AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #121 of 5,483
I just popped for a pair. I was planning on getting rid of my Audeze Sines anyway since they are very uncomfortable for my ears. If these come with a travel case, they will be my travelling cans while the Ether C Flows (that are finally opening up) will be my at-home cans. There are very few companies that I am willing to blindly buy a new product from but Dan's is one of them.:D
Looking forward to late April!:popcorn:
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #123 of 5,483
How do the ear openings in the pads compare to the Ether Flows? Will big ears fit?
Inquiring minds...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I answered this a few pages back.  The openings on the Aeon are significantly bigger than the ones on the Ether.  I'll get some measurements for my upcoming review.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #124 of 5,483
The return policy does not apply to the first 250 pairs that sell $100 cheaper than retail price.

Good point, I forgot about that. But even then if you didn't like them you'd likely be able to get most of your $ back on the used market. But point well taken. 
  Will these pair well with a OTL amp?

Hybrids amps like Schiit makes, lyr2 and mjo2, are wonderful. Crack, not so much. Most DAPS with any decent power output work well...fiio x5, Dragonfly Red, Sony wm 1z are all good. 
DUMMER is a 6' copper cable with the same outer housing we use on DUM. The cable is slightly thinner with a more flexible housing on the cable. It has a dual 3.5mm and 1/4" tip. It's more supple than the DUM cable, and not quite as resolving in the highs. Also, it's not a Neutrik plug.

I think that the new cable is great. More flexibility is always a good thing. The 1/8 plug fits seemlessly to the 1/4 adapter. In fact for quite a while I didn't realize it was a 1/8. 
redface.gif
  The flexibility makes a perfect complement to Aeon. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #125 of 5,483
I answered this a few pages back.  The openings on the Aeon are significantly bigger than the ones on the Ether.  I'll get some measurements for my upcoming review.

Sorry about that, I just saw your previous post and was about to delete my question. That's what I get for asking questions before finishing the thread.:xf_eek:
Thanks much!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #127 of 5,483
No, that is NOT what this means.  These were pre-production units, they should be identical to full production sonically but a few details need to be finished, like the head strap will change.  

Tyll does not do reviews or put pre-production units on the WOF.  I sent him this because I thought he'd be interested, but it was clear to both of us in advance this was a preview only.
thank Dan for clarification

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #128 of 5,483

@Stillhart  - I was also asking several pages ago about fitting big ears.  I never tried the Ether, but own Ether Flow.  Can you confirm the openings for the ears are not smaller than Ether Flow?

Also, can you please answer a question re: sound signature?  I absolutely love my Ether Flow, but was NOT impressed with the closed Ether C Flow.  How would you compare the sound signature of the Aeon to those 2 big brothers?
I am looking for a closed back for late night listening, but Ether C Flow is too expensive, and not to my likings... Hoping the Aeon would sound better to my ears (mostly listening to rock music, BTW).

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #129 of 5,483

I was also asking several pages ago about fitting big ears.  I never tried the Ether, but own Ether Flow.  Can you confirm the openings for the ears are not smaller than Ether Flow?

I've asked Dan about this via PM, and he said:

"Approximately 1 3/4" wide by 3 1/4 tall"

Good to know that there's plenty of room for the ears.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #130 of 5,483
Ordered!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #131 of 5,483

I've asked Dan about this via PM, and he said:

"Approximately 1 3/4" wide by 3 1/4 tall"

Good to know that there's plenty of room for the ears.

Thanks!  and I agree - good to know my ears would fit in there... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #133 of 5,483

@Stillhart  - I was also asking several pages ago about fitting big ears.  I never tried the Ether, but own Ether Flow.  Can you confirm the openings for the ears are not smaller than Ether Flow?

Also, can you please answer a question re: sound signature?  I absolutely love my Ether Flow, but was NOT impressed with the closed Ether C Flow.  How would you compare the sound signature of the Aeon to those 2 big brothers?
I am looking for a closed back for late night listening, but Ether C Flow is too expensive, and not to my likings... Hoping the Aeon would sound better to my ears (mostly listening to rock music, BTW).

Thanks!

Yes, confirmed.  As far as I know, the Ether and Ether Flow have the same opening inside, it's just the pad material that changed.  Trust me, it's bigger than it looks from the outside... this is no PM-3.

Regarding the sound signature, it's been a while since I've heard the open Flow but i have a closed one here.  From memory, they're pretty similar with the closed one being a little warmer?  I'm not going to go into sound signature right now since I'm working on that section of the review atm.  But I'll say that Dan is definitely going for the current "house sound" of the Flow headphones.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #134 of 5,483

Yes, confirmed.  As far as I know, the Ether and Ether Flow have the same opening inside, it's just the pad material that changed.  Trust me, it's bigger than it looks from the outside... this is no PM-3.

Regarding the sound signature, it's been a while since I've heard the open Flow but i have a closed one here.  From memory, they're pretty similar with the closed one being a little warmer?  I'm not going to go into sound signature right now since I'm working on that section of the review atm.  But I'll say that Dan is definitely going for the current "house sound" of the Flow headphones.

Thanks for the quick response, and for confirming my ears are good to go...

As for the sound signature - I have tested the open and closed Ether Flow headphones, and think the open are the best I have ever heard. So much so that I bought them.  The most expensive (by large margin) headphones I own...
My issue is:  I need a 2nd headphone, closed back, MUCH cheaper than the Ether C Flow (for late night listening).  Ether C Flow did NOT impress me (regardless of price).  
So... "Dan going for the current house sound" does not help me, because I LOVE the open but not so much the closed Ether Flow "house sound".......

Unfortunately, my earliest opportunity to just try them would be in CanJam SoCal (in 2+ months).  By then, no $100 discount, and probably 2 months backorder waiting time  
frown.gif

Tough 1st world problems... I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back