AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #496 of 5,483
  Hey all, new here on head-fi. Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before. Owning only a pair of KRK KNS 8400 studio phones and based on reviews/impressions, Mr. Speakers history/ Youtube videos and Dan putting everything he's got and over delivering in terms of value I decided to take the plunge and order the Aeon. Looking forward to it arriving at my doorstep and will be ordering the Schiit Jotunheim w/dac to pair with it. Not bad for a debut into high fidelity audio! 

Wow...Cannot wait to read your impressions after taking the plunge with such an amazing upgrade to what you are used to! Please come back after you get them, do some listening, and pick your jaw up off the floor. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #497 of 5,483
Now that we're on the topic of cables. I'm assuming if the cable can be reterminated to xlr that means it qualifies for 2.5mm trrs as well? If I order these I intend to use them with my the 2.5mm balanced output on my XDP-300R

Subsequent to your post, Dan confirmed the Aeon has full 4 wire cable so the choice of termination is wide open and, if you choose, there are any number of custom cablers who will convert your cable or build to suit.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #498 of 5,483
  Hey all, new here on head-fi. Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before. Owning only a pair of KRK KNS 8400 studio phones and based on reviews/impressions, Mr. Speakers history/ Youtube videos and Dan putting everything he's got and over delivering in terms of value I decided to take the plunge and order the Aeon. Looking forward to it arriving at my doorstep and will be ordering the Schiit Jotunheim w/dac to pair with it. Not bad for a debut into high fidelity audio! 

Welcome to the rabbit hole of owning Audiophile gear. It's a long way down but boy does it sure sound good on the way 
L3000.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #500 of 5,483
Based on measurements i think it will sound pretty close to the closed Ether non-flow (Ether C).

Differences may be that the Aeon has: 2-3 db more bass response below 150 HZ and smoother uppermids/low-reble.(2500-5000HZ is 2-3 db lower in response on Aeon compared to Ether C).

Otherwise they are pretty equal. So the Aeon has more bass, and the less pronouced uppermid/low-treble should give a slightly warmer tonal balance, where the mid-midrange is more pronouced as well as slightly more upper air/treble.

I think this in fact makes the Aeon's midrange better (more neutral), because the Ether C has a slightly splashy uppermidrange/low-treble.

Also the bass reponse is of course a nice addition, as some people have complained that the Ether C was basslight. Aeon's bass to midrange-response seems more "neutral" if neutral in fact is a 3-5 db elevated bass response below 200 hz.

Take my words with a big grain of salt, as I have not listened to either the Aeon or Ether C, I'm only basing my thoughts on Innerfideilty's measurements.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #502 of 5,483
In other threads on MrSpeakers gear, people have referred to him having a "house sound." I'm wondering if those who have heard the aeon and other mrspeakers stuff think the aeon retains this "house sound" or if it's more of a departure.

I would say the Aeon has the house sound of the Ethers and the Flows (not so much the Mad Dogs/other Dogs). 

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #503 of 5,483
I would say the Aeon has the house sound of the Ethers and the Flows (not so much the Mad Dogs/other Dogs). 

Agree. If you like Dan's gear, you'll most likely love the AEON's. Cheers

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #505 of 5,483
  So... when do these ship ? 

From their web site:

STATUS: Pre-Orders start 5PM Pacific, Jan 30. The first 500 headphones will ship by April 30, 2017. The first 250 units will be specially priced as a “thank you” to headphone enthusiasts who have so generously supported MrSpeakers!

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #506 of 5,483

From their web site:

STATUS: Pre-Orders start 5PM Pacific, Jan 30. The first 500 headphones will ship by April 30, 2017. The first 250 units will be specially priced as a “thank you” to headphone enthusiasts who have so generously supported MrSpeakers!

Why does it show that they are in stock ? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #508 of 5,483

From their web site:

[COLOR=FF0000]STATUS: Pre-Orders start 5PM Pacific, Jan 30. The first 500 headphones will ship by April 30, 2017. The first 250 units will be specially priced as a “thank you” to headphone enthusiasts who have so generously supported MrSpeakers![/COLOR]

Why does it show that they are in stock ? 

I think that is the countdown for the $100 discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back