AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 14, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #466 of 5,483
  Looking on measurements from innerfidelity, I would guess that the Aeon for instance sounds more like an average open-headphone than Focal Elear does, even though Aeon is fully closed and Elear is fully open :) 

" I really don't like to compare open vs closed designs. "

"Closed headphones are mmm...closed headphones."

I think you have to stop being dogmatic, it's 2016, and I wouldn't say this is the case anymore. Of course some very spacious-sounding headphones like HD800 currently doesn't exist within closed headphones... But, the HD800 has an artifical large soundstage. Utopia for instance has a smaller soundstage but still has more precise imaging.

I don't really know what your point is or where you're trying to go here. Hd800 has an artificially large sound stage...compared to what? Listening to live music, other open headphones, other closed headphones? I personally don't find anything artificial about the staging on the hd800. And I'd call it the best out there. 

I still feel it's a mistake to compare open and closed headphones in general. If you're looking to only buy one headphone and it's down to two models and one is open and one closed, then maybe. 

The important thing here for me, is that the Aeon has good staging for a closed headphone. It doesn't sound congested and molten. There is space between voices and instruments that make the experiences enjoyable. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #467 of 5,483
So if I don't need a closed HP for travel...
Should I wait for the open model?
I own HD650, T90 (can be too bright and harsh with my Jotunheim) and Denon D7200.
Open or closed?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #468 of 5,483
So if I don't need a closed HP for travel...
Should I wait for the open model?
I own HD650, T90 (can be too bright and harsh with my Jotunheim) and Denon D7200.
Open or closed?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There are no official plans that I know of for an open model. While it certainly does make sense that an open model would follow, if that should happen I wouldn't expect anything in the near future. But what do I know? 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #469 of 5,483
I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but has anyone been able to compare this headphone to the alpha dog? I own the alpha dog and im curious about how much better or different it is, and weather its better/different enough to buy it even though i already own the AD. Thanks!

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #470 of 5,483
I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but has anyone been able to compare this headphone to the alpha dog? I own the alpha dog and im curious about how much better or different it is, and weather its better/different enough to buy it even though i already own the AD. Thanks!

I own the Prime's and asked Dan how they compare and in his biased opinion the Aeon's are better across the board so take that as you will.
Looking forward to getting my pair and I'll be sure to do a comparison

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #471 of 5,483

While the Alpha Dog is no longer in my kennel, I remember it well.  The Aeon is a very different headphone and in my opinion a very worthy upgrade. Will it sound different and better? Yes and yes. 
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #472 of 5,483
I own the Prime's and asked Dan how they compare and in his biased opinion the Aeon's are better across the board so take that as you will.

Hahahaha...  Hopefully *I* was the one who told you it was my biased opinion!  I actually say that a lot so it sounds like me...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #474 of 5,483
As I sit at my computer (after a long day), I was looking at my a900x... the poor things are pretty beat up.  It makes me wonder if I should get a headphone stand before the Aeons arrive...

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #475 of 5,483

I have Alpha dogs and Elear. I will compare them all as soon as Dan gets the AEON shipped out and burn in takes place.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #476 of 5,483

Hahahaha...  Hopefully *I* was the one who told you it was my biased opinion!  I actually say that a lot so it sounds like me...

Hehehe Dan   ummm is that like  " if it looks like a pig....smells like a pig....and oinks like a pig  ...then put lipstick on it?"    
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #477 of 5,483
Man its only Mid Feb   April is SO FAR OFF!!

I'm starting to get into headphone frenzy here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back