AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #451 of 5,483

...  The Carbon Fiber of the Aeon is so sleek and sexy.  Hope that term is okay to use here.

Since you're talking gear and not people I think you're super-okay.  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 13, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #453 of 5,483

Are there any reasons for why you would ever use the HD650 over the Aeon?

Is there an area where you would say the HD650 bests the Aeon?

Well, as I said earlier even though I have some really good open backed headphones at my disposal I find that I often pick up the Aeon despite the house being quiet. That's a great complement in my book. It's an addictive signature. 

When compared the the Aeon, the hd650 has a warmer more relaxing presentation. It's my warm blanket headphone that I usually go to even when I'm feeling tired and my ears are fatigued. So even though the Aeon is the most accessible/easy going of the MrSpeakers line, it still would sound neutral when compared to something like the hd650. 

Hope that helps. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #454 of 5,483
Hey mrspeakers, are we allowed to try the AEON with our own sources @ CanJam Singapore? I would like to test out them out with my Pioneer XDP-300R which has both 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced.

Cheers

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #455 of 5,483
#121 of first 250 SOLD. Still 129 to go. : )
Thanks to all who posted reviews and impressions. Thanks to MrS. for the discount.
Seriously looking forward to hearing the AEON

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #456 of 5,483
I have the Nightowl here. These are the primary differences...

NO: A much warmer overall tone. There is a mid bass hump but overall pretty good tone. Comfortable but pretty large. Not a portable but somewhat of a transportable. Slower decay and transient response. Will gloss over bad recording better. 

Aeon: More neutral with a slight warm tilt. Very good decay and transient response. Bass is linear but can kick like a mule with EDM. A very natural tone. Smaller and a bit more comfy than NO IMO. 
The Nightowl seems like it has a intriguing sound signature

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #457 of 5,483

I have no problem owning Aeon and I have the 650. 

Are there any reasons for why you would ever use the HD650 over the Aeon?

Is there an area where you would say the HD650 bests the Aeon?

Many people modify their HD650 that fairly dramatically change the headphone signature. I didn't like the stock HD650, but I have a heavily modded 650 that sound pretty darned good. Also, many would argue the HD650 really scales well and is truly awesome with very good equipment.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #458 of 5,483

Many people modify their HD650 that fairly dramatically change the headphone signature. I didn't like the stock HD650, but I have a heavily modded 650 that sound pretty darned good. Also, many would argue the HD650 really scales well and is truly awesome with very good equipment.

I wouldn't argue about that. The 650 does have very good scale. But with the right amp, ie Jot or BHC, I don't feel that many of the mods are needed. Dynamat, maybe but I'm not even sure about that. 

Truth is, the Aeon is a different headphone than the 650. More of a complement than a competitor. I enjoy spending time with both. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #459 of 5,483

I wouldn't argue about that. The 650 does have very good scale. But with the right amp, ie Jot or BHC, I don't feel that many of the mods are needed. Dynamat, maybe but I'm not even sure about that. 

Truth is, the Aeon is a different headphone than the 650. More of a complement than a competitor. I enjoy spending time with both. 

Thanks for your impressions between the 650 and the Aeon, but could you elaborate a bit more on the main differences that makes them complements rather than competitors? Thanks Matt!

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #460 of 5,483
  Thanks for your impressions between the 650 and the Aeon, but could you elaborate a bit more on the main differences that makes them complements rather than competitors? Thanks Matt!

Sure. The most obvious is the difference in open vs closed. I really don't like to compare open vs closed designs. They will always be fundamentally different. No closed headphone will ever sound truly open. Because there are physics involved. Good closed headphones are able to overcome this limitation to different degrees and I feel that Aeon does this very nicely. I do not hear a congested and cramped stage with Aeon. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #462 of 5,483

Sure. The most obvious is the difference in open vs closed. I really don't like to compare open vs closed designs. They will always be fundamentally different. No closed headphone will ever sound truly open. Because there are physics involved. Good closed headphones are able to overcome this limitation to different degrees and I feel that Aeon does this very nicely. I do not hear a congested and cramped stage with Aeon. 

Just imagine an open Aeon :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #465 of 5,483
Looking on measurements from innerfidelity, I would guess that the Aeon for instance sounds more like an average open-headphone than Focal Elear does, even though Aeon is fully closed and Elear is fully open :) 

" I really don't like to compare open vs closed designs. "

"Closed headphones are mmm...closed headphones."

I think you have to stop being dogmatic, it's 2016, and I wouldn't say this is the case anymore. Of course some very spacious-sounding headphones like HD800 currently doesn't exist within closed headphones... But, the HD800 has an artifical large soundstage. Utopia for instance has a smaller soundstage but still has more precise imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back