AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #481 of 5,483
  Hi all...   We will include a case if we can deliver quality at a price that allows us to keep it at $799.99, if the cost is too high it will be an option.  This is not easy and we make no promise except that we will try.  That's the last major part of the project that isn't finished and in production.  

Dan - any update on the case for the Aeon?  
Being the last major part of the project - I hope you reached a conclusion...  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #482 of 5,483
If Dan is still lurking about in the thread,  maybe he can give us a heads up on since this is still a dual entry headphone why there isn't an option to go with a balanced 4 pin xlr vs single ended on the cable.  Hope I didn't miss this somewhere in the thread, if so, I'll take my beating and move on.   :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #483 of 5,483
  If Dan is still lurking about in the thread,  maybe he can give us a heads up on since this is still a dual entry headphone why there isn't an option to go with a balanced 4 pin xlr vs single ended on the cable.  Hope I didn't miss this somewhere in the thread, if so, I'll take my beating and move on.   :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread, I'd imagine so at this point but I was personally in contact with Dan a few days ago asking the same question and was told that unfortunately the new DUMMER cable cannot be terminated in 4 pin XLR for the time being at least, would have to get a spare DUM for that or an aftermarket.

As for why I wouldn't know, I didn't ask.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #484 of 5,483

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread, I'd imagine so at this point but I was personally in contact with Dan a few days ago asking the same question and was told that unfortunately the new DUMMER cable cannot be terminated in 4 pin XLR for the time being at least, would have to get a spare DUM for that or an aftermarket.

He might be having them made in bulk rather than hand made to save money and pass that savings on to us. It might very well be possible to simply re-terminate the DUMMER cable. We will know soon once they ship.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #485 of 5,483
Yea that sounds like a very likely explanation, having them made in bulk would probably be cheaper indeed. More than likely we could re-terminate the cables ourselves once they start shipping, I just meant Dan has no plans to offer the option himself as is with the DUM for now. I'll probably just get a spare DUM with XLR, I don't really need the length but it's always nice to have a back up either way in case something happens.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #486 of 5,483

It could also be that there are only 3 conductors in the bottom half of the DUMMER.  i.e. the grounds are merged at the Y.  This would make reterminating not possible.  

But since it has the same connectors as the others, you could get any balanced connector that was compatible.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #487 of 5,483
  It could also be that there are only 3 conductors in the bottom half of the DUMMER.  i.e. the grounds are merged at the Y.  This would make reterminating not possible.  

But since it has the same connectors as the others, you could get any balanced connector that was compatible.

That would seem to be the most reasonable answer.  That said, it seems a bit low end.  Could I be wrong, yes especially if the cans are targeted for DAP applications.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #488 of 5,483
That would seem to be the most reasonable answer.  That said, it seems a bit low end.  Could I be wrong, yes especially if the cans are targeted for DAP applications.

Now that we're on the topic of cables. I'm assuming if the cable can be reterminated to xlr that means it qualifies for 2.5mm trrs as well? If I order these I intend to use them with my the 2.5mm balanced output on my XDP-300R

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #489 of 5,483
to easy to speculate on the cable, and no real reason to until we know. It either is re-terminatable or not

There is a guy that knows (nudge nudge)

BTW, "re-terminateable" trademarked Allan Marcus

:)

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #490 of 5,483
It's dual entry so if you want to reterminate it go ahead, all dual entry are always 4 conductor

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 19, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #492 of 5,483
Hey all, new here on head-fi. Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before. Owning only a pair of KRK KNS 8400 studio phones and based on reviews/impressions, Mr. Speakers history/ Youtube videos and Dan putting everything he's got and over delivering in terms of value I decided to take the plunge and order the Aeon. Looking forward to it arriving at my doorstep and will be ordering the Schiit Jotunheim w/dac to pair with it. Not bad for a debut into high fidelity audio! 

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #493 of 5,483
  Hey all, new here on head-fi. Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before. Owning only a pair of KRK KNS 8400 studio phones and based on reviews/impressions, Mr. Speakers history/ Youtube videos and Dan putting everything he's got and over delivering in terms of value I decided to take the plunge and order the Aeon. Looking forward to it arriving at my doorstep and will be ordering the Schiit Jotunheim w/dac to pair with it. Not bad for a debut into high fidelity audio! 

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet...
wink_face.gif

Sounds like you should be very happy with your choices.  I owned the Jotunheim w/DAC and still own a set of Ether C Flows.  I ordered the Aeon for myself as well.  I wanted to go back to listening to my tube collection so I sold my Jotunheim to get a Mjolnir 2, but the Jotunheim provided a great sound for my Ether C Flows and I'm sure it will for the Aeons as well.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the world of music!
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #494 of 5,483
I just pulled the trigger, couldn't wait:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Welcome guys!

Living Life's gift is finding new and unusual ways to spend your money, Grief is no longer having money to spend or a life left to spend it!    

beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #495 of 5,483

Talk about minimalism, first post - straight to 2017s latest planar. You'll probably be done-and-dusted with your first pick.

For some of us, the subjective audio hardware perfection hunt is never finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back