolution, soundstage, and big bass sound, the C Flow is still going to be a great choice.   Time will tell, of course, and I look forward to hearing people's impressions at CanJam this weekend. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
  11. mrspeakers Contributor

It fits pretty well in a back pack, and we are working on a case.  While it won't be as small as a fold flat it's definitely friendlier for this than the ETHERs, and I can put 4 in my backpack if they're in bags.  The case will be nearly an inch thinner in profile than the ETHER case and have room for a cable and DAP inside.  We are not sure we can get the cost low enough to be bundled, we will if we can.  

But if not the headphone is super tough and just a soft bag is all you'd need as long as your backpack isn't stuffed with hard metal edges.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
  12. Sarnia
    Great review. Out of interest have you heard the Sony MDR-Z1R, and if so how do you think they compare?

13. Byronb
    Thanks Stillhart, I have ordered so now all that is left is the waiting. Great to hear from people that have heard it. 

14. Shawnb

I started off with the Mad Dogs and enjoying those as much as I did made me want to look higher up the price range and lead me to upgrade to the Alpha Dogs and then to Primes and now buy the ÆON.
    I look forward to comparing them with my Primes

15. Stillhart

Sorry, I've only heard it briefly in a show environment.  My main takeaway was to wonder why people seemed to like it so much.  I didn't hear anything special that would validate flagship pricing.  But with so many people excited about it, I'm sure I need to give it some more time in a better listening environment.

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last